January 2012 - New Year, new reads

mashiara

Finished "The Autumn war" by Abraham and let´s just say I was rather surprised at the ending to put it mildly. A really solid and sound effort by the author.

Next on the list is "The Blade of Tyshalle" by Stover. 200 pages and so far I am loving it.

Finished "The Autumn war" by Abraham and let´s just say I was rather surprised at the ending to put it mildly. A really solid and sound effort by the author.

Next on the list is "The Blade of Tyshalle" by Stover. 200 pages and so far I am loving it.

How can you read the conclusion to an Autumn war and not immediately dive into price of spring????!!!!!!!!

Arctic Rising by Tobias Buckell

How is it? The descriptions have sounded interesting.

Reading Blue Remembered Earth - enjoyable in an optimistic Arthur C. Clarke, look-at-the-shiny-stuff sort of way (I love Clarke, so I mean that positively) but except for a few flashes of interest on robot vs human space exploration as ideologies, it's a bit milquetoasty.

How is it? The descriptions have sounded interesting.

Reading Blue Remembered Earth - enjoyable in an optimistic Arthur C. Clarke, look-at-the-shiny-stuff sort of way (I love Clarke, so I mean that positively) but except for a few flashes of interest on robot vs human space exploration as ideologies, it's a bit milquetoasty.

It's very good. Not as push-the-envelope or what-if as something like Windup Girl, but it's much more readable. The characters are great, and the plot is very James Bond with an environmentalist bent. I thought it was a ton of fun and it's nice to see a female black lesbian protagonist that reads believable.

How can you read the conclusion to an Autumn war and not immediately dive into price of spring????!!!!!!!!

A good question!

Actually amazon doesn´t even have any English print edition available in my country and the German translation is overpriced and probably inferior. I will need to get the English ebook edition for kindle, something I usually try to avoid as I basically detest ebooks (please don´t throw stones at me).

Hey Shinrei, what's up man? :D

Not much, QT. But if your thinking "hey, that must be Shinrei no shintai from the malazan forum", then i have to disappoint you ;) Although, as you can see, i kind of know some people around those parts of the internet ;)

How about you?

On topic, as kind of a sidenote - I received the new Esslemont book on Monday...can't wait to dig in.

Finished my first Culture novel. Enjoyed it emmensly. Never seen the timeline done like that before. AND I finally found out who the Chairmaker is, after seeing him on villian threads from so long ago.

Now doing some rereads, Wyrd Sisters is up first. Surely in my top five Pratchetts. Used to be a Vimes man, now I am Team Granny (to borrow from another set of fans).

Finished Broken Angels. Was pretty good, though something about it felt a bit... I dunno disappointing and maybe unfinished, like part of the story got chopped off.

I started The Idiot and so far, it's been slow going. Thankfully, having a Kindle means free access to a lot of the literary classics that I've always ignored, so even if I think it sucks, I at least didn't pay any money for it.

The Idiot is the single greatest novel ever written by anyone ever. This is not my opinion, it is fact.

Does this mean what I think it means. That you truly believe that reading somehting that is popcorn fun future Military SF is a sign of bad taste? Thus implying that your taste is impeccable?

Ah internet. Some peoples kids. LOL.

This is cute. I haven't heard the phrase, 'some people's kids' since 2003.

Alas, i am indeed implying my taste is better. Anything that falls under the black library, war hammer, D&D, or a Star Wars/Trek licenses in my book is pretty much shit.

Saying that, the reason i made the post is to continue the theme of me making fun of nick or grack about their love of all things shitty.

I wouldn't expect you to understand, as you have so few posts.

On topic though. I just finished God's War and started Infidel. Also trying to slog my way through Cordain's new Paleo Answer book.. the follow up to the Paleo Diet. Not the most exciting of reads. I may re read The Road this month. I've been feeling pretty good about myself, and need something to bring me back down.

Finished my first Culture novel. Enjoyed it emmensly. Never seen the timeline done like that before. AND I finally found out who the Chairmaker is, after seeing him on villian threads from so long ago.

Now doing some rereads, Wyrd Sisters is up first. Surely in my top five Pratchetts. Used to be a Vimes man, now I am Team Granny (to borrow from another set of fans).

I was going to pick this up today but the closer B&N didn;t have ANY Banks books. :(

Love me some culture. Tell me what you think of the Minds. Are they dictators, or benevolent nannies?

If I can find any of the damn books. Once borders closed the two B&N left here stopped trying. It's fucking sad.

are you reading "use of weapons" by any chance?

it is one of the books that i'm currently reading and a chairmaker has been referenced several times. the timeline is kinda wonky also. i'm enjoying parts of it but its a little disjointed.

Love me some culture. Tell me what you think of the Minds. Are they dictators, or benevolent nannies?

UoW was my first experience. There was a 1984 vibe, but with no one caring. Going to try Player of Games soonish.

For some reason I was intimidated to start the novel, sure glad I did.

And Prince, ya, it was Use of Weapons. Stick it out, I loved it.

I've moved to e-readers, yet I won't put anybody who hasn't down. It's a personal desicion.

Mine is mostly a space deal, I just can't store any more books.

Well that and the nearest bookstore is probably over 100-200 miles away

(not counting the ONE used bookstore here in town that sells almost exclusivly Romance/Western.)

I've moved to e-readers, yet I won't put anybody who hasn't down. It's a personal desicion.

Mine is mostly a space deal, I just can't store any more books.

Well that and the nearest bookstore is probably over 100-200 miles away

(not counting the ONE used bookstore here in town that sells almost exclusivly Romance/Western.)

Now is that romance AND Western, or the store specializes in books that combine the two? :laugh:

And Grack, I was anti E-reader myself until I borrowed one. The e-ink ones are pretty sweet. Still only reading about a quarter of my books on them through.

edit: And ya, Use of Weapons was a find place to start. No back story was needed to jump in, nor do I feel like I was missing any knowledge when done.

Archived