What is the purpose of UnCat?

alienarea

Does UnCat need to be more than an avenger? Violation of the guest right is supposed to invoke the wrath of the gods, so unCat, revived by the power of R'hllor, can be considered an instrument of god (the gods, whatever.) The Starks have taken more than enough, and what happened to Cat at the Red Wedding, and after, was particularly vile. It is time for the Starks to strike back, and considering that the Freys, via the Lannisters, were so cruel and indiscriminating at the Red Wedding, it is fitting that they are pursued by a ruthless Nemesis.

I think is the biggie, the more I think about it. She has to confront Jaime about it, true. I'm sure Jaime never dreamed that his little throwaway quip would end up getting used how it was, and something tells me that Jaime as he is now would be disgusted by it.

I think that line will also effect Brienne. She was at Harrenhal and heard Jaime say Give Robb Stark my regards. At the time Jaime even thinks she is too dumb to realize what it means. I have a feeling when UnCat asks Jaime about it, then all the gears might start clicking into place (well sort of) and she is going to think Jaime was involved: que fight to the death between Jaine and Brienne......which Jaime throws because he can't kill Brienne or something similar.

Please excuse me if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything using forum search.

What is the purpose of UnCat for the story?

Someone else could have started hanging Freys for the Red Wedding, for example it could have been a good entry point for Howland Reed into the story.

Someone else could have been hunting for Jaimie Lannister, even without him being hunted the plot isn't diminished.

Will she be the one to kill Roose Bolton?

I loaned my Game of Thrones book to someone, so I cannot look up exactly what took place, but I remember Ned sending Beric Dondarrion on a mission when he was Hand of the King, that I thought Dondarrion was still leading a resistance when he was made "un-dead" by Theros of Myr using powers from the Red God. Dondarrion became weary of being killed and resurrected one too many times and passed along his "mission" to Cat. I think he saw Cat a fitting replacement for himself since she was Ned's widow and Robb's mother. Then he could finally rest in peace at last knowing she would continue the resistance.

On a side note, makes me wonder if it somehow connects to the whole "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger" line. Granted, it's a stretch since that is an ironborn line and we all know Cat is the exact opposite of that culture, but there is a sense of irony here.

It is not a question of culture but power. Which being(s) grants the power to raise the dead? I believe some connection is definitely there.

My theory is that caitlin will go on to retake riverrun with the brotherhood without banners and jamie and brienne. We already know that one of the brotherhood has been trying to get service at riverrun (tom of sevenstreams) and that brienne has dissappeared with jaime in tow, who has not been seen for some time. I think that in order to prove his loyalty to caitlin, jaime will have to aid her in retaking riverrun (possibly using his status as a lannister to help him do so). Without his arm he won't be much use physically but he shouldnt need to be, and he's still capable of defending himself. One minor flaw is that if i remember rightly, Emmon Frey (newly appointed lord of riverrun)'s wife is a lannister, however she didn't seem very fond of her feeble, weak-minded husband when she spoke with jaime in feast for crows. What are other people's thoughts on this?

Emmon's the key. By taking advantage of his shifty ways, the BwB will get Riverrun back a lot quicker than it took the the Frey army to capture it, and with just about as little loss of life too. His wife may be smart enough to hit the bricks when Emmon ignores the warning signs, or if she goes down with the ship we'll get to hear more of her excellent lines as she tells Em he's an idiot. BwB may trick Emmon with the classic Battlestar Galactica tactic: you know he's super paranoid and will take an over-aggressive stance, so get him to commit all his forces to "crush" an attack that intel says is coming, but then come at Riverrun from another way while it's undefended. Or just have your operative open the gate at night and let Catelyn scare Em into running around like a fool until his own men think he's batty and lose any respect for him which they barely had to begin with. Etc.

Might be there is a final reckoning with littlefinger. He betrayed Eddard and got him killed. Even though he is keeping Sansa safe, it's not all for the right reasons.

I imagine if LF found out Catelyn was alive, he would be motivated to seek her out because she's his old fling. What would happen if they got together? What if unCat knew Baelish tricked Eddard and had the gold cloaks kill all his men from winterfell, I think she'd do something nasty!

I'd like it, anyway.

I can't see rivverun falling anytime soon, even if they could take it how would they hold it? It seems like she is more associated with the 7 than R'hollor,Lord beric was raised 6 times and he raised her the 7th ressurection a number holy to the faith.Septon Meribald mention something about revenants, which I believe is a spirit that is sent back because it has suffered some great injustice,it is avengeful spirit.There is mention that men of faith were shocked by the red wedding and fell that throne is complicit,someone needs to be punished. Cersei made the descision that this could wait for Walder Frey to die. But now that Cersei will be highly dependent on the new HS to stay in power he could call for a trial to judge the Freys, wouln't everybody be shocked if Uncat testified at the trial.

Might be there is a final reckoning with littlefinger. He betrayed Eddard and got him killed. Even though he is keeping Sansa safe, it's not all for the right reasons.

I imagine if LF found out Catelyn was alive, he would be motivated to seek her out because she's his old fling. What would happen if they got together? What if unCat knew Baelish tricked Eddard and had the gold cloaks kill all his men from winterfell, I think she'd do something nasty!

I'd like it, anyway.

That was basically going to be my answer.

It would be satifying if Littlefinger had to face Uncat and I suppose it could happen but it was Cats and Eddards descision for him to go to King Landing, I don't think killing him is a priority. We have a lot of POV's for her after Neds death but I can"t recall that she gave Petyr a single thought, I believe she defended him and his love for her when Jamie mentioned that LF boasted ofhaving her madienhead. I have a feeling that her and Jamie are going to have a long discussion sometime soon and we will see how that goes.

I agree, i think her eventual role will be to reveal everything that she has seen to other people. I think she also adds another layer of danger to the realm, afterall, her prescence is noted all over westeros; she has become kind of legendary. Finally, I want UnCat to learn that Bran and Rickon are alive,so that Catelyn can rest in peace.

I agree, i think her eventual role will be to reveal everything that she has seen to other people. I think she also adds another layer of danger to the realm, afterall, her prescence is noted all over westeros; she has become kind of legendary. Finally, I want UnCat to learn that Bran and Rickon are alive,so that Catelyn can rest in peace.

And hopefuly Sansa and Arya as well. I wonder what she will think if she finds out Jon Snow could be the King and not Neds bastard at all.

• 4 months later...

Personally. I always thought that Jon's continued mentions of wanting to have a son named after Robb and Catelyn wanting nothing more than Robb alive were connected somehow. Maybe Catelyn getts her vengeance, learns her family is alive, learns the truth about Jon and that Ned was always faithful -- reconciles her issues with Jon by giving life to his son and thus giving 'Robb' back his life. Kind of schmaltzy but I always liked the idea.

...On a side note, makes me wonder if it somehow connects to the whole "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger" line. Granted, it's a stretch since that is an ironborn line and we all know Cat is the exact opposite of that culture, but there is a sense of irony here.

From a literary standpoint, I think it has a strong connection. The blurring of the line between dead and not dead is a theme which manifests throughout the ASOIAF series.

Aeron Damphair drowns and revives his followers, and this ties in most closely with the 'What is dead may never die" benediction.

Thoros resurrects Dondarion multiple times, who in turn resurrects Catelyn.

The Others resurrect the dead to create wights.

In addition, the story is full of "plot resurrections," wherein the reader believes a character is dead and is mistaken or tricked.

Examples: Bran and Rickon who are not really killed by Theon, Theon who is not really killed by Ramsay, Mance who is not really burned by Stannis, Asha and Arya who survive savage head blows, and so on.

In addition to chewing gum and killing Freys, Catelyn is simply also part of this pervasive dead/not dead theme.

Archived