The Winds of Winter: Victarion I ?

MountainMan

Had to comment on the dragon horn topic. Dragons apparently have horns, based on the tv series, they have more than one horn, possibly many horns. The dragons may have more than one horn, but that does not mean that more than one horn has been made into a "horn" that you blow to produce a sound. We need to clear that up, every time GRRM says horn or horns, it does not automatically mean that he is referring to musical horns.

I think it is unlikely that he was referring to the horns on the dragons head as both being made into "musical" horns. It is likely there is ONE dragon horn.

Lets keep excitement tempered.

Hmm, is Victarion setting up his own downfall? Sending all his best fighters off in a fleet of non-battleships to capture more ships.

I wonder if we will see Dany somewhow gaining control of Wulfe's fleet and thereby having the ships to take her home. Victarion then falls victim to some unhappy fate - destruction by the Volantene fleet? Euron followed him with his own ships? Dragons get driven crazy by the horn and smash the Iron Fleet?

Had to comment on the dragon horn topic. Dragons apparently have horns, based on the tv series, they have more than one horn, possibly many horns. The dragons may have more than one horn, but that does not mean that more than one horn has been made into a "horn" that you blow to produce a sound. We need to clear that up, every time GRRM says horn or horns, it does not automatically mean that he is referring to musical horns.

I think it is unlikely that he was referring to the horns on the dragons head as both being made into "musical" horns. It is likely there is ONE dragon horn.

Lets keep excitement tempered.

Well, at least there were two horns. The one Mance has at the wall (he says, he found it in a giants grave, but who knows). That one was burned along with the fake Mance. And then of course there is the one, that Victarion rest his hopes and dreams on has got on his ship.

Hmm, is Victarion setting up his own downfall? Sending all his best fighters off in a fleet of non-battleships to capture more ships.

I wonder if we will see Dany somewhow gaining control of Wulfe's fleet and thereby having the ships to take her home. Victarion then falls victim to some unhappy fate - destruction by the Volantene fleet? Euron followed him with his own ships? Dragons get driven crazy by the horn and smash the Iron Fleet?

On second reading, maybe not. It sounds like this chapter is set on the very eve of some major engagement - Vic thinks about "the things this day would bring". My first read through, at speed, I thought that Wulfe was being sent off on some sort of long-range mission to find more ships.

That's what I believe will happen - but ten what? The dragons (at least Viserion and Rhaegal) go flying on their own to Westeros and meet Euron? I sure hope that's something along those lines, since Euron will soon die anyway, and then the dragons will be free (and in Westeros!) to pick a new rider. And burn a few people, and villages, along the way.

I have a feeling that Euron is not in Westeros but near Victorian, waiting to claim the dragons. I am hopeful that the horn will only bind one dragon, but it is possible both Viserion and Rhaegal are bound by the horn. That would make sense as to why it's so important that Dany is away with Drogon so she will still be in control of him.

Moqorro says, "Your brother did not sound the horn himself. Nor must you. Here. 'Blood for fire, fire for blood.' Who blows the hellhorn matters not. The dragons will come to the horn's master. You must claim the horn. With blood."

I want to know how he claims it with blood. By killing Euron, presumably the horn's master? I just don't see one dragon binding horn being able to control multiple dragons just by blowing it. There has to be more to it or any Valyrian who had a horn could have blown it and claimed another person's dragons. I lean toward it being able to control one dragon, but you need the dragon's blood or something else to be able to control it.

Oh I love Victarion! He has such a honest brutality to him!

Question is if Euron is the horns owner or the one who blows it, so to say, will he have to kill Euron or a simple Threll? If killing the thrells is enough, what says that Eurons threll was killed by blowing the horn, and not simply got his throat cut by Euron..? It all might just be a tale Euron tells.

Anyhow, I can't see Victarion dying anytime soon. The way I've read the prophecies from the House of the Undying, Victarion is the one who will bring Dany to Westeros.

"At an "In Conversation..." event at Toronto's TIFF Bell Lightbox in March 2012, Martin read a portion of a Victarion chapter that takes place on the eve of the Iron Islanders surprise attack on the cities in Slaver's Bay. Also in March 2012, the author said that the book is expected to be finished in two or thee years.[6] Roughly 200 pages were complete at that time.[7]" - WiKi

I'm pretty sure the Dusky women isn't a faceless man. Mostly because that's not how the FM role. They're only job is to kill a dude, not impersonate him or give dragon horns or anything like that. That's not part of the contract.

I completely agree. Can't see a faceless man agreeing to be a sex slave to used by Vic at his every need, not even for a kill. From my understanding they cost an arm and leg just to kill normal person. Supposedly, Euron hired one to kill Balon. If so, he must be carrying so serious loot.

Moqorro says, "Your brother did not sound the horn himself. Nor must you. Here. 'Blood for fire, fire for blood.' Who blows the hellhorn matters not. The dragons will come to the horn's master. You must claim the horn. With blood."

I want to know how he claims it with blood. By killing Euron, presumably the horn's master? I just don't see one dragon binding horn being able to control multiple dragons just by blowing it.

I'm guessing by killing the thralls. Whoever holds the horn at the time is presumably it's master. He lets them all blow it once then kills them, therefore, creating the necessary blood sacrifice. He thinks that the thralls are all going to die anyway so it makes sense.

I have a feeling that Euron is not in Westeros but near Victorian, waiting to claim the dragons.

I think so too. It seems very unlikely that he'd trust Vic so implicitly, even though he knows he hates him. It would also go with the vision Moqorro sees that he tells Tyrion about - the one where he sees a kraken with one black eye sailing on a sea of blood.

I'm guessing by killing the thralls. Whoever holds the horn at the time is presumably it's master. He lets them all blow it once then kills them, therefore, creating the necessary blood sacrifice. He thinks that the thralls are all going to die anyway so it makes sense.

I think so too. It seems very unlikely that he'd trust Vic so implicitly, even though he knows he hates him. It would also go with the vision Moqorro sees that he tells Tyrion about - the one where he sees a kraken with one black eye sailing on a sea of blood.

Near the end of the chapter Grrm read,right after they get three people to blow the horn Moqqoro asks Victarion if he "wants him to bleed him". So Victarions blood is part of the ritual. Not sure how bleeding him will help if he doesn't blow the horn but I wanted to share that.

Near the end of the chapter Grrm read,right after they get three people to blow the horn Moqqoro asks Victarion if he "wants him to bleed him". So Victarions blood is part of the ritual. Not sure how bleeding him will help if he doesn't blow the horn but I wanted to share that.

Ah, good point. I didn't put those two together (I was wondering why they mentioned bleeding). Makes sense, since in order to have fire, he needs to make a sacrifice of his blood. Then he just has to claim the horn once the thralls die.

Okay, clear this up for me. Has another chapter been released? I read the Theon one, bu didn't know whether there was another one out or not.

I wouldn't say GRRM "released" a chapter per se. More like he read aloud two or three pages at a event in Toronto. There's a video posted in SSM if you want to check it out.

GRRM read a Some pages at an event.

Ah, good point. I didn't put those two together (I was wondering why they mentioned bleeding). Makes sense, since in order to have fire, he needs to make a sacrifice of his blood. Then he just has to claim the horn once the thralls die.

Yeah but will he get the chance? I have a feeling the cliffhanger/surprise Was left out.

Archived