Lesbian Sex Encounters in Books...and Renly/Loras

teemo

Every time I read a post about TV Renly, I weep for the human race. Loras is not weak; Renly is. Loras is fairly effeminate, but Renly's far from it, even in the show. In the books I found him to be much more stereotypically gay. I like that they showed a more humble, self-conscious side to him in the show. It made him more real and less of a caricature.

TV Loras is O.K., I think.

I´m not saying that TV Renly is obviously weak or overly effeminate, but he is average, and Renly is supposed to look and speak strong, confident and attractive; it´s a completely different character.

The Renly in the TV show may be quite more sympathetic than the one in the books, but the thing I don´t like is that he is completely different; the Renly in the books may be somewhat vain, selfish and cynical, but he was the original one, and I can´t understand why they changed him so much; it´s as they were trying to portray some stereotyped "gay brother vs jock brother" dynamic between Renly and Robert,

All of Euron's crewmen are mute from having their tongues ripped out, so I am certain he wasn't from his ship.

I was referring to the Ironborn Euron left Pike with. He left on a ship full of Ironborn, and returned with a ship full of non-Ironborn.... it was a lame jape at the Ironborn's willingness to substitute a man for a woman.

The Renly in the TV show may be quite more sympathetic than the one in the books, but the thing I don´t like is that he is completely different; the Renly in the books may be somewhat vain, selfish and cynical, but he was the original one, and I can´t understand why they changed him so much; it´s as they were trying to portray some stereotyped "gay brother vs jock brother" dynamic between Renly and Robert,

Did they change him? We simply saw him in more scenes. If you compare the book scenes that are in the show (council meetings, the tourney) with added scenes (with Loras, and hunting with Robert) you'll see that there is a huge difference in his behaviour. There just wasn't enough time to show the full extent of his character.

Hahaha me too. Completely takes me out of the story.

When it comes to sex scenes in literature, call me a prude, but I'm one of those who likes the "they started kissing and then.. *fade to black*" type of sex scenes.

Same here. I have no problem with sex (I even read erotica on occasion :blushing:), but generally sex scenes just don't work in serious novels like ASoIaF. I'm not reading these books to get off, and the sex scenes usually just take me out of the story. On top of that, most of them are very poorly written.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind sex scenes that actually contribute something to the plot, or provide insight on the characters. The way Dany lost her virginity was an essential part of her character arc, and without Bran witnessing Jaime and Cersei's incest the whole story would be drastically different. The sex scenes that are meant to be disturbing completely succeed at their purpose. Even the infamous Jon/Ygritte scene in the cave was very tastefully done, and said a lot about the types of people they were. My problem is with the sex scenes that have no apparent purpose and seem to be thrown in purely for fanservice, like Cersei and Dany's nonsensical lesbian scenes.

Yes, I dislike the portrayal of Renly in the TV series, too...Renly is always described as a looking just as king Robert when the latter was still young and athletic, and Robert was supposed to be some sort of super-manly Hercules.

Yes, and even in the book, (paraphrasing here), Renly is contemptiously scoffing at Joff and asking him how it came to be that a girl, no bigger than a drowned rat could disarm him.

And then he goes laughing out the door.

Yes, and even in the book, (paraphrasing here), Renly is contemptiously scoffing at Joff and asking him how it came to be that a girl, no bigger than a drowned rat could disarm him.

And then he goes laughing out the door.

And then laughs some more about "Lion's Tooth".

Although I did like the hunting scene in the series when he calls Robert out on "The Good Ol' Days"

I but I almost think no because they don't really have any significance and might seem really, really gratuitous and confusing (HBO loves it, hence why they added Loras/Renly in the series, but adding in random lesbian sex scenes from out of nowhere might look cheap, and HBO is anything but cheap [*usually*])

HBO DID add several sex scenes that weren't in the books:)

My impression of what happened between Cersei and Tanea is that Cersei was drunk and sating her curiosity. It seemed to be implied that they continued to have some sort of physical relationship after this and Cersei went along with it because it helped bind Tanea to her not because she liked it.

I think with Dany, Irri pleasured her because she felt it was her duty and an honor. She offered to do it again and Dany was like no thanks. Dany said the sex was good but it lacked any passion.

I'm not sure if Dany or Cersei is a lesbian, Cersei might be but not Dany. We really haven't heard how this sort of thing is perceived in the culture of the book. It might be acceptable for a woman like Dany or Cersei to fool around with their servants and bedwarmers if their discreet, its certianly better then them sleeping with men.

The interesting thing about the Renly/Loras relationship is that it is the only one that we see in the books. Ser Lyn Corbary is portrayed as liking young boys. Satin is a boy whore who is initially despised because of it by his peers and faces prejudice from some of the leaders of the nights watch because of this. Jon seems to drop hints that a signifigant percentage of the nights watch is gay, I cant't remember the exact quote but he think that about 80% percent of the men would break their vows with a woman implying that 20% wouldn't, which makes you ask why.I also think that a lot of the drowned men are gay, the clergy are all men, they are brought back to life by being kissed by a man, they are then given a punch and a kiss by the other members who are present. Grown men hanging out together half naked on a beach does sound gay, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Yay Ros! :huh:

I am still a little up in the air about Ros. At first I thought she was a really useless addition (with enough book characters that we don't get enough of, I'm not really into seeing an entirely new character out of nowhere), but then I thought some of her interactions with Theon was to help show a little of his personality and bring him into light for season 2, where he becomes a much more important character. Since GRRM really didn't have much for him in GoT, what better way to show that Theon is a dick by his weird actions and attitudes toward Ros? I thought their relationship showed a quick glimpse of his true personality.

I am still a little up in the air about Ros. At first I thought she was a really useless addition (with enough book characters that we don't get enough of, I'm not really into seeing an entirely new character out of nowhere), but then I thought some of her interactions with Theon was to help show a little of his personality and bring him into light for season 2, where he becomes a much more important character. Since GRRM really didn't have much for him in GoT, what better way to show that Theon is a dick by his weird actions and attitudes toward Ros? I thought their relationship showed a quick glimpse of his true personality.

Of course Theon's development could be very important depending on they portray certain aspects of his character, but the question is, why bother continuing Ros once she's away from Theon? I would have been fine if she ended up being Kyra+a few more scenes, but now she's in KL with LF and Pycelle? what <_<

Evidently, Book 2 is lacking in sex scenes in HBO's eyes. (Even though it already looks like they've added Stannis+Mel and Robb+Jeyne scenes :bang: )

Jon seems to drop hints that a signifigant percentage of the nights watch is gay, I cant't remember the exact quote but he think that about 80% percent of the men would break their vows with a woman implying that 20% wouldn't, which makes you ask why.I also think that a lot of the drowned men are gay, the clergy are all men, they are brought back to life by being kissed by a man, they are then given a punch and a kiss by the other members who are present. Grown men hanging out together half naked on a beach does sound gay, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Re: the Night's Watch- maybe he just meant that lots would break their vows, but the rest would keep them?

Re: "brought back to life by being kissed" - I thought this was a euphemism for mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, since were in the pseudo-middle ages and thus no life guards. I must have no gaydar at all. ;)

Archived