help with some English please.

DirePenguin

How do you say "sentence you to die" in the present day?

In Britain they used to say 'you are sentenced to be taken from this place and hanged by the neck until dead'. The form of words probably depends on the method of execution, but I guess it would be less personal than what Eddard says

Eh oui Errant Bardm tu as parfaitement raison... sorry for the misspelling. I am a native speaker of German, but living in the French speaking part of Switzerland btw and I still remember how hard I found it sometimes to read in a foreign language. But I'm also a teacher, and Dire Penguin, I can tell you that very often if you don't understand every word, it does not matter so much as long as you get the storyline.

However I really wish my students would put as much as energy as you in their reading. :)

Hi Lyeder!

This is my 2nd reading actually. :read: I think I understood the main story line. But I decided I want to try understand every single details this time around.

It's been a very great learning experience! I've learned a lot, received so much help, and am very surprised to realized how much more I need learn (9 pages of questions. :shocked: )

Thanks everyone for dropping by and kindly help answer my questions :) My native language is Thai, by the way.

My native language is Thai, by the way.

I'm surprised...I thought you would be in Europe because of the times that you are posting.

What is "have a temper"? Not in a good mood?

Yes but here to have a bad temper, to be in a bad mood, to be angry and irritable. :)

After Arya stabbed the stable boy, the book says

Arya stood over the body, still and frightened in the face of death

Does the "Stood over" implies any position or gesture? Like, standing really close? Bending over the body? Looking down? Or just simply standing?

Arya was having a lesson with Syrio. freedictionary says "at sea" could mean confused. But I still can't understand why she'd be confused by her bruise?

“Ow! “ she cried out. She would have a fresh bruise there by the time she went to sleep, somewhere out at sea. A bruise is a lesson, she told herself, and each lesson makes us better.

Arya was having a lesson with Syrio. freedictionary says "at sea" could mean confused. But I still can't understand why she'd be confused by her bruise?

Is this when they are preparing to leave for Winterfell? Because it could literally mean that by the time she is on the ship, she will have a bruise.

Archived