BEST AND WORST OF 2011

Nearly Headless Ned

I have heard of most of the books on the list, but fifteen actually earn some recognition. I have read three (Obreht, Russell, Morgenstern) of the books listed and they are all among the best that I have read this year. Six appear on my to-buy/library list. I am generally apathetic towards the rest, though I would probably pick them up if available. I have absolutely no interest in two (Durham, Bakker) of them though.

I have heard of most of the books on the list, but fifteen actually earn some recognition. I have read three (Obreht, Russell, Morgenstern) of the books listed and they are all among the best that I have read this year. Six appear on my to-buy/library list. I am generally apathetic towards the rest, though I would probably pick them up if available. I have absolutely no interest in two (Durham, Bakker) of them though.

What, phalli in various states pendulousness are not your thing?

I guess the best, for me, was What it's Like to Go to War by Karl Marlantes.

In the "I hated book 2 so I'm Quitting the Series" category I have The Wise Man's Fear and The Magician King.

Worst book of the year, though, was definitely A Dance With Dragons. 30% of it was terrific, but the other 70% was a chore to slog through.

Loved the first trilogy, thought The Judging Eye was a steaming pile of shit. Doesn't make me keen to continue.

White Luck Warrior is actually more of a return to the 'style' of the first trilogy, IMO.

I loved The Judging Eye though, I thought it was much, much better than White Luck, if only because it wasn't like the first three books.

Is Swmplandia! really that good? The "!" kinda kills all desire I have to read it.

Yes. The book's title is based on the alligator wrestling theme park that appears in the opening scenes. The story is the sort that lingers with you long after you've read it. At first I had mixed reactions and then the longer I thought about it and talked about it with others, the more it grew on me. Re-reading part of it a couple of weeks ago only strengthened my admiration for what Russell accomplishes here. It's a very strong debut novel (even if I still prefer her short fiction).

What are those six books?

Apparently, I've read about 90 books since I started the 365 days project in November 2010. Of which about 80 this year. Not too bad, I think ;)

Top 15 (series count as one) in no particular order because I can't decide:

1. The Habitation of the Blessed & The Folded World by Catherynne M Valente
  2. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
  3. The Year's Best Science Fiction v.24, 2007 (part 1, part 2)
  4. The Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Tchaikovski (vol 1, vol 2, vol 3, vol 4, vol 5, vol 6)
  5. The Kingkiller series by Pat Rothfuss (NotW, TWMF)
  6. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
  7. Midnight Riot/Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (didn't like the second one quite as much though)
  8. A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4) (reviews also contains random other stuff and cute animals)
  9. Various Wild Cards Novels by GRRM and friends (Jokers Wild, Aces High; Suicide Kings; Busted Flush; Inside Straight
  10. All the Windwracked Stars by Elizabeth Bear (the second part of the series is also really good, the third a bit less so, unfortunately)
  11. Rat Scabies and the Holy Grail by Christopher Dawes
  12. House of the Stag & The Anvil of the World by Kage Baker
  13. Snuff by Terry Pratchett
  14. Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King
  15. The Jacob's Ladder Trilogy by Elizabeth Bear (part 1, parts 2&3)

Honorable mentions:

Flops of the year: (i.e. book I really expected to be better)

Dishonorable mentions but not totally terrible:

White Luck Warrior is actually more of a return to the 'style' of the first trilogy, IMO.

I loved The Judging Eye though, I thought it was much, much better than White Luck, if only because it wasn't like the first three books.

I think that you and I are about the only ones who feel this way.

I think that you and I are about the only ones who feel this way.

I prefer Judging Eye over WLW too. I thought the pacing/chapter lengths worked a lot better. TDTCB or TFT is probably my favourite though.

Archived