Unpopular opinions III

brashcandy

Another seemingly unpopular opinion. I liked Daario. I didn't really see a reason not to, he seemed bad ass. But that's probably because I'm a man and project myself into him while he's screwing with the Dragon Queen, right ladies? :rolleyes:

Sansa could become a political mastermind in the future; she's certainly getting a first-hand education in political realities; but she's still quite young. It might not be a bad idea for GRRM to age the kids up by at least three years; Arya has been incredibly lucky so far; but there's only so far that luck can take her, she needs more experience, not to mention height. Trouble is, since GRRM can't even get Tyrion from King's Landing to Mereen/Daenerys in two books, over a thousand pages and what, seven years, how long would it take him to cover all the events that a jump of three years would take? And are we supposed to believe that Littlefinger would keep his creepin' creepy fingers off Sansa for three years?

That's the thing... I mean IMO, this jump is vital is we're going to effectively imagine these children in some of the storylines that will unfold. Sansa coming to head to head with Cersei would make a lot more sense if she's about 16/17 and not 13/14. Arya, well that speaks for itself, and as for romantic relationships, it would kinda help to remove the stain of pedophilia too huh :)

I just don't see how he could do it though... right now he has Sansa in the Vale, and has to pick up with her storyline directly after AFFC. So right now she's still 13. She's learnt a lot, but she's still got a ways to go. Even if she manages to stop him poisoning Sweetrobin, what then? What happens to stop the marriage to Harry and slow LF's roll? Maybe it could be some devastating event in the North where it becomes impossible to move on the North or Harry runs off down South to win glory in a battle... yeah wild speculation, bear with me...

the only character that it works well with right now is Jon Snow... I could see him lying in the ice cells in the Wall for a while... but even that's unlikely! Unless... well it works good for others too. If it's a case where Dany has to spend that length of time cleaning up Meereen, and Aegon spends that time on the Iron throne.... but as you said, Martin would be mired in flashbacks and backstories... the same issue he had with the 5 yr gap. Ah well.

I also agree about Daario, except I'd call what he felt for her lust, not love. But I'm just being nitpicky; whatever you call it, I do think it was genuine.

It definitely started as lust, for both of them.. but I do think it became deeper as the time went on.

Unpopular opinions:

I hate that Sansa got boobs and is growing up. She's twice as boring now.

I hate Baelish. He's that fey little twerp shithead in everyone's 8th grade class. He's a bore. Just another pedophile in a book full of them.

I think going after 13yr olds makes you a pedophile. I dont care who's freckled 'world rules' and laws of time it is, us the readers are going to think of the character as 13yrs old and it's pedo bait.

I dont want Jon to die, zombify, warg... in fact, I want him to show he has a little blood in him.

I so hate Ygritte, I was hoping theyd skip over their woe-mance in the HBO series.

I want Jon's father to end up being Balon. Can we make that possible? He has dark hair, right?

And in being so, some more sibling incest. I dont care who he porks, Asha or Theon.

I hate Oldtown. I imagine it smells like old clothes and a mildewy library.

I hate the names Biter, Satin, Mance Rayder because they are so fucking obvious.

I dont want to go to Skagos. It has the word skag in it. Which fits Osha's character.

I dont like Osha.

I like the washerwomen better now that theyre a cloak.

I do not care for Mance. He's supposed to be so cool...why? He is lame.

Daario does not strike me as handsome. The way he's described, all I can think of is the new Burger King mascot who scares the living shit out of unfortunate people on their commercials.

I think nearly every man alive has had thoughts of raping a woman and putting her in her place, at one time or another. Usually when they're young. Just based on the fact that they have a lot more testosterone in them, are stronger than women and are all brought up with the idea that they are worth more than women. It would be strange if they didnt. And I think the books & characters reflect that.

I also think that it titillates more readers than it disgusts.

I dont like that Wex is described as having a pointy chin!

Unpopular opinions:

Daario does not strike me as handsome. The way he's described, all I can think of is the new Burger King mascot who scares the living shit out of unfortunate people on their commercials.

Somehow I don't think this is an unpopular opinion. Daario creeps the living hell out of me especially whenever his grill is described.

I get the feeling that Martin was going for a colorful Johnny Depp character and ended up with creepy clown.

That would explain so much, especially Dany's drooling. I was always like seriously...no wait...seriously???

I like the washerwomen better now that theyre a cloak.

That is such a terrible thing to say. :lol:

Another seemingly unpopular opinion. I liked Daario. I didn't really see a reason not to, he seemed bad ass. But that's probably because I'm a man and project myself into him while he's screwing with the Dragon Queen, right ladies? :rolleyes:

Well, that's all your business but for the record I rather like him myself. His description is hilarious, especially the sword with naked women on the hilt, and I don't really understand why he gets so much hate or why Dany gets so much hate for hooking up with him. Besides, he coined the term Ser Grandfather.

I really think Ashara's daughter would've made an awesome character/addition to the Stark kids. Everything else in this series has seven why not seven kids as well. And then Jon could've discovered Wylla and stopped angsting abot his mum every fucking paragraph.

Also I find it offensive that only males are allowed to lust after Dany ZB. Hey I was 14 when I first read the books i had such a schoolgirl crush on her then five years and two books later look how much things change

I really think Ashara's daughter would've made an awesome character/addition to the Stark kids. Everything else in this series has seven why not seven kids as well. And then Jon could've discovered Wylla and stopped angsting abot his mum every fucking paragraph.

Though a dead kid would totally fill in the Stranger archetype.

Unpopular opinions:

THIS!!! :lmao:

Also I find it offensive that only males are allowed to lust after Dany ZB. Hey I was 14 when I first read the books i had such a schoolgirl crush on her then five years and two books later look how much things change

Heh :3. I was making a zing at that post someone made a few pages back (I think brash might have made it?) about how men defend Tyrion because they're all ugly and get rejected all the time so they relate with him, but I don't think the reference translated. :P

And although I didn't picture myself in the scenes with Daario, I can't say I haven't day dreamed. ._.

But anyway, females are allowed to lust after the lovely Dany just as much as I. :)

About Ashara:

It's still sketchy. Barriston said that she was dishonored at Harrenhal but she supposedly killed herself two years later. & if she had killed herself soon after she had a stillbirth then the child had to have been conceived during the war if my timeline is right. Ned Dayne didn't seem to have knowledge of this.

Another thing is I'm sure that Barriston never saw the child so how can he confirm what happened. Ashara's body was never found either.

As for Wylla I think Ashara might have supplied her to Arthur as the wetnurse. Once Lyanna was dead someone had to feed the baby.

That is such a terrible thing to say. :lol:

Well, that's all your business but for the record I rather like him myself. His description is hilarious, especially the sword with naked women on the hilt, and I don't really understand why he gets so much hate or why Dany gets so much hate for hooking up with him. Besides, he coined the term Ser Grandfather.

Youre laughing because you know it's true :) We're obviously meant to cheer for them when they say really cheesy things to Theon like, "Don't you dare speak the late honorable totally foxy Lord Stark's words!", and, "Awww, weedle baybay gonna cwry? Waaaaah (tittytwister)." Theyre so obnoxious they make Theon look like Prince Phillip compared to them.

The naked woman on the hilt pushed him over into Kettleblack territory. Even worse.

And when I read that, I could imagine his bedchamber, decorated like a 70s bachelor pad. A lot of golds and oranges; mood lighting; shag carpeting on the walls, tons of mirrors, and, of course, a waterbed. You just know he introduces the ladies to it with the line, "This is where all the magic happens."

My unpopular opinion: There's a tiny part of me that hopes Jon really is just Ned's bastard son from an extramarital affair, simply because at this point, that would be the only truly shocking revelation about his parentage.

(Yes, I know there's a lot to support the R+L=J theory, and that the chances of Jon really being Ned's bastard are approximately .0000000000132%, etc etc. I'm just saying it would amuse me if this happened, simply because of how shocked the fandom would be.)

Oh yes. And best of all-- an extramarital affair with some random, low born wetnurse, Wylla. Not the product of Ned +the tragic and mysterious Ashara Dayne. (Because I do think that Ned banged Ashara during the war, hence all his guilt during his convo with Robert, and his reflections about "Robert swore undying love to them before the night was done, and forget them by the next morning, but Ned Stark remembered his vows.") Because it would be great if, in the end, there was really no tragic backstory, and Jon was what he appeared to be-- a product of Ned's inability to keep it in his pants.

Some more:

I hope sweet Robin lives (I'm not sure if this is unpopular, I've just heard a lot of people saying they hope LF is gonna off him.... :dunno:

I don't find Dolores Edd particularly funny.

I find Rhaegar obnoxious and o.p. Like Dany, if Dany were also a musical prodigy, the greatest knight/ warrior to ever live, and a scholar in addition to everything else.

I find Rhaegar obnoxious and o.p. Like Dany, if Dany were a musical prodigy, the greatest knight/ warrior to ever live, and a scholar.

Considering his duel with Robert he was obviously not the greatest knight/warrior to ever live. Generally you can't get your chest smashed in with a hammer if you want to claim that title.

The naked woman on the hilt pushed him over into Kettleblack territory. Even worse.

And when I read that, I could imagine his bedchamber, decorated like a 70s bachelor pad. A lot of golds and oranges; mood lighting; shag carpeting on the walls, tons of mirrors, and, of course, a waterbed. You just know he introduces the ladies to it with the line, "This is where all the magic happens."

This is pretty much the image I have of Daario and the grill doesn't help.

Archived