NFL 22: Free Agency part deux

Mexal

More details are coming out about Manning's contract. It looks like he will be paid 19 mil in 2012 without any injury protection to the Broncos.

Hate to say I told you so Kal, but...ah fuck it, I TOLD YOU SO. I think Mack Kilamaro bottom-lined it well a couple of pages back. I don't begrudge the guy going after the money he feels he deserves or the level of control that he's earned, but let's not put him up on a pedestal.

I don't remember Fetushead ever restructuring his deal to enable the Colts to make big Free Agent signing back in the day. He signed his last blockbuster deal with the Colts while injured. I'm sure he believed that he'd make it back onto the field last season, but the harsh reality is that he didn't and it cost his team 26m against the cap while he rehabbed his injury.

19m with no injury protection is fairly nuts given his recent history. And that's more than the Niners had to offer, so I think it's safe to say that the comparable offer argument is off the table.

19m with no injury protection is fairly nuts given his recent history. And that's more than the Niners had to offer, so I think it's safe to say that the comparable offer argument is off the table.

Just this year though. If he passes the physical next year, there is injury protection in place. Not sure it makes sense to have injury protection this year when the Broncos know exactly where he stands and have had their doctors look at him.

Just this year though. If he passes the physical next year, there is injury protection in place. Not sure it makes sense to have injury protection this year when the Broncos know exactly where he stands and have had their doctors look at him.

No one knows how he's going to stand up to a hit. Not even Pey-Pey.

That being said, he'll be just fine in Denver. I can remember lots of times last year when Tebow had over 6 seconds to throw the ball. 6 SECONDS!

Do you know what Manning will do with 6 seconds? He'll solve a cold case murder, do a crossword, and then throw a TD.

This. x100. It was absurd watching Broncos games last year seeing how much time Tebow had to throw and his continued inability to find a receiver to throw to. A receiver needed to be visibly open for Tebow to throw him the ball which in the NFL is never. If you see him open, you've already missed the window you were supposed to throw. Compared to his last couple years with the Colts I imagine it'll feel like Club Med behind the Broncos O-line. Not that Peyton Manning ever needed much time to throw - he always had the fastest release in football and was just about the hardest guy to sack.

The biggest question I have is the speed with which Thomas and Decker get on the same page with Manning. They're going from playing with a Sandlot style QB to one based on total precision. Lazy, imprecise route running ain't gonna cut it anymore and neither guy looks like Reggie Wayne...yet.

Miami doesn't deserve a good team. I lived there for several years, and their fans are the worst in the country. The Marlins win World Series, and don't sell out games in the playoffs. The Heat didn't sell out in a couple of playoff games last year as well. No one goes to Dolphin's games at all. I don't think the lack of attraction to that city is all about the front office,

Very true. :(

No one knows how he's going to stand up to a hit. Not even Pey-Pey.

I think the neck is fine. I think it's the arm strength that was the concern. Many doctors have medically cleared Peyton's neck injury.

I think the neck is fine. I think it's the arm strength that was the concern. Many doctors have medically cleared Peyton's neck injury.

In no way should any fan of the Broncos be comfortable with the above sentence. Even if its true (big if).

He'll "probably" be fine but eventually people need to understand that neck surgeries are never wonderful, the arm strength is a huge concern and he's older. Over tiome they will all ctach up with you. Add in learning anew system and its a crap shoot. He may recover and be able to recapture 2009 magic; he may struggle the whole way. Its all still in play.

Manning's contract is essentially a one year 18 million dollar one. The Broncos can cut him at the end of the year if he fails the physical.

Remember the 2009 "juggernaut" colts that went to the Superbowl? How much better was that team compared to the the Broncos team that I think they will have at the start of 2012 (WR Wallace from Steelers, RB Stewart from Carolina+ some Manning pals like Saturday et al)?

In no way should any fan of the Broncos be comfortable with the above sentence. Even if its true (big if).

He'll "probably" be fine but eventually people need to understand that neck surgeries are never wonderful, the arm strength is a huge concern and he's older. Over tiome they will all ctach up with you. Add in learning anew system and its a crap shoot. He may recover and be able to recapture 2009 magic; he may struggle the whole way. Its all still in play.

I have to agree with you. I don't see him learning a new system as a problem, but certainly he'll need to get in sync with his new receivers. While there are a lot of "ifs", I think the revenue pull for having Manning on a new team must tip the balance well in his favor for any team signing him. I'm not a Broncos fan but I'd love to see Manning tear up the field.

Manhole, you're wrong.

For starters we don't know how much of that 19m is guaranteed or how much is incentive. But let's assume there are no incentives and it's a flat salary.

The no injury guaranteed money is huge. This means that if he gets injured in game 1? 1/16th of that money is all he gets. Injury in training camp? Gets nothing. Sits out for any game with an injury? No money for that game. That's a really big deal and more gutsy than incentives - that says simply if he's not playing he doesn't get paid at all.

How is that about the money? I was wrong, I admit - I would have never dreamed Peyton would put his money where his mouth was in such a dramatic way.

As an example, Mario Williams is guaranteed $50m regardless of injury. And he's been injured all over the place.

Also, Peyton restructured at least once that I can find an immediate value for, and I think did it a couple other times. He did once for sure right after the sb win, saving 8.2m in cap space.

The whole Peyton was in it only for the money is a crap argument in my opinion. This thing cost him $11 million this year. If he were truly in it just for the money, he would have gone to Tennessee who was offering him a part of the franchise.

It is a myth however that Wahington would have paid him more. they couldn't have because of the cap. That's why they went all in on RGIII. He will only cost 5 million or so next year.

It is a myth however that Wahington would have paid him more. they couldn't have because of the cap. That's why they went all in on RGIII. He will only cost 5 million or so next year.

This wasn't the case. The Skins had $40 million of cap room coming into this offseason. Or at least they did until the whole bullshit cap fine came down. But that only surfaced after they had already been turned down by Peyton.

interesting....

Don't like that at all. Basically the only weakness the Eagles had last season was a horrendous linebacker corps and even worse safeties but seems like they've been addressing both pretty effectively this offseason.

If Rex Ryan and Tim Tebow pair up, it'll be the best buddy comedy ever.

Just another twist in this offseason I am loving. Let's make this happen - so much potential drama. We could have a pool of when this would cause Mark Sanchez to flip the fuck out (I've got week 2). Can also just imagine the Tebow crazies invading the Meadowlands and the ensuing knife fights that would break out Gangs of New York style with the equally passionate J-E-T-S true believers. I have this vision of Rex Ryan applying biblical allegories to his press conferences and saying shit like how the Hand of God has smitten the Dolphins and that the Bills will be walking through the valley of the shadow of death...this Sunday.

Archived