The Martells

Knepah

Wow, some great suggestions in this thread.

I never thought about Nazanin Boniadi playing a Martell. But great choice! Because of her heritage she has the mediterranean/Middle Eastern look about her and also the British accent. Great choice for either Nymeria or Arianne although I imagined Arianne with a slightly harsher look face-wise.

Emmanuelle Chriqui, as someone mentioned before, also seems great for Arianne, I think.

Zuleikah Robinson looks like a great Obara, I didn't know that Actress before.

Eric Aviari for Doran? Great!

But for Oberyn... I'm not sure about Oded Fehr. For me, Oberyn needs to be a little gaunt. I'm on Team Mark Strong!

Each time I picture Ellaria, as I said in another discussion, I see Indira Varma: she's sensual, exotic, and has the kind of stunning appearance, not classically beautiful, that Sansa notices in her POV chapter. Plus she played a mother in Rome and is believable as the mother of young children.

For Arianne, seems that she is kind of plump ( during the hottest scene of all the books IMO, Oakheart mentions her round belly). And I think that Anita Briem looks innocent and virginal enough for Tyene.

• 2 weeks later...

In all honesty, I think Banderas seems to be transitioning his career from leading man to more indie, supporting role, or voice work. A Woody Allen film, a small-budget indie thriller, an Amoldovar film, the heavy in Haywire... Working with HBO is an experience a lot of actors are praising, it's drawing storied names like Hoffman and Nolte and so on and so forth, and it's something Banderas has never done before. It might well appeal, and the numbers might not be as bad as one thinks.

But in all likelihood, no, isn't happening.

A downside to casting Antonio Banderas is it's a giveaway to non-book readers the character isn't going to be around for very long. An actor with that level of success is not going to sign on for a recurring role on a television series unless they're the star, and viewers know it. Not saying I'm against the casting, and if a star is going to to do a GoT cameo Oberyn is the role, but it is something to consider.

In all honesty, I think Banderas seems to be transitioning his career from leading man to more indie, supporting role, or voice work. A Woody Allen film, a small-budget indie thriller, an Amoldovar film, the heavy in Haywire... Working with HBO is an experience a lot of actors are praising, it's drawing storied names like Hoffman and Nolte and so on and so forth, and it's something Banderas has never done before. It might well appeal, and the numbers might not be as bad as one thinks.

But in all likelihood, no, isn't happening.

I really don't think he is the right person to play out favorite gout-ridden prince. If anything, I'd lose Antonio Banderas' Haywire beird, put some make up on him and turn him into a Daario.

Ian McShane might be a good fit for Doran. Or, as I said before, Ciaran Hinds (a la Julius Caesar in Rome).

A downside to casting Antonio Banderas is it's a giveaway to non-book readers the character isn't going to be around for very long. An actor with that level of success is not going to sign on for a recurring role on a television series unless they're the star, and viewers know it. Not saying I'm against the casting, and if a star is going to to do a GoT cameo Oberyn is the role, but it is something to consider.

I don't get your point... I mean Doran or Oberyn, neither was every going to be the star of the show anyway...

Antonio Banderas would be great casting for Oberyn, but he's probably too big a name for the role. He would either probably decline if offered, or be too expensive for the filmmakers.

Since Oberyn would only need to be around for maybe 2 episodes (one to intro his character & chat with Tyrion, and then the showdown with The Mountain), I can see a big name actor stepping into the role, since it would not prevent them from doing other work.

In fact, if the good reviews and awards continue, I can see a few big name actors/actresses stepping forward for glorified cameos.

Since Oberyn would only need to be around for maybe 2 episodes (one to intro his character & chat with Tyrion, and then the showdown with The Mountain), I can see a big name actor stepping into the role, since it would not prevent them from doing other work.

In fact, if the good reviews and awards continue, I can see a few big name actors/actresses stepping forward for glorified cameos.

I don't really think that's the way TV works. Plus, with the storyline expanding so much season 3 onwards, the set costs (They have cut Riverrun in this one!!) the HUGE cast, and other costs, I'd much rather have more book-faithful low-profile actors play these characters than huge superstars like Antonio Banderas. There has to be a cost-benefit analysis here. We want the story told well, after all...

Deepika Padukone as Nymeria Martell

http://i39.tinypic.com/21l7n04.jpg

She marries the required exotic beauty with a fierceness that is also necessary to play the role. She also has the intense eyes that all of the Sand Snakes (and their father) supposedly share.

Wow! She is gorgeous! I always pictured Nymeria more pale but whatever. She looks like she can be either Arianne or Nymeria. Is she a good actress? I don't know her.

I don't really think that's the way TV works. Plus, with the storyline expanding so much season 3 onwards, the set costs (They have cut Riverrun in this one!!) the HUGE cast, and other costs, I'd much rather have more book-faithful low-profile actors play these characters than huge superstars like Antonio Banderas. There has to be a cost-benefit analysis here. We want the story told well, after all...

True, but sometimes they get a big name actor to step into a minor, but flashy role, just to get their name out there and get the publicity, plus they get associated with an award winning show. (guest voices/roles on The Simpsons, Ed Norton or Nathan Lane on Modern Family, etc)

Archived