Who is ser Robert Strong gonna face in the trial?

Revan Baratheon

Because it had been several days by then, and Jaime's hand was rotting by the time they arrived at Harrenhal. I doubt modern docs could've reattached it in that condition. It'd require microsurgery.

well gregors body would also have started rotting, hence the need to keep the face hidden etc...besides if you can make a franken-gregor (which modern docs couldnt do) why not a rotten hand?

and beric is in various stages of decomposition so i dont really see the hand rotting as being the reason.

Lancel Lannister versus even a third of what Gregor was alive is a good joke for a moment of reflection, but otherwise I just can't see it happening. The poor boy doesn't feel that much remorse for his past mistakes.

It is not about being mad, it is about his newfound religious fanaticism. Lancel is a true convert who believes entirely in the indestructible, undefeatable power of the seven. The man came fashion modell close to starving himself to death due to his belief that the seven would provide his body all the nourishment it needed. The only reason he did not end up killing himself that way is because he decided he had been called upon to take up the cause of the FM. Now that he has dedicated himself to them, it is entirely possible that he willsee it as an honor to be chosen as their champion (and he may well be the only volunteer they have) and that he entirely believes that he CANNOT lose because he will have the seven on his side.

Another possibility is always that RS will be "unmasked" in some fashion prior to the trial, and Cersei will be forced to choose a different champion. Or, as mentioned before, the HS may have some champion of his oen that we have not seen yet, tucked carefully out of sight for just such an occasion. This HS seems like the type of guy who likes to keep his bases covered, and he will definitely do everything in his power to prevent the Faith losing face or credibility by being defeated in a trial. And since we have no idea where he came from, we also have no idea who or what he might have brought with him.

well gregors body would also have started rotting, hence the need to keep the face hidden etc...besides if you can make a franken-gregor (which modern docs couldnt do) why not a rotten hand?

and beric is in various stages of decomposition so i dont really see the hand rotting as being the reason.

You really think Jaime would want a rotten hand sewn back onto his body? That's gross.

Too bad Qyburn wasn't a Red Priest. Jaime could've gotten a crispy hand, like Victarion.

There is a very decent chance that RS will be unmasked at some point, most likely after killing his opponent in Cersei's trial. This would provide evidence that Cersei's champion is not a normal, legitimate choice for the trial and appears to be some kind of undead or magically animated corpse. The result would be that Cersei would be accused of resorting to dark sorcery/necromancy, and the "vindication" for the various charges would be erased. The HS would deem the Lannister cause irredeemably tainted and demand that the entire realm rise up against them. Cersei's best bet would be to keep UnGregor out of view as much as possible after the trial, should the combat go her way. There, will, however be many that will want to see who this Kingsguard member is. A Kingsguard knight that is constantly kept out of view and refuses to speak or show his face will draw enormous suspicion. If the unMountain is overcome in the trial, Cersei will be executed and Tommen/Myrcella will be deemed illegitimate as sovereigns.

It is not clear how hard it would be to put this thing out of commission. Presumably unGregor will be able to survive stabs that pentrate his visor which in itself would be seen as indicating something very abnormal. He does not seem to use energy like an animate being so the insane weight of that armor may not deplete his stamina and poison probably no longer affects human (though Oberyn probably still would have brought the Mountain to the ground even without poisoning the spear; the wounds, exhaustion, and bleeding did the trick).

Cersei asked for trial by combat. Who will be the accusing party judge?

We've seen a trial by combat earlier in the books, in AGOT.

The Lord of the Vale is the one judging Tyrion. He is a child and so Lysa names the Captain of Guards of the Eyrie to fight for Sweetrobin. Ser Vardys Egan.

If the trial at the Eyrie was how it is done in Westeros, Cersei is judged by King Tommen. He is a child and can't fight himself - and happens to be the son of the accused. If they do it as it happened in the Vale the Lord Commander of the Kings Guard should fight for King Tommen. But Ser Jaime besides being lost in the Riverlands has lost his swordshand and happens to be the brother of the accused.

Who's next to do justice? Ilyn Payne, being the Kings Justice?

Cersei asked for trial by combat. Who will be the accusing party judge?

We've seen a trial by combat earlier in the books, in AGOT.

The Lord of the Vale is the one judging Tyrion. He is a child and so Lysa names the Captain of Guards of the Eyrie to fight for Sweetrobin. Ser Vardys Egan.

If the trial at the Eyrie was how it is done in Westeros, Cersei is judged by King Tommen. He is a child and can't fight himself - and happens to be the son of the accused. If they do it as it happened in the Vale the Lord Commander of the Kings Guard should fight for King Tommen. But Ser Jaime besides being lost in the Riverlands has lost his swordshand and happens to be the brother of the accused.

Who's next to do justice? Ilyn Payne, being the Kings Justice?

I thought it is the Faith that judges her. Why else would be an option like trial by Seven (which Marg choose)? Why else would be them who inprisoned her for days? I think it will be a Faith Militia that will fight against UnGregor.

I agree the more I think about it, I don't want it to be Sandor at all, and I think his story is done.

Is Obara Sand even going to get there in time? Interesting though, Bronn would be sweet as well. If its Garlan Tyrell, he's as good as dead (Garlan).

Loras (could win) and Lancel (dead) are other popular guesses

The ultimate would be an attack by dragons during the trial

Garlan is stated as being a better swordsman than Loras.

Oberyn used poison, which an UnGregor may not be subject to, among other things. Whether or not he's Gregor, he doesn't eat, drink, or visit the privy (unless he's also a ninja), so he's obviously something more than human. I really doubt he'll be beaten in formal single combat.

Um, do ninja's have an especially sneaky way of using the privy?

I don't see Sandor fighting Gregor because Gregor is already dead. Robert Strong, the UnGregor, is less human, or himself, or whatever you want to call it, than UnCat. He may not even have a head, fer pete's sake. So what will be accomplished by having Sandor "kill" him again.

IMO, it will probably take magic to kill a headless, lifeless, pee-less being like Robert Strong. The Faith, which is not even aware that RS is an abomination raised by necromancy, and which, I believe, scorns magic, would not send anyone who could possibly win against RS.

The Faith's champion can't be Loras, because he's a member of the King's Guard, as is Robert Strong. How could one member of the brotherhood fight another member? I don't think the Faith's champion could be Garland because that would be an overt declaration of war by the Tyrells. The Tyrells will try to get rid of Cersei (if they're not up to their butts in Aegon and the Golden Company) but I expect them to be much more subtle. Cersei had better get her own food taster.

I think Lancel is a likely candidate for the Faith's champion, and that makes me sad. Poor Lancel, he's half-dead already and consumed by guilt. He's been used by Cersei to kill Robert and by Tywin to forge another alliance with the Freys (WTH was he thinking agreeing to all those marriages?), then gets stuck with Gatehouse Amy. The only person we've seen be decent to him has been Sansa, and she's far away.

I can see a Lancel/RS battle happening off-screen because it would be a slaughter.

Garlan is stated as being a better swordsman than Loras.

First that statement is obviously just based on character hearsay/opinion, its surely not fact; but I am not even saying I think Loras is a better swordsman - just that he has a much better chance than Garlan to survive the duel for the purposes of the story. deeper charcter, more passionate, may return with a magical aura about him, etc etc etc

Once again I also doubt very much he will stay loyal to the Lannisters (Crown) as a member of the KG with his family at war with them. If he is not the champion (and not dead) he definitely will not be on the side of the Lannisters anymore than Margaery

Once again I also doubt very much he will stay loyal to the Lannisters (Crown) as a member of the KG with his family at war with them. If he is not the champion (and not dead) he definitely will not be on the side of the Lannisters anymore than Margaery

There really is not any evidence as yet of this "war" between the Lannisters and the Tyrells, so I don't get what you keep referring to. Do they hate each other? Pretty much. But all their moves against each other have so far been made in secrecy, and for the time being, neither side can move against the other openly. The Lannisters need the Tyrells' military power to hold the throne. The Tyrells are dependent on the Lannisters' claim to the throne for their political position. With Stannis still at large and now a new invading force on the east coast, they are pretty much stuck as bedmates for the time being.

If one of the other contenders begins to look likely to win, then I could see the Tyrells unhitching their cart from the Lannisters and changing sides, or perhaps even making a grab for the throne themselves. But Cersei's trial is in a matter of days, and nothing material is going to change in their situation before then. And unless/until that happens, Loras cannot fight against a member of the royal family he is sworn to protect.

There really is not any evidence as yet of this "war" between the Lannisters and the Tyrells, so I don't get what you keep referring to. Do they hate each other? Pretty much. But all their moves against each other have so far been made in secrecy, and for the time being, neither side can move against the other openly. The Lannisters need the Tyrells' military power to hold the throne. The Tyrells are dependent on the Lannisters' claim to the throne for their political position. With Stannis still at large and now a new invading force on the east coast, they are pretty much stuck as bedmates for the time being.

If one of the other contenders begins to look likely to win, then I could see the Tyrells unhitching their cart from the Lannisters and changing sides, or perhaps even making a grab for the throne themselves. But Cersei's trial is in a matter of days, and nothing material is going to change in their situation before then. And unless/until that happens, Loras cannot fight against a member of the royal family he is sworn to protect.

I think Qyburn informs Cersei while she's a captive that Mace and Randyll Tarly are marching towards KL with armies? I think it is imminent

I think when aegon 6 starts winning the tyrells might switch to him...cant see them ever joining stannis,and never forget they were targ loyalists originally...but this should be discussed in another thread,if someone can start such a thread,i would be grateful,or give link to existing?

Anyway ungregor vs lancel would be pretty dissapointing when compared to the memorable red viper duel

I still think it should be obara,cause i really wanba see her finally avenge her dad.plus it would be an epic duel/chapter !!!

"You killed my father,prepare to die!!"

Loras, does not want Cersei found guilty. No one in power wants Cersei found guilty, because all their power rests on Tommen's legitimacy being upheld.

You make a lot of good points in your entire post (on page 2), but the only problem I have is with these two statements. It's been a while since I read ADWD, and I don't have it in front of me right now, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I remember Cersei telling the HS that her children were bastards of incest with Jaime, rather than being trueborn heirs of King Robert.

So, it is conceivable, that even if Cersei were found guilty of her crimes, that Tommen could remain in power. As long as he did not rebel against the church and the "High Sparrow" for vengenace for his mother's punishment, and he pledged faith to the church, and had support from other lords who did the same (Tarly, Tyrell, Lannister, etc...), he could potentially remain king.

So, I disagree that this alone removes Loras as a possible candidate for Margaery's champion. There have already been a number of threads discussing whether or not the Tyrell's are even sneakier and more clever than the Lannisters, and certainly the QoT (Olenna Redwyne) is no slouch in this department. I believe that Loras would very much want Cersei cast out of power, if Tommen and Marg could somehow maintain their position.

She did commit indiscretions (sleeping with Lancel and the KB's), which she confessed to the HS, but these were - supposedly - after Joff was King and she was only Queen Regent - which was basically known throughout the 7 Kingdoms as a temporary position, as her son/s were minors but still alive, and Marg was not a minor. Therefore, her actions could be made to be separate from the King and Queen. There have been instances in the real world when a ruler's power has survived the scandalous behavior/s of their relative/s.

It may be possible that Tommen's and Marg's rule could survive Cersei's trial and shame (if RS were to lose), and Loras could champion his sister. If Lancel fights RS, Lancel 99.99% dies. If Loras is indeed intact and not wounded from Dragonstone as many of us believe is possible, and if he fights RS, then Loras.....maybe.....maybe.....wins....??

I really think that Sandor will be the one to kill RS, not Obara. Not because that's been Sandor's entire life goal but simply, I think Obara will be dead by the end of TWOW. Doran sent her out to kill Balon Swann... good luck with that. Areo Hotah already gave me the impression that Obara thinks too highly of her fighting abilities and Balon seems to be the most well-rounded fighter in the series.

Maybe its due to my evil nature, but I find Robert Strong fascinating and hope whoever he faces at the trial he crushes them so badly that every lordling in the kingdom locks themselves inside their castles in terror, the White Walkers run like hell back to the frozen north and Sir Robert saves the kingdom without even meaning too. Then when someone gets the balls to approach him and proclaim him savior of Westeros, he removes his helmet to reveal the half rotted face of that woman from the inn in the riverlands that chewed that sour shit and had the nasty red teeth, and he says "come give grandma a kiss".

Archived