help with some English please.

DirePenguin

When Jorah read the letter from Illyrio he knew that there would be an attempt to murder Dany. When the wineseller refused to try his own wine then Jorah knew that the wineseller was the assassin.

To me it means that there are 300 people in that army. No idea if the speaker (this is an excerpt of dialogue, yes?) thinks that's a decent-sized army or not; that kind of thing tends to be relative. Or the army is holding a narrow pass which you want to attack in your thousands, and the army is made up of Spartans. ;)

What is "arms" in this context? Not the sleeves?

“Look at the arms on his surcoat,” Jon suggested.

Arya looked. An ornate shield had been embroidered on the prince’s padded surcoat. No doubt the needlework was exquisite. The arms were divided down the middle; on one side was the crowned stag of the royal House, on the other the lion of Lannister.

in this case it's referring to his coat of arms, which is his house symbol. In this case they're embroidered on his surcoat and consist of the royal Baratheon emblem and the lion of Lannister.

This sentence. Is the "barbaric splendor" referring to the field? So Dany is scared, and the field is splendor?

The marriage is being celebrated according to Dothraki customs: it's their leader (king) who is marrying a princess, so everything is as rich and splendid as the they can make it, but it's done in Dothraki (ie, barbarian) style rather than in the style of Westeros or the Free Cities.

No, the field is where the wedding is taking place. Barbaric splendour describes the wedding - so maybe the ceremony, but certainly the people and the clothes that they wore, any equipment, carriages, horses and their gear...All of that is splendid, but also barbaric (in Dany's eyes).

About the word "green"

- Tywin thinking about Robb as a green boy.

- How Jon Snow thought himself to be so green (for asking to join Benjen's ranging).

Am I thinking too much to relate these green with grass? I know they meant inexperience. But I remember reading someone mentioned "green as summer grass that only knows summer" and that's how I always interpret these green: the color of inexperienced grass that has never seen winter.

It seems to me that it is not particularly meant to refer to grass, no.

Many fruits and vegetables are green when not yet mature, after all. Grass is often always green, so it is not the best illustration.

That said, it is interesting that grass was brought up as an example. Maybe it is meant as a reference to passivity and suffering?

About the word "green"

- Tywin thinking about Robb as a green boy.

- How Jon Snow thought himself to be so green (for asking to join Benjen's ranging).

Am I thinking too much to relate these green with grass? I know they meant inexperience. But I remember reading someone mentioned "green as summer grass that only knows summer" and that's how I always interpret these green: the color of inexperienced grass that has never seen winter.

Whenever I see this reference , Dire Penguin, it actually makes me think of wood. In medieval times wood was used for many things, for arrows and bows, for spears, for building houses, for fires. Green wood can't be used, because green wood is soft and won't hold up to pressure. Wood has to be old and dried to harden for strength. It can be cut down green, but then the moisture has to be dried out. An arrow made of green wood won't shoot straight. A house built of green wood will shift and the walls will crack as the wood dries out. A fire made of green wood won't burn well, crackling and popping, or won't burn at all. When you look for wood for a fire, you look for fallen, dead, dried branches on the forrest floor. When you cut wood in the summer for use in the winter, you chop it up and stack it and let it dry, so it will burn. The process can be referred to as seasoning.

Tywin is saying Robb is an unseasoned commander, green and fresh and therefore not good.

The mysterious character Howland Reed lives in The Neck, and the people who live in The Neck are called crannogmen. Crannogs are the bogs, and the people live on floating islands in the crannog. They are subsistence fishermen and hunters. But they are fierce fighters and hate Freys.

Ah I found a few

You’re no ranger, Jon, only a green boy with the smell of summer still on you.”

“I sent Benjen Stark to search after Yohn Royce’s son, lost on his first ranging. The Royce boy was green as summer grass, yet he insisted on the honor of his own command, saying it was his due as a knight.”

Cursing, the Greatjon flung a flagon of ale into the fire and bellowed that Robb was so green he must piss grass.

The exchange makes no sense to me out of context, but yes, it sounds like a variation on "is that a knife pressing against my back, or are you happy to see me?". Was, before that, Jon thinking he raped her and apologizing by any chance?

Hope im not spoiling

They had to sleep in the middle of no where and it's very cold. So Jon kinda press himself close to her from behind - to fight the cold. They're wearing very thick clothes tho.

And then they continue . . . this ? Stones?

Y: Don't your stones start to hurt if your bone never gets--

J: Don't call them that!

Archived