The Winds of Winter: Victarion I ?

MountainMan

Its not that Victarion is a "bad ass" that I find appealing. He is a ridiculously over the top character who is overshadowed by his even more ridiculously over the top brother! He's like a character in a crazy black comedy, whenever he does something evil I find myself saying to myself "you've got to be kidding me".

There is a weird confidence, even when he's moping about Euron that he has.

And he has a magic black hand!

I still think he primarily exists to provide a fleet of ships for Dany to get back to Westeros, but I enjoy his chapters because they are ridiculous.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but it is supposed to bind dragons to the owner of the horn.

Moqorro tells Victorian the dragons will come to the owner of the horn so it doesn't matter who blows it (no mortal man may sound the horn and live), but the horn must be claimed with blood to own it. I wonder if they've figured out how to make Victorian the owner of the horn. I thought that the last book made it seem if Victorian has the horn sounded, he hasn't claimed it as its owner through blood, and I figured Euron was the owner and the dragons will be bound to him if it is sounded.

That might be Euron's angle right there, or it was simply a plot to get Victorian out of the picture for a while. Perhaps Euron knew that blowing the horn could kill a man, and hoped to dispose of Victarion while hopefully gaining control over some dragons?

Thing we've learned in this series. Magical objects seldom work exactly as expected. Like the Horn of Joramun being a fraud.

This little snipit was AWESOME!

Victarion is obviously not a nice man. He is savage and fierce... a real warrior. He is brooding and smolders on past affronts. But he isn't sadistic. All his cruelty has a purpose, the furtherance of his mission to Dany in this case.

I still wonder if the one eyed monster with ten arms sailing on a sea of blood is Euron or the 3EC?

This little snipit was AWESOME!

Victarion is obviously not a nice man. He is savage and fierce... a real warrior. He is brooding and smolders on past affronts. But he isn't sadistic. All his cruelty has a purpose, the furtherance of his mission to Dany in this case.

I still wonder if the one eyed monster with ten arms sailing on a sea of blood is Euron or the 3EC?

Its been interpreted to mean Euron:

1. One eyed monster - Euron himself

2. Ten Arms - the Greyjoy Kraken

3. sea of blood - his ship the silence is painted red like blood

If he wasn't dumb as a box of rocks, he'd be Euron.

We know from the new chapter that the guy can come up with impressive sounding strategies (that required him to plan weeks ahead and gather every crappy ship he came across) and is capable of conscious psychological insight that allowed him to play the three rowers like fiddles. Calling him dumb at this point is unfounded. He's hilariously awkward when not commanding and his hang-ups about his brother are pretty pitiful, but I see nothing to suggest that he's stupid.

Here is why I like Victarion...

I work in an office, thusly I am forced to solve any disputes with compromise and negotiation. I am by far the largest, strongest and best fighter in my office. Victarion gets to solve his problems the way I wish I could solve mine.... Lots and lots of smashing.

I'm actually scared to meet TV Vic, because I have a clearer picture of him in my head than any other character and I don't want that ruined. If anyone watched TV wrestling in the early to mid 80's Vic = The Warlord.

We know from the new chapter that the guy can come up with impressive sounding strategies (that required him to plan weeks ahead and gather every crappy ship he came across) and is capable of conscious psychological insight that allowed him to play the three rowers like fiddles. Calling him dumb at this point is unfounded. He's hilariously awkward when not commanding and his hang-ups about his brother are pretty pitiful, but I see nothing to suggest that he's stupid.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to say he is lacking intelligence in certain areas, but I agree that he is certainly not dumb.

Victarion IS pretty sadistic and cruel. Look at his treatment of the poor Maester and the innocent girls he burned. Vic is a bit less twisted than his brother but is still a psychopath. I can't wait for his sick stupid ass to burn in dragon fire.

I guess you missed out that the "poor maester" was actually a double agent for Euron and tried to kill Victarion . Why do you think his hand was getting worse each time he was cleaning his wound so sorry but I'm not going to feel bad for someone who had it coming to him .

I guess you missed out that the "poor maester" was actually a double agent for Euron and tried to kill Victarion . Why do you think his hand was getting worse each time he was cleaning his wound so sorry but I'm not going to feel bad for someone who had it coming to him .

No one deserves to be gangraped and killed.

I thought that his hand kept getting worse because it was infected? The only reason it got better is because Moqorro performed some black fire magic on it.

Despite my expectations, Victarion has become one of my favorite POVs to read (or be read to, as here). I see him as almost the anthesis of Tyrior. Easily manipulated where Tyrion is crafty. Strong and respected where Tyrion is a dwarf. He even nurses his "victimhood" by family members where Tyrion seemed to accept what happened, get revenge, and then move on. I could go on but I think you guys see the point.

Which leads me to hope (!) that we get to see both of these guys interact and their respective POVs vis-a-vis each other. I would guess that they would complement each other nicely in service to Dany's cause, but Victarion's eternal hatred of anything that reminds him of monkeys gives me some concern.

Damn, this is going to be a tough wait for Winds. The HBO series is becoming both a blessing and a curse since aSoIaF is always in the newspapers!

Saw George read a section of this last night, basically just laying out Victarion's plan for slavers bay. One thing he did say of interest is that he will be reading a section of the first Tyrion chapter at the Eastercon event in London next week which people may want to look out for.

Saw George read a section of this last night, basically just laying out Victarion's plan for slavers bay. One thing he did say of interest is that he will be reading a section of the first Tyrion chapter at the Eastercon event in London next week which people may want to look out for.

Oh man... I hope this gets recorded like the Victarion chapter was. It's just not as good trying to pump people who heard it for the details...

Oh man... I hope this gets recorded like the Victarion chapter was. It's just not as good trying to pump people who heard it for the details...

Well he did say that he didn't want anyone recording last night so I would suggest if someone with good shorthand is going they might want to take a pen and paper.

George read this chapeter again today.

the only points I can add was Victoian pleasured the duskey woman in this chapter because he never spends his seed before a fight. and she Bled him. Vic then rubbed the blood over the runes on the horn.

Vic thinks Euron was a fool to give him the horn and he thinks Euron ment for him to die when it was blown, but thinks its lucky he has the red preist who can read the runes on the horn which tells how to use it.

George read this chapeter again today.

the only points I can add was Victoian pleasured the duskey woman in this chapter because he never spends his seed before a fight. and she Bled him. Vic then rubbed the blood over the runes on the horn.

Vic thinks Euron was a fool to give him the horn and he thinks Euron ment for him to die when it was blown, but thinks its lucky he has the red preist who can read the runes on the horn which tells how to use it.

Thanks for the extra details. I figured claiming the horn with blood worked that way, but I think Moqorro left something out when he translated the glyphs. Blood magic comes at a cost throughout the series, one theory is only those with blood of the dragon or Valyrian blood can use it. Another more probable theory is that Victarion doesn't know a hidden cost to the horn.

Thanks for the extra details. I figured claiming the horn with blood worked that way, but I think Moqorro left something out when he translated the glyphs. Blood magic comes at a cost throughout the series, one theory is only those with blood of the dragon or Valyrian blood can use it. Another more probable theory is that Victarion doesn't know a hidden cost to the horn.

Or king's blood. I don't suppose Victarion would count for that though in any case, considering it was his brother who was a king, not his father.

Looking back at the rest of the books, it seems to me that Victarion is going to suffer well and die horribly in the end. Euron will be the big scary Kraken for Dany. George couldn't possibly let such an obvious plot go through to fruition.

Victarion getting sabotaged by Euron would be much more predictable than Euron's scheme failing. Then again he does need to kill off some POVs.

Archived