BEST AND WORST OF 2011

Nearly Headless Ned

TDTCB or TFT is probably my favourite though.

Ah, yes. The Fourfold Thought. This is the famous unpublished set of prequels describing Moënghus’s discarded plans, together with The Reasonably Short Path and the The Gut Feeling Trance.

Ah, yes. The Fourfold Thought. This is the famous unpublished set of prequels describing Moënghus’s discarded plans, together with The Reasonably Short Path and the The Gut Feeling Trance.

I deserved that :) I was thinking "thousand fold thought" but four-fold is funnier. I guess that's what they'd call the hollywood version ;)

I prefer Judging Eye over WLW too. I thought the pacing/chapter lengths worked a lot better. TDTCB or TFT is probably my favourite though.

Yep, that was what I liked best about it. Plus, TJE added a lot of new ideas to the world, just without all the navel gazing that returned in full force in WLW.

I definitely think WLW will benefit quite a bit from a reread though.

Don't give Bakker any ideas. I'd totally buy all those.

I am going to buy this book. But it's because of what you said about it, and not because of the book group this person belongs to. There are LOTS of books that come out of that book group that I dislike, including recent Wildcards. (Sorry!)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :thumbsup:

We have not talked about worst covers for the year yet!

I present this generic crap as my nominee.

edit: link fixed(I hope)

This is my pick.

Amidst the chaos, Frank must find a way to end the war before the battling hordes of half-breed angels, vampires, and lycanthropes reach Eden and bring about the end of existence.
:stillsick:

:stillsick:

I think a quote from the review Mark linked to makes it sound even worse : "There is never a dull moment to be had in this story, from fighting werebears in the tomb of Adam, to lewd glances at his cousins cleavage."

In terms of bad cover art, it's perhaps too easy to pick on Baen Books covers, but I think this gem from the "Upcoming Cover Art" thread might win (although I'm not sure if it's actually a 2011 release).

ETA - in terms of good cover art, I think out of the books I read my favourite covers were for Rivers of London (probably not at its best in a small screenshot since you can't see all the detail) and Peadar's The Deserter.

"Amidst the chaos, Frank must find a way to end the war before the battling hordes of half-breed angels, vampires, and lycanthropes reach Eden and bring about the end of existence."

Ok, I have read this book. It was called Man with the Golden Torque, by Simon R Green at the time.

Damn, i take my hat off to the people who managed 85 books or more in a year!! i wish i can do that one day, but in the meantime i've only done less than 50. but it makes me really happy to see there are people around the world who still love the written word!! :) i am from mexico and people here barely manage to read 3 books tops on average each year. most hate it, but thanks to my american friend i stopped being one of them 4 years ago. On 2011 i went to the states and bought 30 books. i'd been saving for a couple of years to be able to go to Barnes & Nobles and get all the books i can't get in my city. so my wish finally came true when i got books such as

A Song of Ice & Fire 1-5, Howard's End by E.M. Foster, Far From the Madding Crowd by T. Hardy, Vivien Leigh's Biography by Alexander Walker, Bleak House by Dickens, The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle and well, some more... my friends all looked at me as if i had gone crazy when they saw all the books, but my best friend understood: it was $ well spent.

Anyways, i haven't read all of them yet since october because i began reading the Song of Ice and Fire books then and i haven't been able to leave them alone since (I'm currently reading ACOK for the third time),and i have now made my best friend involved with the books as well. but still, cheers to all the bookwormds around the world!! :cheers:

Archived