Could Coldhands be the Night's King?

DoctorSwerve

the Benjen is Coldhands thing is so annoying, there's absolutely no evidence to suggest so and plenty of evidence to suggest against and people keep stating it as if its a fact as sure as Frey pies.

:agree: I think Benjen is alive and is the one who left that obsidian care package near the fist. The CH=NK theory is much more intriguing, especially if he was cursed to walk the earth until the Others came back.

Also, wasn't NK's wife an Other? Blue eyes could mean wight, but the 'skin white as the moon' description to me suggests that she may have been an Other.

• 1 month later...

:agree: I think Benjen is alive and is the one who left that obsidian care package near the fist. The CH=NK theory is much more intriguing, especially if he was cursed to walk the earth until the Others came back.

Also, wasn't NK's wife an Other? Blue eyes could mean wight, but the 'skin white as the moon' description to me suggests that she may have been an Other.

It is almost positive that she was an Other, as they forsaked NH due to his closeness with her. If he was just corrupted by being around them, not killed and changed, maybe that would mean why he still maintains his ability to think and move independently.

But Bran the Builder was never Lord Commander of the NW? Or is it mentioned somewhere? And he built the wall - The Night's King is supposedly the 13'th Lord Commander which means that there would have been some considerable time going by.

Or did the Night watch exist before the wall?

Yes it's a large amount of evidence pointing to Bran Stark = NK mostly assured by Old Nan. I just need som explaining here...

I'm pretty sure if the NK was a Stark, he was another, later Brandon Stark, not Brandon the Builder. The NK was the 13th commander. It may be that it took the lifetime (terms in office) of 13 or more commanders to complete it, but Bran the Builder seems to be the one who "started" the construction. It seems the Starks really like to call their sons Brandon :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

it's been some very interesting weeks reading in this forum about all the theories about the Starks, the CotF, WW, AA etc. At the moment I'm reading through all the pages of the heresy threads and I can't await reading all the theories that are yet to come. But to Coldhands and the Night's King: I'm not thoroughly convinced by all the theories, be it Benjen, Will or the Night's King. True, the NK would make the most sense since Coldhands knows about the secret passage and was killed long ago. But still it doesn't seem to make sense to me, that Joramun and the Stark of Winterfell brought him down but after all the shit that happened with the Others and the wights didn't slash him to pieces and burned the remains.

What I find interesting is how the NK first meets his WWW (White Walker Wive ;) ): "Fearing nothing, he chased her and caught her and loved her, though her skin

was cold as ice, and when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well."

Why not "and he made her his queen" or "and gave her a crown" or "and took her as his wive". I think it's quite important to know, that they had sex. I don't know too much about the fertility of ice demons but after 13 years, shouldn't we expect some children of this union? Also it is said he was sacrificing to the others so what if he had a first born son and all the children to come were being sacrificed?!

So long story short, what if "they killed him long ago" is not entirely correct, since he never really lived because Coldhands is not the Night's King himself but the product of the union between man (NK) and white walker (WWW).

I don't have really any proof, but I think that Coldhands is the Night's King. Since he was married to an Other, it's likely that he was wighted in the process. Once he was taken down, I think that his connection to the Others was broken and thus he had a return to sanity. This would be very possible in a land still rich in magic. His punishment ended up being that he had to walk the earth as a wight until the Others return, at which time he could be released from his penance.

As a previous Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, he would have known all of the secrets of the Wall, including its secret passages, which I don't think that any current Night's Watch member would known even existed.

Thoughts?

What you pointed out here is very interesting. It certainly fits the "they killed him a long time ago" scenario.

Furthermore, the coming of the Long Night seems to have triggered several magical chain of events. I've read it somewhere that it was Bloodraven who sent those direwolves to the Stark's? (Is it just a theory or was this actually stated in the books? I don't remember.) One could even argue that the coming of dragons is also because of the Long Night, because "ice and fire" and there must be a balance.

Very good speculation :cheers:

• 5 months later...

I am definitely into NK = CH but I am also interested in the NK child thing. A couple people said things that are heading in this direction but when the NK was lord commander he took the nightfort as his commanding seat instead of castle black. The nightfort is also where the black gate is so it makes sense that either the NK = CH or some half human child of NK would know where the black gate was...

• 1 year later...

Coldhands must be the Night's king . His story of brutality and savagery should be drawn by his adversaries and comrades for two reasons.

First as lord commander he was binded by an oath to follow a chastised life. Yet again he surrendered himself to the graces of his night's queen , a female other. Night's watch appeared to be quite strict with its own rules, at an extend that murder jon snow only because of his attempt to avert the order's neutrality.

Second the tale explicitely states that upon consorting with his Queen, he surrendered his seed and his soul at the same time. This point of the story is covering a rather unique event that could explain the unique nature of coldhands: of a man that became a wight without dying and being resurrected by a white walker's hand but by having sexual intecourse with a white walker woman. So this point can easily give an answer of the unique wight coldhands is, due to the uniqueness of relation the night's king developed.

As such a tale was made to conceal the fact that a man turned alive into a conscious wight and at the same time erase any memory of the night's king from the records of the watch , as this might have been involved in a very serious precedent against the traditions that holds the watch committed and in place.

Or as it said before Coldhands might be the offspring of the Night's King with the White walker.

In any case Coldhands story must be bound to the unique relation of a man with an other to explain the unique nature of this creature.

of a man that became a wight without dying and being resurrected by a white walker's hand but by having sexual intecourse with a white walker woman. So this point can easily give an answer of the unique wight coldhands is, due to the uniqueness of relation the night's king developed.

Wait... Jon is stabbed to death. Val returned with blue eyes at one point (still unknown if it was a mistake in eye colouring or deliberate).... so assume Val is another Night Queen she will awaken Jon?

Long stretch....

Wait... Jon is stabbed to death. Val returned with blue eyes at one point (still unknown if it was a mistake in eye colouring or deliberate).... so assume Val is another Night Queen she will awaken Jon?

Long stretch....

Val was clad all in white; white woolen breeches tucked into high boots of bleached white leather, white bearskin cloak pinned at the shoulder with a carved weirwood face, white tunic with bone fastenings. Her breath was white as well ... but her eyes were blue, her long braid the color of dark honey, her cheeks flushed red from the cold. It had been a long while since Jon Snow had seen a sight so lovely. ”

If Jon Snow is to be resurrected as a conscious and kind wight of a baronial cast similar to Coldhands (Night's King) then yes this might be a long stretch but quite a valid one....after all he is another Lord Commander of royal birth same like the night's king once was...

Val was clad all in white; white woolen breeches tucked into high boots of bleached white leather, white bearskin cloak pinned at the shoulder with a carved weirwood face, white tunic with bone fastenings. Her breath was white as well ... but her eyes were blue, her long braid the color of dark honey, her cheeks flushed red from the cold. It had been a long while since Jon Snow had seen a sight so lovely. ”

If Jon Snow is to be resurrected as a conscious and kind wight of a baronial cast similar to Coldhands (Night's King) then yes this might be a long stretch but quite a valid one....after all he is another Lord Commander of royal birth same like the night's king once was...

In Fact if you want to stretch to much into theory then Val is the daughter (seed) of the Night King and Queen. Jon is the son of Lyanna with the Targaryen Heir . So his son that we haven't seen yet with Val shall be the promised prince that will rule over ice dragons, the white walkers and all lands beyond the wall. Being conscious however he will bring peace, and withdraw in cold lands before the spring, leaving as such southern westeros ruined and at their troubles.

• 1 year later...

Archived