Small Questions XII

Stubby

I think it is because Tywin used to say somthing along the lines: "I cannot prove you are not my son", so clearly he himself does not believe it. And there is the fact that Aerys took some "liberties" with Joanna when Tywin and Joanna were married, so some believe he raped her. Maybe there are other clues, I do not remember at the moment.

Some people also think that Jaime and Cersei are children of Aerys (incest and obsession with fire clearly being recognisable Targaryen features).

I've heard the "Aerys took 'liberties'" theory before, but wasn't this at Tywin and Joanna's wedding? If so, Jaime and Cersei would have had to have been born already in order for Tyrion to be a child of Aerys seeing as he is the youngest of the three.

As I type this though, I wonder if when Aerys was taking those "liberties" that Joanna may not have become pregnant with Jaime and Cersei, thus the Targ features.

Then, Tywin would always doubt their parentage and would be excited for the birth of a new child (whom he knows is his own) only to be disappointed with Tyrion having been born a dwarf. Then over the years Tywin convinces himself in his own weird mind that Tyrion was the incestuous born child and not the twins.

I've heard the "Aerys took 'liberties'" theory before, but wasn't this at Tywin and Joanna's wedding? If so, Jaime and Cersei would have had to have been born already in order for Tyrion to be a child of Aerys seeing as he is the youngest of the three.

As I type this though, I wonder if when Aerys was taking those "liberties" that Joanna may not have become pregnant with Jaime and Cersei, thus the Targ features.

Then, Tywin would always doubt their parentage and would be excited for the birth of a new child (whom he knows is his own) only to be disappointed with Tyrion having been born a dwarf. Then over the years Tywin convinces himself in his own weird mind that Tyrion was the incestuous born child and not the twins.

Yes, sorry, I was not plain enough. It is possible that either Tyrion or Jaime and Cersei are Aerys's.

Why incestuous? Tywin and Aerys were not related, as far as we know. If anything, all three of them could be called incestuous because Tywin and Joanna were first cousins.

I have a couple questions about Tywin from AFFC:

1. Page 69.After Tywin dies, the people in KL are all hushed, as if they were dead. Cersei thinks," They should be. It is not fitting for TL to die alone. Such a man deserves a retinue to attend his needs in hell".

Why on earth would she say that? Is hell a good place in her religion? LOL

2. Page 716 Being said by Genna Lannister to Jaime," It was not a game for girls. I was my father's precious princess ...and Tywin's too, until I disappointed him. My brother never learned to like the taste of disappointment".

What is she referring to? I don't think it's her marriage to Frey because her father set it up and he's included in that line. Although, she does say "him" and not "them".

Thank you!

Thinking about R+L=J here, how old is Jon in ADWD? I'm wondering about the age relation between him and Aegon, who Tyrion says in 16 or close enough to make no matter

The real Aegon should be 18-19, so either Tyrion is a bad judge of age (possible) or Aegon/YG is too young to be the real Aegon.

Jon, I believe is somewhere around 16-17.

1. Page 69.After Tywin dies, the people in KL are all hushed, as if they were dead. Cersei thinks," They should be. It is not fitting for TL to die alone. Such a man deserves a retinue to attend his needs in hell".

I thought it followed from the idea that a person can be a good ruler and a bad person. As in "he was a great man, but he's definitely going to hell". I hadn't considered the possibility that the outer levels of the seven hells might be considered analogous to our idea of paradise/heaven. Take your pick until we get more information about the Faith of the Seven.

2. Page 716 Being said by Genna Lannister to Jaime," It was not a game for girls. I was my father's precious princess ...and Tywin's too, until I disappointed him. My brother never learned to like the taste of disappointment".

What is she referring to? I don't think it's her marriage to Frey because her father set it up and he's included in that line. Although, she does say "him" and not "them".

It's most likely that she's referring to the marriage, which Tywin strongly disapproved of:

My betrothal was announced at a feast with half the west in attendance. Ellyn Tarbeck laughed and the Red Lion went angry from the hall. The rest sat on their tongues. Only Tywin dared speak against the match. A boy of ten. Father turned as white as mare’s milk, and Walder Frey was quivering.

It could also refer to the comment she made about Tyrion being more of a son to Tywin than Jaime, since the former two were closer in personality:

...Tyrion is Tywin’s son, not you. I said so once to your father’s face, and he would not speak to me for half a year.

Or it could be neither of these and something yet unrevealed to the reader.

Thank you!

1. Not sure, maybe she knows of the evils he committed but still loves and respects him.

2. When she told Tywin that Tyrion was his the son most like him.

The Faith has seven hells. These seem to range from the good (heavenly) to the bad, everybody goes to one of them.

Not sure it works like that. I'm thinking something more like Dante's stages of hell, which is parallel to the Christian concept of heaven.

EDIT: Damn you Lebron.

First burning question: Is The Hound actually dead, or did Thoros of Myr resurrect him?

There was all this talk of him being alive, but I distinctly remember Arya seeing him die. I also remember someone saying that an impostor (Vargo Hoat?) had taken The Hound's helmet. What's the deal?

Second burning questions (ADWD spoiler):

Is the gigantic knight Qyburn employs to champion Cersei actually The Mountain, meaning that he did not actually die after all and the Dornish got sent a fake head? I think the book hints at that, but am I completely crazy?

First burning question: Is The Hound actually dead, or did Thoros of Myr resurrect him?

There was all this talk of him being alive, but I distinctly remember Arya seeing him die. I also remember someone saying that an impostor (Vargo Hoat?) had taken The Hound's helmet. What's the deal?

Second burning questions (ADWD spoiler):

Is the gigantic knight Qyburn employs to champion Cersei actually The Mountain, meaning that he did not actually die after all and the Dornish got sent a fake head? I think the book hints at that, but am I completely crazy?

Here is a link to the Citadel's explaination of the most prodomient 'Sandor is alive' theory: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/Is_Sandor_dead/

If you search the boards there are many discussions around.

As to your second question: no you are not crazy (well you might be, I don't know you!). It seems likely that Robert Strong is Gregorstein.

Hey guys, I have a small question. After reading, then re-reading the whole series, I feel a little lost, like there's a little booky-void in my life that needs filling. Anyone got any suggestions to fill the aforementioned westeros-void?

Thank you.

I'm doing a re-read and I've found something that helps me tremendously. On the inside front cover and 1st page, I label each chapter and write a quick summery. Like I am in AFFC right now and wrote "Jaime, pg 800: Chat w/Edmund at RR "(riverrun). So if Jaime doesn't have another chapter for 200 pages, I quickly look back to what I wrote about his last chapter to refresh my memory of where he is and what he's doing.

Important passages and things I write on the back inside cover with their page number and a little note. I have written : Faceless man history, page 458, Children of the Forest info, page 114, Cersai's plan for Jon, pg 355, etc .Of course, I highlight the book like a mad woman. My books are not pristine anymore. They are a bloody mess LOL!

That is a good idea, im sure 50% of the info has went straight over my head with there being so much in these books, thanks.

Hey guys, I have a small question. After reading, then re-reading the whole series, I feel a little lost, like there's a little booky-void in my life that needs filling. Anyone got any suggestions to fill the aforementioned westeros-void?

Thank you.

Sigh... I'm in the same boat. I've picked up a lot of books since I finished reading all of Ice & Fire, but I just can't get into any of it.

In some religions there isn't the conception of punishment after death that Christianity has, Hell is just the place where the dead go. The classical greek Hades is like this, as is the ancient hebrew Sheol.

It seems to me the Seven is a medievalized version of an old pantheistic religion like the greeks had. The closest it seems to get to the christian idea of the Devil is the Stranger, although he is not generally worshiped directly he is as a valid part of the pantheon as the rest are. He is not anathema like the Devil is.

In the same way Hell, to Cersei, is not a terrible place of punishment like the christian Hell, just the land where the dead dwell.

One big thing people tend to overlook is the ages of the children.The actors who portray Arya, Sansa and Bran are going to change in appearance significantly as they stretch the seasons out. Years will go by in real time, but only months and so forth technically happen in the story.

How do you all think they will deal with this?

They've already aged most of the characters significantly, so I don't think it will be a problem. In the series Sansa is 13 instead of 11, Arya 11 instead of 9, Bran 10 instead of 7 and Rickon is practically non-existent anyway. The actresses who play Sansa and Arya were born in 96 and 97 respectively, which makes them 15 and 14 right now while filming season 2. I don't know how old Isaac is though. But a 2-3 year-gap really isn't all that bad when it comes to children in TV. Most teenagers are played by 20-something (like Dany and Jon and Robb for example). I'd rather keep Sophie, Maisie and Isaac if it means an age discrepancy because I think they are all perfect in their roles.

Archived