February 2012 - Leap Year Reads?

jdiddyesquire

Currently reading The Sunne in Splendour. Loving it so far.

I loved it too! Maybe it's time for a reread. If you like ASOIF then I bet you'll recognize a number of elements and characters that served as inspiration for GRRM - especially Penman's Elizabeth Woodville for Martin's Cersei, though Cersei is far worse.

To the reader of Emma Donoghue: If you like her work, and historical novels in general, I'll recommend her novel Slammerkin - about a young working-class girl who turns to prostitution in 18th century London. It offers an interesting perspective on its protagonist and I found its descriptions of 18th century London wonderfully vivid.

i take it that you enjoyed Use of Weapons then :cheers:

the only other that i've read is consider phlebas. i really enjoyed it but it seems to get mixed reviews on the board. i've heard much more positive things about Player of Games. that is the one i will probably read next.

Heh, I haven't even finished it yet, but its FUCKING AWESOME so far. Exactly the kind of scifi I like.

Finished "Price of Spring" by Abraham. I´ll be honest. When I first read "A shadow in summer" I saw Abraham along the types of Ruckley or Redik. Yeah he´s got talent, but it would probably take years before he wrote anything really worth reading.

I was wrong.

Sometimes things just don´t work out the way like we imagined them in the first place. People get old and relationsships develop and change. Life is difficult and beautiful. Abraham writes about those simple truths. All in all his series is among the best I´ve read in the genre.

I loved it too! Maybe it's time for a reread. If you like ASOIF then I bet you'll recognize a number of elements and characters that served as inspiration for GRRM - especially Penman's Elizabeth Woodville for Martin's Cersei, though Cersei is far worse.

To the reader of Emma Donoghue: If you like her work, and historical novels in general, I'll recommend her novel Slammerkin - about a young working-class girl who turns to prostitution in 18th century London. It offers an interesting perspective on its protagonist and I found its descriptions of 18th century London wonderfully vivid.

Have not read this one, but is there really more to Cersei than a fleshed out Lady Macbeth? ;)

Cat Power-A Good Woman. Biography by Elizabeth Goodman which is not really helped by the contrary singers descision not to be interviewed and to also attempt to persuade many of her friends to do likewise. The result is a rather sketchy and subjective book. But the fact that Goodman is a decent enough writer and Chan Marshall is such a fascinating and rather sad individuall means its still a diverting enough read.

Reading Horus Rising by Dan Abnett and When We Were Executioners by J M McDermott.

Horus Rising is good fun in the 40k universe. To be expected from Abnett.

When We Were Executioners is fantastic so far. McDermott is one of my favorites right now. Have only read 2 others by him ( Never Knew Another and Last Dragon ) but they were both great and beautifully written.

Finally read Heroes Die. Very enjoyable, even if predictable-- there was no single plot turn that surprised me. That said, and who cares really, lots of stories are predictable, I definitely took a liking to Stover's characterization. Spose Blade of Tyshalle is up next.

New book order just arrived. Squee!

$100 got me Planesrunner (HC), Ready Player One (HC), The Heroes (HC), the Quantum Thief (HC), The Dragon's Path (TP), Leviathan Wakes (TP), and The Player of Games (TP).

Methinks I'll start with Leviathan Wakes. :D

I'm almost done with book 2 of The Long Price. I'm liking it but not loving it. I'm still pretty curious given how popular it is round these parts.

I'm about halfway done with A Betrayal in Winter and I'm really digging it, and the series. I started A Shadow in Summer a few years ago and got about 80 pages in and then put it down, but I started it again a few weeks ago and I tore through it.

I did not like Roil. And that is enough about that.

I thought Steele, by Carrie Vaughn, was a pretty good YA book. Didn't love it, but enjoyed it through out.

Now I am reading the first Ravenor book, almost done and good so far. I am first on the list for Throne of the Cressent Moon when the library copy arrives, at which point I will see if it is worth the build up and wait.

Finished The Quantum Thief and really liked it, although I was a bit confused by the ending...

Could somebody help me out here? ;)

I got a bit lost towards the end...why didn't Raymonde turn into an Atlas Quiet when the gun was fired? Also, am I right about the following: the King /Le Roi was another version of Jean/Paul himself? He hid bits of himself in nine places and nine watches of nine people, and then left the Oubliette. Isidore is the son of Raymonde and alternate Paul/Jean, but was raised by another man, who is now a Quiet. Also, he himself corrupted the exomemory of the Oubliette with the aid of the zoku, implanting the idea of the Kingdom and the Revolution in people. And took control over the Voice. Or something like that...

Now reading Grunts by Mary Gentle, which has hilarious orc-marines but not so hilarious psychopathic halflings.

Finished The Quantum Thief and really liked it, although I was a bit confused by the ending...Could somebody help me out here? ;)

Will try.

I got a bit lost towards the end...why didn't Raymonde turn into an Atlas Quiet when the gun was fired?

IIRC, Jean/Paul didn't entangle her consciousness with one of the bullets, she was just a keeper of the gun.

Also, am I right about the following: the King /Le Roi was another version of Jean/Paul himself?

It wasn't clear to me, to be honest. He sure used Jean/Paul's DNA to create Isidore and liked to change his appearance to resemble Le Flambeur's, though. But both of these things fit into his game, so I am not sure if there was any deeper connection. Jean himself seemed to consider Le Roi as distinct from himself, even after he regained his memories.

He hid bits of himself in nine places and nine watches of nine people, and then left the Oubliette.

Yes.

Isidore is the son of Raymonde and alternate Paul/Jean, but was raised by another man, who is now a Quiet.

He is genetically a son of Jean/Paul and Raymonde, created by Le Roi who may or may not have been yet another version of Jean/Paul. Or something along those lines ;).

Also, he himself corrupted the exomemory of the Oubliette with the aid of the zoku, implanting the idea of the Kingdom and the Revolution in people.

I thought the zoku did it by themselves, working with/for Le Roi? And Le Roi took control of the Voice

Not very helpful, I know.

I just finished Abercrombie's The Blade Itself. Loved it as was to be expected and I also finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman which I found a really well written and inspired book.

Now it's on to some heavy reading with The Silmarillion and after that it'll probably be Tigana.

I just finished Abercrombie's The Blade Itself. Loved it as was to be expected and I also finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman which I found a really well written and inspired book.

Now it's on to some heavy reading with The Silmarillion and after that it'll probably be Tigana.

Are you going through every "what to read in fantasy" list you have found on the internet by chance?

Archived