Worldcon Human Chess Match

Greetings my fellow Brothers and Sisters of the BwB!

Since Lodey recently posted the Volunteer thread for Worldcon and since we have less than 6 months before the con, I thought it would be a good idea to inform all of you about our plans for the Human Chess Match and explain a bit of the process. First though, I would like to answer the biggest question I have received from several boarders about the match itself.

Why a Human Chess Match?

Many have asked why we decided to organize a human chess match for this years Worldcon. Besides GRRM being an avid chess player that directed chess tournaments, the most basic explanation is its something he has wanted to do for quite some time. He has attended several different matches over the last few years and has expressed great interest in playing and controlling one himself. Additionally, this years Worldcon will have over 100 BwB members in attendence. The biggest BwB gathering ever will be on hand to help coordinate, participate, celebrate, and enjoy one of their favorite authors past times.

Now, about the Chess Match itself. The match is tentatively scheduled for Friday. Below is all the information I could think of. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to reply to this post or send a PM.

The Theme of the Chess Match and the "Pieces"

The theme of the chess match will go along with that of the theme for Worldcon and the party Saturday night. Highgarden will be "waging war" with its most hated enemy and neighbor, Dorne. The match is set in the world of Westeros as we currently know it.

The pieces selected are as follows:

Highgarden

King - Mace Tyrell -

Queen - Olenna Tyrell, the "Queen of Thorns" - Odie

Bishops - Garth the Gross and Maester Goremon

Knights - Loras Tyrell and Randyl Tarly - Ser Paddy

Castles - open for discussion. castles or people? perhaps "Right" and "Left" -Osraven, Ser Sean

Pawns �€“ Squires (with short swords) or Men at Arms (with maces). - Padraig,

Dorne

King - Doran Martell (in a wheelchair) - Stego

Queen - Arianne Martell - Drawing between Chaldanya

Bishops �€“ Maester Caelotte and Seneschal Ricasso

Knights �€“ Areo Hotah and Gerald Dayne - Lothor Apple-Eater,

Castles �€“ open for discussion. castles or people?

Pawns - Sand Snakes with spears - Lany Cassandra, Rhelley, LadyIsabel28, Mich, Mak, Coyote's Daughter, Balefont, Skylark

How many people will be selected?

We will choose thirty-two chess piece participants who will be active on the chessboard. Each participant will need to prepare an ellaborate special attack. We will also need two MC's/voice-overs, two photographers, and one videographer.

How are applicants selected?

First, we are asking for people who are 100% or �€œProbable�€� in attending to sign up for a position you would like, and more importantly, will be able to follow through and do. To keep things as fair and unbiased as possible, Ran will be hosting a drawing process that puts the names of those interested in a particular part into a batch. The computer then randomly selects the people using a "shuffle" type function. Those chosen will then be notified via email by Ran and the final list will be posted on the boards. Those interested in submitting an entry need to reply to this thread with the position they would like to play. You can apply for any position listed as long as you fall within that gender. You can apply for more than one position. Applicants will be required to make a costume that matches what the character from the books would wear. Don't let this hinder you from applying. If you need help in this area, please PM or email me.

How does the role-play work on stage?

On stage, you will follow the directions of the chess players (GRRM and friend) and voice-overs. There will be no role-playing involving dialogue, because it is impossible to provide microphones to everyone on the stage. Only physical movement will be visible and there will be no scripted or unscripted banter possible between the participants. Please keep this in mind when submitting applications. You will be able to interact with other characters in pantomime only. If you are selected, the chess coordinators will brief you thoroughly by e-mail before the match and help you plan.

Time

Human Chess matches usually run in conventions with a window of one and a half to two hours. Since the length of the game itself is compounded by the performances of the live actors, managing time constraints can be extremely difficult. In order to make sure the event runs within the time limit, we will be using a tournament clock and a variation on 'sudden death' timing rules in which each player has thirty minutes on his or her clock. Each player should punch out on the clock after the human player has finished physically performing the move. In other words, the play progression runs as follows: 1) Make the move on the board, 2) Announce the move, 3) Wait for the player to complete the move, and 4) Punch the clock. This system makes it advantageous for the player to pick a move as quickly as possible.

Objective

The primary goal of Human Chess is to entertain the audience and for all to have fun. It's important to remember that the game isn't a tournament competition, but an opportunity to watch everyone's favorite characters slaughter each other on stage. In order to satisfy a crowd of bloodthirsty congoers, all people involved will need to work together to make the match as exciting as possible. Knowing who the characters are is more important than knowing the finer points of chess strategy.

I would like to thank all of you in advance for helping make GRRM's dream come true. Let's make this event something he will never forget!

*UPDATE*

Highgarden

King - Mace Tyrell - open

Queen - Olenna Tyrell, the "Queen of Thorns" - Odie

Bishop - Garth the Gross - Kalbear

Bishop - Maester Goremon - Mormont

Knight - Loras Tyrell - Prod

Knight - Randyl Tarly - Ser Paddy

Castle - Left - Osraven

Castle - Right - Ser Sean

Pawns - Squires (with short swords) or Men at Arms (with maces). - Padraig, 7 spots open

Dorne

King - Doran Martell (in a wheelchair) - Stego

Queen - Arianne Martell - Chataya

Bishop - Maester Caelotte - open

Bishop - Seneschal Ricasso - open

Knight - Areo Hotah - Lothor Apple-Eater

Knight - Gerald Dayne - Aoife

Castles - open

Pawns - Sand Snakes - Lany Cassandra, Rhelley, Mich, Mak, Coyote's Daughter, Balefont, Skylark, Melisandres Twisted Sister

BH

How very cool! Can I be a sand snake pawn? I have garb and a recurve bow. Hell, I'd be any role on the Dorne side. (also have a really cool curved sword, but don't think I'd make it through the airport with that).

**in the serious voice**

Please put my name on the list. I am 100%. I would like a role on Dorne's side, if possible. Sand Snake preferable, but would accept any role.

Whereabouts is this planned and what day? Have you been to the Hilton in Anaheim before? If so, do you think Saturday afternoon on the big common area outside of all the party suites would be good? Might make an excellent kickoff to the Saturday night fiesta. note: it'll be light until eight-ish that time of year, so maybe start @ 5:30 or something?

Whereabouts is this planned and what day? Have you been to the Hilton in Anaheim before? If so, do you think Saturday afternoon on the big common area outside of all the party suites would be good? Might make an excellent kickoff to the Saturday night fiesta. note: it'll be light until eight-ish that time of year, so maybe start @ 5:30 or something?

It is tentatively planned for Friday. I am not certain where it is going to be held. I am coordinating with the Worldcon staff to find out. Although I agree Saturday is a good time, we have to make this work with GRRMs and Worldcons schedule. Apparently, GRRM is booked most of the day on Saturday.

ok, so I was browsing the renstore.com and came across this really cool jacket pattern. I thought it woild be lovely for sand snakes. I will most likely make myself something like this: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Ruth...snakejacket.jpg (sand snake or not---I can always find a place to wear it)

they do have all kinds of cool stuff (I have spent way too much money there in the past)

ok, so I was browsing the renstore.com and came across this really cool jacket pattern. I thought it woild be lovely for sand snakes. I will most likely make myself something like this: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Ruth...snakejacket.jpg (sand snake or not---I can always find a place to wear it)

they do have all kinds of cool stuff (I have spent way too much money there in the past)

That looks perfect for a Sand Snake LC!

Guest OsRavan

ill voulenteer. Might be fitting for me to be right if you go with human castles.

Otheriwse i woudl voulenteer as Doran martell? OR if not Dayne

How very cool , I`m in . Do we have to have spears as sandsnakes ? I got a bow , a staff amd a sword but I don`t know that they`ll let me bring my 12 foot spear on the plane ? I`m happy to improvise and have a few moves but maybe it would be fun to get together and run through some potential fights . I realise that it will be random as to who`s fighting who and all that chess stuff , but it`d be great to put on a bit of a show .

Just a thought , the convention police can get sniffy about weaponry , right ? So we`d better cover ourselves on that and make sure they know . On the roof sounds cool . I also have access to a few ren frocks and costumes so could bring extra with me for others if I know roughly what`s needed in advance .

Maybe it would be cooler to be Arianne , then I would potentially get to do more fighting ? I`m hoping this wont clash with the tattoo mission .

... and if Odie can be the Queen of Thorns I can be Dayne . But is there anyone gay enough to be Loras ?...

... and if Odie can be the Queen of Thorns I can be Dayne . But is there anyone gay enough to be Loras ?...

:lol: I just threw that out there... figured that the QoT could be fat as well as old, espically given that some of the Tyrells are more girthy ;) Plus I was kinda tipsy at the time. Plus, the QoT rocks :D

ill voulenteer. Might be fitting for me to be right if you go with human castles.

Otheriwse i woudl voulenteer as Doran martell? OR if not Dayne

Awesome! Get in touch with Reny. Maybe he will be "left"? Or maybe Ser Sean?

How very cool , I`m in . Do we have to have spears as sandsnakes ? I got a bow , a staff amd a sword but I don`t know that they`ll let me bring my 12 foot spear on the plane ? I`m happy to improvise and have a few moves but maybe it would be fun to get together and run through some potential fights . I realise that it will be random as to who`s fighting who and all that chess stuff , but it`d be great to put on a bit of a show .

Just a thought , the convention police can get sniffy about weaponry , right ? So we`d better cover ourselves on that and make sure they know . On the roof sounds cool . I also have access to a few ren frocks and costumes so could bring extra with me for others if I know roughly what`s needed in advance .

Maybe it would be cooler to be Arianne , then I would potentially get to do more fighting ? I`m hoping this wont clash with the tattoo mission .

I have the spears for the Sand Snakes already. Please check this link with regards to the rules for weapons.

I just might have to play Loras myself... :/

:lol: I just threw that out there... figured that the QoT could be fat as well as old, espically given that some of the Tyrells are more girthy ;) Plus I was kinda tipsy at the time. Plus, the QoT rocks :D

The QoT rocks! It is known. ;)

BH

The QoT rocks! It is known. ;)

Now, I'm not saying Os and Reny, since this'll degenerate into ugliness again if I do. But we may want to play the QoT as a three person character. The QoT isn't exactly going to fight her OWN battles, she would send in Left and Right. And we all know that the queen is the strongest piece on a chess board.

Count me in if you get stuck for people. I'm 100% going and there doesn't seem to be a lot of volunteers :unsure:

No clue who I'd be, what I'd wear etc. etc. etc. Would definitely need some help with ideas for all that stuff. I'm assuming I'd be on the Dorne side (dark hair, dark eyes) olive-ish complexion I've been told... (I don't think so) Doesn't matter either way *shrugs*

Count me in if you get stuck for people. I'm 100% going and there doesn't seem to be a lot of volunteers :unsure:

No clue who I'd be, what I'd wear etc. etc. etc. Would definitely need some help with ideas for all that stuff. I'm assuming I'd be on the Dorne side (dark hair, dark eyes) olive-ish complexion I've been told... (I don't think so) Doesn't matter either way *shrugs*

Thank you Mich!

Hopefully people will start volunteering soon.

BH

• 3 weeks later...

Archived