How to kill a knight in full plate armour?

The Red Lion

No, that looks fairly standard for a pig test. Naturally, there's the usual disclaimers about the pig carcass on a stick not being 100% equivalent to a living, breathing person, and of course the proficiency of the person doing the cutting, which seems to be in the lower end of the spectrum, certainly this seems to be the case with the false edge cuts. But, other than that it pretty much shows that 1. yes, weapons did work and they do quite a bit of damage to unprotected targets and 2. Riveted mail actually works. Additionally, 3. Butted mail is crap and was almost certainly never used, the rings were either riveted or stamped (usually a combination).

Attack the helm, stab for I eyes, knock him over, curcle until he is weak, run him down with a horse, mace or war hammer, light him on fire, push him into deep water, disarm his weapon, dagger in between folds in the armour, poison blade just nic him and walk away in slow motion.

Attack the helm, stab for I eyes, knock him over, curcle until he is weak, run him down with a horse, mace or war hammer, light him on fire, push him into deep water, disarm his weapon, dagger in between folds in the armour, poison blade just nic him and walk away in slow motion.

while he explodes in the background.

• 1 year later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=juIw20z5p0c&feature=endscreen any comments on this video ? bullcrap or not ?

Mostly good.

"Butted mail" is crappy mail, very little protection, real mail would not be thrust through like that.

Also a single layer of clothing gives very good protection against sword cuts, don't underestimate wool or cotton or linen.

Overall it is much better than most test cutting videos on youtube, but I don't think I have seen any that show fair scientific testing of historically accurate weapons against various flesh analogues, with various levels of protection added.

The guys edge alignment isn't the best, though I think the video demonstrates well that thrusts generally do much more damage than cuts.

Lord Reaver said most of it above, just thought I'd add my voice.

Stab a joint-opening, shadow assassins can pierce any armor easier than The Mountain, the Other's blades, drop a giant hammer on 'em like Bobby B, a powerful crossbow should do the trick, set 'em on fire, get your horse to run over them a couple times, warg their minds into pudding, any repeated strikes to the helmet with a powerful weapon are also an option, dragons, Suiton; Syukodan no Jutsu, etc.

Archived