January 2012 - New Year, new reads

mashiara

I love the Matthew Swift books but I read a bit of Iron Druid and it did nothing for me. (Too self congradulatory.) We need to stop treating Urban Fantasy as an undeferentiated mass, I think.

Reading more of Flashman. They're kind of addictive fun, though the first one was clearly making a point, but either its not anymore or its making it via literary references i've never read (The Prisoner of Zenda? Uncle Tom's Cabin?) so its just kind of a swashbuckling fun adventure series - with an ass for a hero, which makes it a bit weird at times.

I gotta try Griffin's urban fantasy, I have enjoyed her epic stuff.

Are we thinking of the same person? Griffin has written other books, published under her real name Catherine Webb, but they're YA and I don't think they're epic fantasy really. But since I haven't read them, I may be wrong. She's not written anything else.

I really should get onto her YA books. She wrote her first published book at 14 for something to do in her summer holidays - suck on that, Paolini. And it's supposed to actually be good, too.

I love the Matthew Swift books but I read a bit of Iron Druid and it did nothing for me. (Too self congradulatory.) We need to stop treating Urban Fantasy as an undeferentiated mass, I think.

See I am the reverse. The Swift books were too dense for Urban Fantasy to me and I felt and they got bogged down pace-wise. As far as British-based Urban Fantasy I go for Mike Carey every time. I think the point of Iron Druid books IS to be self-congratulatory, or at least that's how I read it. It's very self-aware and makes fun of itself a lot.

Are we thinking of the same person? Griffin has written other books, published under her real name Catherine Webb, but they're YA and I don't think they're epic fantasy really. But since I haven't read them, I may be wrong. She's not written anything else.

I really should get onto her YA books. She wrote her first published book at 14 for something to do in her summer holidays - suck on that, Paolini. And it's supposed to actually be good, too.

No, I am being an idiot and thinking the wrong person. It's not the first or last time I'll get names completely wrong.

Finished 1610 by Mary Gentle, and finally finished listening to Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore.

Liked both, although the latter was a bit too much style over substance at times.

Detailed reviews coming up on LJ and goodreads soon ;)

And now, shock! horror! I've run out of new books! :bawl:

I've got some ordered but they haven't been delivered yet.

So I'm reading the German version of The Baker's Boy by J.V. Jones which a friend lend me. In the first chapter, the protagonist has killed his servant and raped the drugged-unconscious queen...I foresee lovely things to come...

So I'm reading the German version of The Baker's Boy by J.V. Jones which a friend lend me. In the first chapter, the protagonist has killed his servant and raped the drugged-unconscious queen...I foresee lovely things to come...

WTF?

And now, shock! horror! I've run out of new books! :bawl:

I've got some ordered but they haven't been delivered yet.

WTF?? Is is wrong for me to be more shocked and outraged by this?

WTF?

I know...he seems to be your typical anvilicious evil chancellor type...

The worse thing though is that everyone has names like a random handful of scrabble tiles, so I can't remember who they are. (except Jack, but he's foreign)

WTF?? Is is wrong for me to be more shocked and outraged by this?

No. It is outrageous. :(

I finished Faith by John Love. I found it strange and original. I hope I don't forget to nominate it for next year's Hugos...

I finished this Monday morning and I agree, it did get pretty strange. But I loved it. I would never have guessed it was a debut.

Finished up Traitors Gate. It dragged more than the first two, but I actually enjoyed the last 150 pages as much as any in the series. Minor things buged me, like a brother and sister going by "sis" and "brah," and some very clunky conversation editing(Even had my wife read a passage for me to see if I was being dumn, neither of us could figure out which of the four named people were speaking at what time).

Next I have a choice, either Phoenix Rising: Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, or Triumff:Her Majesty's Hero, both ebook deals. I will decide at lunch which one.

I love Mike Carey too, tbf, it's an excellent series. No new ones on the horizon for now, though. :(

Have you tried Ben Aaronovitch's series yet? That's a promising one.

Yep, read the first two books. Great stuff!

Have you read Carey's ongoing comic series UNWRITTEN yet? It's excellent!

Libraries? In Luxembourg? Rofl.

Seriously, in terms of getting novels in English, Luxembourg's a wasteland. You'd get the stuff that's on the syllabus for high school, and some Stephen King novels, and that's it.

Another thing I really miss about living in the UK are used-book shops.

Archived