January 2012 - New Year, new reads

mashiara

Finished Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue.Historical fiction written about a girl who longs for a better station in life and ends up working the streets of London Takes place in the 1760s. I didn't like the main character very much but I found the progress of her characterization interesting. Overall it was a quick, interesting read.

Reading Blood Reaver by Aaron Dembski Bowden. More 40k!!

Sorry peterbound, my brain is too far gone for me to worry about it now :D

I'm also just starting The Last Hot Time by John m Ford, which is really good so far. Found it used ( cheap! ) and in near perfect condition over the weekend.

Oh and Nickg.. Fuck Warhammer. Get some fucking better taste man, your brain is going to turn to mush on that shit.

Does this mean what I think it means. That you truly believe that reading somehting that is popcorn fun future Military SF is a sign of bad taste? Thus implying that your taste is impeccable?

Ah internet. Some peoples kids. LOL.

I just finished Princess: the True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia. Tore through it in two days, which is lightening fast for me. Although I am skeptical about how "true" the total book is, I have no doubt that it is at least based on true events, and it was a heartbreaking and eye-opening read. Despite being written back in 1991 (there is a brief post-9/11 update), based on what I saw in Riyadh, things haven't changed much.

Reading Faith by John Love. It's excellent. I'm surprised by the lack of hype for this.

Faith was awesome. Jdiddy is right about Night Shade. They had some really good debuts last year that didnt get much hype ( though Faith got even less ). Seriously though, everyone should try Faith.

Well i finished up Eye of the World but interrupted my Wheel of Time re-read with a small book that won't be more than a hiccup surely... Quicksilver by Stephenson. Reading this book with the "Barock" radio channel on iTunes filling the room makes for some hotfire reading bliss.

Read through Jeffrey Ford's short story collection, The Empire of Ice Cream. One or two stories were a little too surreal for me to really enjoy, but all of them were quite well written.. The only real drawback was that none of the stories really jumped out and grabbed me. Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying more by Ford in the future.

Also finished Absolution Gap by Reynolds. I can see why a lot of people have been disappointed with the third Revelation Space book. It certainly wasn't the concluding book in the trilogy it should have been. It hardly even finished off the whole Inhibitors plot arc at all. Oh well.

I then borrowed my dad's nook so I could download and read Ted Chiang's The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate. Wonderful story. Shows Chiang at the height of his writing powers. I sure hope Subpress reprints it someday so I can buy a physical copy.

About to start When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger. And now that I've finished Absolution Gap, I'm going to jump into Galactic North.

Finished these recently:

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon. Definitely the weakest of what I've read by him so far, which I guess can be forgiven since he wrote it in his early twenties.

White Night by Jim Butcher. Another enjoyable entry in the Dresden Files. I think Dead Beat is still my favorite so far.

The Affirmation by Christopher Priest. It's clever, well-written, but unfortunately also quite boring. Didn't enjoy it near as much as some of his other novels.

Rogue Moon by Algis Budrys. A thought-provoking meditation on death with characterisation that's unusually good for SF of its time. Recommended.

Terminal World by Alastair Reynolds. Another good novel, although somewhat of a departure from the author's previous work. I definitely enjoyed it, but I still prefer Reynolds' deep space stuff.

I'm now halfway through Akutagawa's Rashomon and Seventeen Other Stories.

Read through Jeffrey Ford's short story collection, The Empire of Ice Cream. One or two stories were a little too surreal for me to really enjoy, but all of them were quite well written.. The only real drawback was that none of the stories really jumped out and grabbed me. Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying more by Ford in the future.

I loved, loved, loved The Annals of Eelin-Ok - one of my favorite short stories ever.

Finished Broken Angels. Was pretty good, though something about it felt a bit... I dunno disappointing and maybe unfinished, like part of the story got chopped off.

I started The Idiot and so far, it's been slow going. Thankfully, having a Kindle means free access to a lot of the literary classics that I've always ignored, so even if I think it sucks, I at least didn't pay any money for it.

I started The Idiot and so far, it's been slow going. Thankfully, having a Kindle means free access to a lot of the literary classics that I've always ignored, so even if I think it sucks, I at least didn't pay any money for it.
The Idiot is one of the best books I've ever read and my second best by Dostoyevski, after The Brothers Karamazov. But it got me astonished from the very first scene on a train, so I guess you might not like it after all.

On the field of Russian literature, only Mikhail Bulgakov and his Master and Margerita can compete with Dostoyevski IMHO.

I have read many Warhammer Fantasy/40k books that are far better than more popular series like Malazan and Dresden Files. There are some that are better than ASOIAF imo. So what you said is just plain wrong.

Thanks man, you've made my day. I haven't laughed that hard since...i can't even remember. It felt good.

On topic: I am in the middle of An Autumn War. Loving it so far. Daniel Abraham spins an entrancing tale in a very unique setting.

Archived