First Extended Trailer for Season 2

Westeros

and i know that the reeds are more important than ser dontos, but does anyone know if his character will appear this season??

Yes, Ser Dontos has been cast. Its a character like that which reminds me that, while there are uncast characters that people will miss, we still have a huge cast and the showrunners had to make some difficult choices. Dontos isn't an important character but Sansa's story can't work without him. Bran's story can still work in S2 without the Reeds but people are still hopeful that they will appear in S3 (or at least 1 of them) because Bran's story does depend on the Reeds in aSoS.

There has been several hints that we will see most if not all of Theon's chapters in S2. The last thing shot in S2 was with Bran, Rickon, Osha and Hodor. They also shot a major scene with a kennelmaster and dogs. They might delay the very last chapter but it is a very powerful end to a season, so i'm thinking it will be shown, although i'm not sure.

In fact one starts to wonder if Rickon Stark is really alive anymore?

Given events in aDwD, I expect he will be alive.

I did not say they need to show the battle, and of course it's not essential to the story.... but it is important for Robb's image.

We are definitely going to see Robb win battles (maybe not Riverrun but other battles). They might not show the battles themselves but we'll see the aftermath or such like. So I think Robb fans should be happy with S2. :)

Saying Sansa's story can't work without Dontos is akin to saying Theon's story can't work without Ramsay...

Theon's story can't work without Ramsay down the road. It could work without Ramsay in the present. I wouldn't say that Sansa's story can't work without Dontos, but he does make it a bit more interesting.

Theon's story can't work without Ramsay down the road. It could work without Ramsay in the present. I wouldn't say that Sansa's story can't work without Dontos, but he does make it a bit more interesting.

I agree with you on Ramsay. Without Dontos though, Sansa's story is significantly changed (what does she do if she doesn't try to escape?), so in that way she needs him.

I agree with you on Ramsay. Without Dontos though, Sansa's story is significantly changed (what does she do if she doesn't try to escape?), so in that way she needs him.

She could try to escape, anyway. She could get a mystery note telling her to wait and be prepared to escape and maybe then get some subsequent notes with the final one telling her when and where to go on the night of her actual escape. LF could then explain to her it was an agent of his that left the notes, since he explains everything else anyway during their trip. I'm glad they've kept Ser Dontos in the story, but I think he could be gotten around.

She could get a mystery note telling her to wait and be prepared to escape and maybe then get some subsequent notes with the final one telling her when and where to go on the night of her actual escape. LF could then explain to her it was an agent of his that left the notes, since he explains everything else anyway during their trip.

That doesn't strike you as a little dumb? Why would Sansa have any faith in a few notes? (Never mind the hairnet element). And not great TV with all these notes scattered around, without any actual conversation.

That doesn't strike you as a little dumb? Why would Sansa have any faith in a few notes? (Never mind the hairnet element). And not great TV with all these notes scattered around, without any actual conversation.

I dunno, Sansa puts a lot of hope in the mystery note she originally gets from Dontos, and frankly she'd be willing to put her hopes in a lot of ridiculous places at that point (Dontos himself is more than a little ridiculous). I think there could certainly be a bit of suspense with Sansa getting these notes and not knowing who they came from, though interacting with another character works better for TV I think. And yeah, I didn't initially think of the hairnet, but I always thought that was kind of a weird plot element, anyway. Anyways, I was just saying that Dontos wasn't that necessary.

I suppose it is debateable. I just find having a person to interact with (even a ridiculous person) a lot more sensible than otherwise. Its not that I think Dontos is important overall, just to Sansa's story. I would agree that the hairnet is not necessary though.

Anyhow, glad to have him.

the hairnet isn't important in the second season (if they decide to show it it will be in the last episode) but it will be imp for the purple wedding and since sansa has kept it while in the eyrie, i'm sure she will use it on someone one day...

and i finally found who is playing dontos. his name is tony way and here is his photo. much younger than in the book...

http://winteriscomin...-casting-leaks/

and even if dontos didn't appear, they might have used the mystery notes or something, but without having the viewers link the notes to someone this early on the story, it wouldn't work. makes me wonder how will they have her show the audience she is thinking of the hound after book 2. she never mentions him outloud, so..?

I think Dontos is important for Sansa's character with all that Jonquil and Florian stuff. It's a pretty important aspect of Sansa's character and it's pretty much how she starts to stop believing in songs and fairytales.

As for her taking interest in the Hound, visually it could be done by her looking at him from behind a pillar or stuff like that. This is generally how they convey interest on TV > with a character looking intensely at another one while he/she is unaware of being watched.

She could try to escape, anyway. She could get a mystery note telling her to wait and be prepared to escape and maybe then get some subsequent notes with the final one telling her when and where to go on the night of her actual escape. LF could then explain to her it was an agent of his that left the notes, since he explains everything else anyway during their trip. I'm glad they've kept Ser Dontos in the story, but I think he could be gotten around.

I don't find it very credible that Sansa would try anything that bold without an actual person that she meets and has some belief (even though he is a fool) is in a position to help her.

I think Dontos is important for Sansa's character with all that Jonquil and Florian stuff. It's a pretty important aspect of Sansa's character and it's pretty much how she starts to stop believing in songs and fairytales.

I'm not sure I get that: Dontos does rescue her, so he doesn't contradict the songs that much. Not as much as watching her father getting beheaded, and then her getting beaten by the Kingsguard knights, and being protected, to a degree, by the monstrous Hound.

I don't find it very credible that Sansa would try anything that bold without an actual person that she meets and has some belief (even though he is a fool) is in a position to help her.

It's a difference of opinion, but I can see Sansa making a run for the docks to escape her nightmare existence. It's not much difference than what actually happens, since she knows that Dontos is no hero, and she's afraid pretty much up until the point she reaches the boat that the whole thing will fail. With just receiving notes, her imagination can run away with her, which basically happens when she receives the first note, from what I remember. When it turns out to be Dontos who meets her at the godswood, she's pretty crushed and initially comes to the conclusion that her dream of escape was folly (that's the way I remember it; I'd have to check to be sure). And it's not like Sansa never does anything bold up to that point: she tells Joffrey that maybe Robb will give her his head, she tells Meryn Trant that he is no true knight, she speaks up for Dontos when Joffrey is going to have him put to death, she goes to meet Dontos in the godswood even though she fears that the note is a trick and she doesn't kneel for Tyrion at their wedding even though from her experiences since her father died such actions may very well lead to her being beaten and raped.

Does anyone else wish they would use the end of the song Opt1m1sm for the final Season 2 trailer? Haha, it's the one they used in Boardwalk Empire's Season 2 trailer and I nearly pooped myself it was so awesome. I think it'd go really really well with a Game of Thrones season 2 trailer.

I'm not sure I get that: Dontos does rescue her, so he doesn't contradict the songs that much. Not as much as watching her father getting beheaded, and then her getting beaten by the Kingsguard knights, and being protected, to a degree, by the monstrous Hound.

In case there are people here who haven't read all the books

For one, he doesn't look anything like the charming Florian and it makes her realize that even though Joffrey is hot and all, he is a monster, yet this Dontos (or the Hound) is kind at heart. First step in understanding that songs are just that, songs. And yes he "rescues" her, but it also turns out he sold her out to a child-loving sociopath.

He is also pretty important to set up the Purple Wedding

In case there are people here who haven't read all the books

For one, he doesn't look anything like the charming Florian and it makes her realize that even though Joffrey is hot and all, he is a monster, yet this Dontos (or the Hound) is kind at heart. First step in understanding that songs are just that, songs. And yes he "rescues" her, but it also turns out he sold her out to a child-loving sociopath.

He is also pretty important to set up the Purple Wedding

I'm not saying there aren't some things about Ser Dontos that might add to Sansa's worldliness, or world weariness, but I don't think he has much to do with her disillusionment. She's already starting to become pretty cynical by the time she starts meeting him, and even if he isn't everything a hero could be, he still helps her in ways that mean a lot. I mean, I do agree that she puts trust in him and has an emotional attachment and thinks of him as her Florian and that is all changed by what LF tells her about him, but by that time she's been through many things and Dontos is just too minor in comparison, and it also didn't turn to ashes in her mouth like other, much more meaningful, things did. And, as far as Joffrey, I don't even know what you're talking about: Dontos doesn't have anything to do with Sansa figuring out he is a monster. And the hairnet (I assume that's what you're referring to) isn't important at all for the plot. I never could figure out why GRRM put that in there (cause it really doesn't make sense), but I guess it's just for the narrative to bring that plot more into light for the readers, and to add some more labyrinthine games.

I actually had a look at the appropriate Sansa chapter in aSoS.

After LF kills Dontos, Sansa is appalled. <Sansa felt sick. "He said he was my Florian".

"Do you perchance recall what I said to you that day your father sat the Iron Throne?"

The moment came back to her vividly. "You told me that life was not a song. That I would learn that one day, to my sorrow". She felt tears in her eyes, but whether she wept for Ser Dontos, for Joff, for Tyrion or for herself, Sansa could not say. "It is all lies, forever and ever, everyone and everything?">

So I don't think his story is meaningless to her growing up. But I don't think it is vital. The important part to me is Abaddon's point about how credible it is that she would place credence in a note on its own. A note that would bring her to the godswood is one thing (she could always pretend she was there for a good reason). A note that would make her flee KL? That is really pushing things IMO. The Florian aspect is just a nice extra that Dontos brings.

Archived