January 2012 - New Year, new reads

mashiara

I've been on a Colum McCann kick. I seriously want to go to the man's house and tell him how awesome I think he is. Read Everything in this Country Must in one sitting.

I also just read Donald Ray Pollock's The Devil All the Time which I was pretty good.

I finished Iain M. Banks' Feersum Endjinn.

I started it once and the phonetic narration just killed me.

Finished Gardens of the Sun, sequel to The Quiet War (Paul MacAuley) and liked that one too. Also Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, which I had read before, it turns out, but I remembered nothing. Now reading Michael Flynn's Eifelheim which is a bit weird atm, and I got through most of the second Flashman yesterday over a couple of long bus rides.

Sorry, it was in the prior issue. This should be the cite: Connell, Dan and Frank Smith. “Africa’s New Bloc.” Foreign Affairs. March/April 1998, pp. 80-94.

Found it! Thanks a lot. It's more depressing than I thought it would be.

Just started reading Snuff by Terry Pratchett. Sadly it's much less enjoyable than Discworld series in general, and than the latest books of the series in particular. I'm beginning to worry, that PTerry's disease starts influencing his work.

Just finished Tigana (Guy Gavriel Kay) and, though it's somewhat repetitive to his earlier books, enjoyed it. Also reading Cemetary in Prague (Umberto Eco). It started promisingly, but then became increasingly boring.

Just started reading Snuff by Terry Pratchett. Sadly it's much less enjoyable than Discworld series in general, and than the latest books of the series in particular. I'm beginning to worry, that PTerry's disease starts influencing his work.

I don't believe that. He has had lulls before, then hit with something big. I really struggled through Theif of Time, then a few books later he blows us all away with Night Watch.

Well, I sincerely hope it's not the case. But since Night Watch, now that you mentioned it, only Going Postal and Making Money (not including Tiffany Aching stories) IMHO met high expectations. Thud! and (especially) Unseen Academicals were moderate disappointments and Snuff seems to be an even bigger one. But I do hope there will be another big thing. Scouting for Trolls, perhaps?

Well, I sincerely hope it's not the case. But since Night Watch, now that you mentioned it, only Going Postal and Making Money (not including Tiffany Aching stories) IMHO met high expectations. Thud! and (especially) Unseen Academicals were moderate disappointments and Snuff seems to be an even bigger one. But I do hope there will be another big thing. Scouting for Trolls, perhaps?

There's a saying that if you ask 30 Pterry fans for their favourite Discworld novel, you get 30 different answers, but still...

I didn't like Making Money much, but adored Thud!. Unseen Academicals was really a bit weak, but the Tiffany book I Shall Wear Midnight, which came out around the same time was pretty good.

I quite liked Snuff. It's not one of the best, but pretty solid in terms of plot and themes. I think Terry tends to concentrate on morals and politics rather than action lately.

Thief of Time is one of my favorites. :dunno:

I'm looking forward to the SF thing he's doing with...Stephen Baxter? I'd quite like to read something from Pratchett that isn't overtly humor, actually, though I don't know if this is supposed to be.

I started it once and the phonetic narration just killed me.

I don't think I could have made it through the book if it had all been in that style. One chapter out of every four I could cope with, although I suspect Bascule's chapters took about as much time to read as all the other POVs put together.

Just started reading American Gods and so far its kind of boring. I am about 300 pages in so hope it starts to pick up.

It doesn't really "pick up." It is certainly not an action novel. If you don't like at 300, there may be no hope.

Though this means we can never be friends.............. Ok, fine, maybe we can be friends despite this.

Finished The Books of the South, the second Black Company omnibus. This series is getting better and better imo, though I was a bit bothered by the lack of resolution at the end of Dreams of Steel. The spin-off, The Silver Spike, is great too.

I'm now reading Michael Chabon's The Mysteries of Pittsburgh.

Just started reading American Gods and so far its kind of boring. I am about 300 pages in so hope it starts to pick up.

Heh, one of the best books I've ever read, but I had this feeling from the very beginning, so I don't think it would 'pick up' for you. Probably it's just not your cup of tea.

Heh, one of the best books I've ever read, but I had this feeling from the very beginning, so I don't think it would 'pick up' for you. Probably it's just not your cup of tea.

Indeed, ^^This.

IMHO, AG is indeed one of the best books ever written, but yeah if you aren't impressed by page 300, sadly chances are you won't be later on.

Archived