Dany as ruler of the Seven Kingdoms

Ser Lepus

That's the funny part about Dany. Do you ever wish to know how some mad queen became mad queen? Look through Dany's eyes for a few books. GRRM really works a miracle there.

dammmmmmmmmmm need to no moreeeeeeeeee

If it makes you feel better, she's convinced herself that she's totally in the right. That doesn't mean that she is.

so she becomes mad but does she still have a heart? like does she cry? get upset have feelings or just mad and kills who she wants , tortures people who she thinks guility without proof

so she becomes mad but does she still have a heart? like does she cry? get upset have feelings or just mad and kills who she wants , tortures people who she thinks guility without proof

Nah she hasn't reached the levels of cartoon villainy yet. A lot of people on here even think that her torture and crucifixions were justified. I'm just not one of them.

Nah she hasn't reached the levels of cartoon villainy yet. A lot of people on here even think that her torture and crucifixions were justified. I'm just not one of them.

well im not happy about it and him a big fan i thought she seemed differnt compared to joffrey?

I agree that Dany has exhibited some moments of extreme reactionary brutality, and could possibly end up going against characters we like more, but I'm not sure if she's completely incapable of reigning in her more absurd policies and behaviors by the end of the story. I think some of the other characters in the story could've made similarly stupid/brutal moves if they had as much power at their disposal as Dany does (like Arya for instance, who seems to kill just for kicks and we still love her). I kind of put her into a category like Sansa (who many people of course despise), who makes a lot of seriously stupid errors and shows some despicable behaviors, but shes a basically a child so I give her a pass. In Dany's case she's even more poorly educated and raised, so it should be predictably much worse ... Also the fact that most POV characters (even some of the most beloved like Tyrion) hold contemptuous attitudes towards the smalfolk or rabble or whatever you want to call makes it harder for me to judge her as harshley as some might. I also think the fact that she understands that she's causing serious problems whenever she tries to be benevolent is an indicator that she isn't going completely mad ... and I think getting her out of Meereen seems to have stabilized her a little bit.

I agree that Dany has exhibited some moments of extreme reactionary brutality, and could possibly end up going against characters we like more, but I'm not sure if she's completely incapable of reigning in her more absurd policies and behaviors by the end of the story. I think some of the other characters in the story could've made similarly stupid/brutal moves if they had as much power at their disposal as Dany does (like Arya for instance, who seems to kill just for kicks and we still love her). I kind of put her into a category like Sansa (who many people of course despise), who makes a lot of seriously stupid errors and shows some despicable behaviors, but shes a basically a child so I give her a pass. In Dany's case she's even more poorly educated and raised, so it should be predictably much worse ... Also the fact that most POV characters (even some of the most beloved like Tyrion) hold contemptuous attitudes towards the smalfolk or rabble or whatever you want to call makes it harder for me to judge her as harshley as some might. I also think the fact that she understands that she's causing serious problems whenever she tries to be benevolent is an indicator that she isn't going completely mad ... and I think getting her out of Meereen seems to have stabilized her a little bit.

What are you doing bringing even-handed, reasonable assessments into these forums?

well im not happy about it and him a big fan i thought she seemed differnt compared to joffrey?

She is different. Where Joffrey is simply sociopathic, Dany is delusional. For example, she believes herself not restricted by human weaknesses like burning and glosses over evidence to the contrary.

Bright Blue Eyes is correct. She's not a sociopath or mean-spirited. Which I'd argue actually makes her more dangerous.

Bright Blue Eyes is correct. She's not a sociopath or mean-spirited. Which I'd argue actually makes her more dangerous.

she doesnt kill people for fun im sure of that

im sure every king and queen has killed people so why is dany getting the most hate for it?

Her problem is whatever she does will result in something bad happening. She realized that and then became fickle, procrastination on issues gave the power of decisions to those around her who either was playing their own game or had extreme views as well.

If Varys and company gave her and her brother the same education that they gave Young Griff, maybe, she wouldn't be in this crazymess. They didn't care because in their eyes Dany was just a pawn if even. It might come back to bite them in the ass, maybe it will be Dany vs. YG and someone else playing the whisper game to destroy both YG and Dany.

But wotad should check out that dress in the book. She doesn't wear that dress in the HBO series.

I'm not sure that Dany is/will be/might be/would be a better or a worse ruler of Westeros than anybody else. The problem is that the institution is flawed, even the 'best' person put in that position will become flawed. Only in fantasy can one person know the right thing to do and do it in the right way all the time. It is known.

I cannot imagine the new High Septon will be pleased with a child of incest becoming queen. Now that the faith have rearmed they can cause huge issues for even the most powerful rulers. Hell, the old Targ kings had a tough time dealing with the faith and they had more than 3 full grown and fully trained Dragons (Aegon started with 3, Jahereys took 6 north, he may have had more)

I cannot imagine the new High Septon will be pleased with a child of incest becoming queen. Now that the faith have rearmed they can cause huge issues for even the most powerful rulers. Hell, the old Targ kings had a tough time dealing with the faith and they had more than 3 full grown and fully trained Dragons (Aegon started with 3, Jahereys took 6 north, he may have had more)

If he rejects Dany because she is a child of incest, he would have to declare heretics all the previous High Septons since Aegon the Conqueror who accepted the Targayrens...he might demand that she ends the custom of incestous marriage, but I´m not sure he would reject the Targayren dinasty as product of incest.

If he rejects Dany because she is a child of incest, he would have to declare heretics all the previous High Septons since Aegon the Conqueror who accepted the Targayrens...he might demand that she ends the custom of incestous marriage, but I´m not sure he would reject the Targayren dinasty as product of incest.

I think he would, what would it matter, he hated the previous hig septon and seems to be a fundementalist. He put a septon into the cells for being too fat while half of Westeros starved.

1. As Robert said to Ned: the king shits the hand cleans it up after him. It is not the King/Queen who will be the important but the one who actually handless the matters. Tywin during Aerys (until he was the King, there was peace and prosperity in Westeros, Aerys didn't do anything for that, Jon Arryn under Robert (there are still people who love Robert, think about the BwB, Tyrion for Joffrey, and now Cersi ruled in the name of Tommen))

2. The above already happened with Dany, while she literaly shits in the dessert her Hand, Baristan is left to clean up her mess.

3. In the company my brother works, there are people who get really high position because of their family, and relationships despite having no qualification. He sais the worst among them are the ones, who think that they should work, since they lack of knowledge, they ideas are usually incredible dumb (but since they want to do something, they are important since they have the high postion, those ideas have to be done), and they push these ideas to be done, and the people in lesser postions can1t really tell them it would just make everything worse, and just make everything worse, and the actual workers have to deal with the consequences. They don't necesserly want anything bad, on the other hand they want to do something and work. Dany reminds me of them. She does have good intentions like them but she lacks the knowledge.

4. I wouldn't say Dany is mad, just extremly deillusional. If that would be madness everyone who believes in something that might not be true is mad (all the religious people). But that doesn't mean that it is Ok for a leader to have extreme deillusions. Imagine if a leader believed that if he tosses every day someone of from a high place then his kingdom will live in peace and prosperity. Or if a leader believs he can't get sick, so he is not careful, and maybe dies by a disaese he got from somewhere.

5. If Dany can lose some of her extreme deillusions and she can finally come to the realisation that she is no good when it comes to handling everyday matters (she has a short temper, it bores her, lacks the knowledge we all saw it in Meereen), she could be a great leader. She has charisma wich is important, she can show the dragon(s, we will see how much). But she needs to carefully choose her Hand and Council, and so far Dany is not really good when it comes to choosing her men. Since she chooses yesmens just like Cersei did. So all in all I see little chance for her to be a good ruler.

5. If Dany can lose some of her extreme deillusions and she can finally come to the realisation that she is no good when it comes to handling everyday matters (she has a short temper, it bores her, lacks the knowledge we all saw it in Meereen), she could be a great leader. She has charisma wich is important, she can show the dragon(s, we will see how much). But she needs to carefully choose her Hand and Council, and so far Dany is not really good when it comes to choosing her men. Since she chooses yesmens just like Cersei did. So all in all I see little chance for her to be a good ruler.

She might become better with handling everyday matters with more maturity and experience. But you are right, she needs a good Hand and Council. Someone suggested in another thread that Stannis might become Dany's Hand in the end. (That's how he will sit on the Iron Throne). It would probably be a good solution. He has the qualities Dany lacks while Dany has passion and charisma he lacks.

I don't think she is going mad actually. She is going to come to terms with her own nature, not trying to be something she isn't and also learn from her mistakes. It's really the trait of insecure leaders to try to be nice and please their subordinates and when this results in chaos they lash out in frustration. And of course if they have absolute power it can result in extreme cruelties. It's also similar to what Theon did in Winterfell. He started killing because he couldn't control the situation.

Yes, she is delusional but look at William the Conqueror or Napoleon, they also attacked other countries and caused thousands of people to die because they believed they were entitled to do so.

Archived