Unpopular opinions, more of them

Woman of War

Oh no, she gets hit a few times. Arya, when hit, is hit far harder than Sansa, in addition to the other horrible things. Sansa has it much better than most characters.

Really?

Sansa could barely walk the day after after Ser Meryn (or maybe Ser Boros, I get those two mixed up, charming characters) BEAT HER WITH THE FLAT OF HIS SWORD ACROSS HER THIGHS.

Why are we still talking about this? The girls BOTH went through awful physical and psychological torture. End of story.

We don't need to keep one-upping.

Really?

Sansa could barely walk the day after after Ser Meryn (or maybe Ser Boros, I get those two mixed up, charming characters) BEAT HER WITH THE FLAT OF HIS SWORD ACROSS HER THIGHS.

Why are we still talking about this? The girls BOTH went through awful physical and psychological torture. End of story.

We don't need to keep one-upping.

Except the truth is Sansa's experience was not nearly as bad as Arya's. Other than the beatings, Sansa was utterly pampered, while Arya was half-starved most of the time.

What is the point of trying to say that being beaten a few times and stripped naked in front of the whole court is any better or worse than what Arya suffered? Why are you trying to say that abusing a child isn't that bad?

oh, HtH beat me again.

I'm not saying beating Sansa wasn't bad. But compared to many of the other characters, including her entire family - it was very minor.

Except the truth is Sansa's experience was not nearly as bad as Arya's. Other than the beatings, Sansa was utterly pampered, while Arya was half-starved most of the time.

I'm not saying beating Sansa wasn't bad. But compared to many of the other characters, including her entire family - it was very minor.

Again - no need to one up.

Sansa was constantly under threat of beating, rape, and feared for her life if Robb got too much of an upper hand. It was psychological torture, day in, day out. And she couldn't leave. And when she did leave, it was in the custody of Littlefinger, of all people.

Now stop. One upping. It doesn't. Matter.

you just said it was very minor-she's held captive by the family that slaughtered hers, she's frequently reminded that she may be beheaded, Joff sexually threatens her, she has no friends, they either want to use her for their cause or are probably spying on her. How is being a prisoner the same as being pampered?

But Hth beat me again, so please, stop saying she had it easy.

If you honestly think what Sansa went through was "very minor," I'm sure she'd be happy to trade places with you.

Again - no need to one up.

Sansa was constantly under threat of beating, rape, and feared for her life if Robb got too much of an upper hand. It was psychological torture, day in, day out. And she couldn't leave. And when she did leave, it was in the custody of Littlefinger, of all people.

Now stop. One upping. It doesn't. Matter.

I'm just refuting the person who said Sansa had it worse than Arya.

you just said it was very minor-she's held captive by the family that slaughtered hers, she's frequently reminded that she may be beheaded, Joff sexually threatens her, she has no friends, they either want to use her for their cause or are probably spying on her. How is being a prisoner the same as being pampered?

But Hth beat me again, so please, stop saying she had it easy.

She has servants who do everything for her. She doesn't even need to bathe herself, she has someone to do that. She eats lavishly and has free roam of the castle. She's a political prisoner, which is clearly not a prisoner prisoner. If you think she had it equally as bad as Arya, quite frankly, you're wrong.

If you honestly think what Sansa went through was "very minor," I'm sure she'd be happy to trade places with you.

I said very minor compared to what other characters went through, such as mutilation, castration, and people who were actually prisoners (lived in dirty shit filled cells and ate stale bread). And I would much rather be beaten than have frequent migraines that leave me screaming and unable to think straight for hours at a time.

I am so sorry I ever brought this up!

People both girls were abused badly and in similar and different ways and have suffered just as much as the other.

In my opinion Sansa suffered particularly from Psychological and Physical Abuse. Arya suffered through Deprivation and mass desensitisation to death and torture.

I am so sorry I ever brought this up!

People both girls were abused badly and in similar and different ways and have suffered just as much as the other.

In my opinion Sansa suffered particularly from Psychological and Physical Abuse. Arya suffered through Deprivation and mass desensitisation to death and torture.

This just isn't true.

She has servants who do everything for her. She doesn't even need to bathe herself, she has someone to do that. She eats lavishly and has free roam of the castle. She's a political prisoner, which is clearly not a prisoner prisoner. If you think she had it equally as bad as Arya, quite frankly, you're wrong.

I agree with this.

It’s not about one upping. It’s about what I believe was the whole point of Arya’s story in both ACOK and ASOS, which is that the low born people suffer the most during war. Sansa was a high born captive; Arya was a low born captive. Low born captives have it much worse.

If you are a high born captive and you yield, you get taken in and held for ransom. Sansa ate with her captors, slept in feather beds and went to royal events. No one cares if a low born captive yields. They get killed, tortured or called a traitor, for no reason at all, and forced into slave labor. They are lucky if they get fed. They get no privacy and sleep on flee ridden, straw beds.

They both got beat and threatened with rape, however, people defended Sansa, even to the king, and it eventually stopped. No one batted an eyelash when Arya got slapped around or caned. She got beat so much it was like it was normal for her; she would mention it in passing. If you are low born and you get beat, you consider yourself lucky that you didn’t piss off the wrong person and lose a limb or get killed. You could get killed for even looking at someone the wrong way and no one would say a thing.

Sansa got offered condolences for the deaths of her family members, even if they were traitors. However, no one cares if a serving girl’s brother dies. They get killed if their grieving or crying annoys one of the guards.

One of the themes of the series is that it is better to be rich in a situation than poor in the same situation. Sansa was on the rich side and Arya was on the poor side. It is not equal, and it is certainly not worse on the rich side. Being a low born captive is much worse both physically and psychologically, especially for a 9/10 year old girl who has grown up on the other side. I thought the whole point was to show that the situations were not equal at all.

True, it was for such a short period of time I forgot!

The difference is Hot Pie and co were Arya's friends and left her because they too needed to find somewhere they could live and survive. The Tyrells just used her as means to an end and then unlike Hot Pie and Co ditched her and stayed in the same place doing the same things and excluding her entirely.

Edit: also Arya's friends knew she was being taken to her mother at Riverrun. I doubt they would have left her if they thought she was going to be alone.

That was never a sure thing. Arya actually thought that her mother and Robb weren't going to pay her ransom. Lord Beric wasn't sure about what to do with her if that happened. & Thoros later saw in the fires that they were most likely dead. She wasn't secure yet which led to her being kidnapped by the Hound.

Unpopular Opinion: Rickon is not on Skagos - How does one smuggle a big angry unruly Direwolf via ship?

Edit: and the only one who knows about it is a mute boy!

A big angry unruly direwolf that follows a little boy everywhere? That should be easy, just get the boy on board and the direwolf will follow soon enough, especially if the boy calls/wargs him.

The graveworms within the dead horse are sobbing tears of blood from the beating. :bang:

Unpopular opinion: Jaime Lannister has not been at all redeemed.

Sigh, the horse won't die.

Anyway, I mostly agree that Jaime hasn't been redeemed. He at least started on a path to redemption, but I'm not sure he is still on it.

Sigh, the horse won't die.

Anyway, I mostly agree that Jaime hasn't been redeemed. He at least started on a path to redemption, but I'm not sure he is still on it.

Here's my very brief opinion re: Jaime

He hasn't been redeemed, but is tenuously on a redemption arc.

He's been trying not to go one way or the other - not go against his family, and not technically go against "honor". But soon he'll have to decide. He'll have to choose. He can't try to do both, which he's been trying to do. One of Jaime's biggest faults, I think, is letting other people do the thinking for him. First Cersei. Then, when they became estranged, he latched onto Brienne. Then when Brienne left, all he had to fall back on was his identity as a Lannister and as a soldier following orders.

He has yet to find his true identity. Not the Kingslayer, not Goldenhand the Just....just Jaime. He'll reach a point where he'll have to decide which way to go.

Sorry if that wasn't very cogent. ::ahem::

Archived