Davos - why is he so perfect?

ViennaGirl

I'm re-reading ASOS and am struck by Davos' almost perfect judgment, humility, intelligence. He's the total package - someone else said on another thread that he's like Ned, except with even better judgment. In the chapter where Davos tells Mel and Stannis that he sent Edric Storm away, he's standing in the painted table chamber in Dragonstone, thinking about stone dragons and Targaryans and whether Stannis is going to kill him, and it says

"When Davos left the window his shadow went before him, tall and thin, and fell across the Painted Table like a sword. And there he stood for a long time, waiting."

I don't think the AA prophecy will come true the way anyone thinks it will (although I've argued elsewhere that Jon is AA), but maybe Davos will end up a leader somehow. Is there any other character with such unerring judgment? He thinks about each decision, makes the moral choice, and prevails. I don't think he'll be the King of Westeros, but he wouldn't be a bad ruler.

Davos reminds me a lot of Duncan the Tall. Both are basically good people, come from Flea Bottom, and end up as unlikely companions/councilors to unlikely Kings. Neither are terribly politically savvy (perhaps Dunk even less than Davos) but they're not as blind as Ned is to the dangers around them. I believe Davos Seaworth is Azor Ahai reborn, personally.

I don't know but it's annoying. Super good people generally annoy me, Davos fits the criteria. Also his decisions are ALWAYS the right ones, did Mr. Martin steal all logic/luck (mostly luck) from Cersei and shovel it into Davos?

Davos' perfect awesomeness is balanced by the fact that he is incredibly boring. :D

If Stannis (and later Manderley) wasn't in Davos' chapters I think I would skip them on rereads... I do skip the chapters where it's just Davos already...

This. He's like Ned but with a head.

Davos' perfect awesomeness is balanced by the fact that he is incredibly boring. :D

If Stannis (and later Manderley) wasn't in Davos' chapters I think I would skip them on rereads... I do skip the chapters where it's just Davos already...

I disagree, most of his chapters are pretty interesting. A lot more than Dany's IMHO. ;)

I disagree, most of his chapters are pretty interesting. A lot more than Dany's IMHO. ;)

Eh. To each his own. I'd rather read about the mess Dany is making of EVERYTHING than read about Davos explaining about how he lost his bloody finger bones/luck again.

Because he's Davos fucking Seaworth :D and the man is that awesome, he can't help it. Now seriously, he has his flaws but I fell in love with him from the very beginning and was surprised when I saw so many people saying he is boring cause I could read his chapters forever :dunno: It might have been me who compared him to Ned, cause I really feel they are both genuinelly good and honorable people, only Davos is a little more badass and not so "naive" . That being said, I'm dying to see a meeting between Davos and Jon (my 2 favorite characters interacting, the world may implode if that ever happens) and I'm hoping for Davos to play a big part in the Starks come back by finding Rickon in the first place.

There's a few characters that are just very idealistic. Davos isn't the only one, but he's probably the most successful considering how far he's risen in Stannis's ranks in spite of being both lowborn and a Seven worshiper (if not a terribly devout one). Samwell is another good example, but he's also a fat self-proclaimed coward, so he isn't really seen in the same light.

So what's going to happen with Davos in the end? Who knows. We know GRRM has said that good people don't always make good kings, so I doubt we'll ever see anything as extreme an Onion King, but I could nonetheless see him playing an important role. If his current mission works out, he could swing the tide of battle in the North heavily in favor of Stannis. But it's also possible it will be too little, too late, especially if the Others come knocking.

I found Davos' chapters to be better on re-reads than the first time around actually. And his POV in ADwD was my second favourite after Theon's.

It's nice to finally have a good character that hasn't lost yet for being too "good" (ahem Ned, Robb I'm looking at you).

Because he's Davos fucking Seaworth :D and the man is that awesome, he can't help it. Now seriously, he has his flaws but I fell in love with him from the very beginning and was surprised when I saw so many people saying he is boring cause I could read his chapters forever :dunno: It might have been me who compared him to Ned, cause I really feel they are both genuinelly good and honorable people, only Davos is a little more badass and not so "naive" . That being said, I'm dying to see a meeting between Davos and Jon (my 2 favorite characters interacting, the world may implode if that ever happens) and I'm hoping for Davos to play a big part in the Starks come back by finding Rickon in the first place.

I'm definitely one of the biggest Jon fan-girls on planet earth, and yeah, my head would explode if Jon and Davos met. I think Jon is more goody-goody than Davos - I don't know what it is - maybe it's because he's younger? I love Davos' perspective on things. I can't even think of any flaws, unless too much loyalty to his king is a flaw. But I don't think that's even a flaw in a feudal society like this. Actually, I'm a much bigger Jon fan than Davos fan, and now I can't figure out why. Because Jon seems to have some kind of destiny, and Davos doesn't?

:agree: Actually, for me, it is refreshing to see a genuinely decent character a.) not only live to see another day in Westeros but also b.) not be a total idiot blinded by the fact that because they are honorable and good, they assume other people will be do the same as well. He works with what he's got plus the man has got some major COJONES to stand up to his freakin KING, who happens to be Stannis "BAMF" Baratheon and call bullshit and tell him how it is. The fact that Stannis looks to him for honesty and counsel says a lot about Davos.

Westeros is full of people who tread the "immoral", "bad", or "evil" line, btw, don't get me wrong because some of these people are favorite characters of mine (Theon, Sandor, etc...) so a man like Davos is so rare in a story like this because we have seen what happens to most of them (Ned, Robb, etc..) What makes Davos so cool, is that he adapts and makes careful judgements. All HAIL DAVOS!! ONION KNIGHT! :bowdown:

Archived