Sandor Alive and well.

Hear Us Roar

I would like for Sandor to remain at the Quiet Island with the monks. Any return to his former life would be badly complicated by his injury for starters and besides, it would very much cheapen his his redemption. Why would a man who has fled from his former life of violence. return to that very life unless he tires of his new life and truely wants to go back to his old one. Furthermore, as has been pointed out, he is now a deserter and as such, his life is forfieit. This particular lot is onlikely to improve if Stannis replaces the Lannisters. It seems like his best bet, if he leaves the monastery would be to go into exile in Essos. Again, I would much rather see him continue life as a monk. It gives a great deal more meaning to his change of heart; something which would otherwise lack meaning completely.

I think it's a pretty much certainty (well as far as you can get in these books) that Sandor is the Gravedigger. As stated all the hints point to it. However I'm also fairly sure that that's his story done. GRRM has given us the hints and now he's at peace so leave him be.

In terms of coming back to battle unGregor. FIrst off will the HS even know he's at QI? It's called Quiet Island for a reason and chances are no one would tell him. Secondly would Sandor even want to? He's found peace and harmony at last in that idea of the Faith of the Seven he's not going to want to strap a sword on again and ride off into that world of violence again. Thirdly assuming the HS does know Sandor is there and that Sandor would want to do it would the HS ask him? I doubt it. He's got an entire military order to choose from so why pick him?

Finally I think the way GRRM has written it leads me to believe he's not bring Sandor back. He's given us enough hints to let us draw a conclusion of what happened to him but equally placed him in the most out of the way place in the Seven Kingdoms and I think he plans to keep him there.

I think that he will come back, GRRM mentioned that his horse is still wild, that might mean that he is still a warrior and that his place is elsewhere. I think that he still has a part to play in Sansa's life, otherwise why would they obsess over each other so much.

I think it's a pretty much certainty (well as far as you can get in these books) that Sandor is the Gravedigger. As stated all the hints point to it. However I'm also fairly sure that that's his story done. GRRM has given us the hints and now he's at peace so leave him be.

In terms of coming back to battle unGregor. FIrst off will the HS even know he's at QI? It's called Quiet Island for a reason and chances are no one would tell him.

I'm pretty sure people in the faith know about the QI and the Elder Brother.

Quite possibly they'd write about that to try and get the crown to sort out the atrocities. However I doubt he'd write 'we've got a new gravedigger here.'

No, but he might very well write, "The Hound is not responsible for the atrocities; he has joined our order and seeks atonement. His confessions are also quite interesting - will speak of these only in person."

No, but he might very well write, "The Hound is not responsible for the atrocities; he has joined our order and seeks atonement. His confessions are also quite interesting - will speak of these only in person."

Well being pedantic he would have said Sandor Clegane is not responsible for the atrocities. However I still feel that it would be too much. Asking for assistance against raiders is one thing giving details of how the Island is running another. Plus the EB seems pretty keen for Sandor (if he is the gravedigger) to find his peace on the island. Writing to KL about him would pretty much guarantee this wouldn't be the case.

Just a side question....has anyone ever wondered if Sandor could be a warg? There were two things that made me give it a passing thought.

1. Stranger can only seem to be controlled by Sandor. That can be written off that he trained Stranger, but a warg could be an explanation as well.

2. After the Twins, Sandor harshly tells Arya that her mom is dead. Then they spend a few days barely talking. One night Arya has the wolf dream and wakes up to realize her mom is dead. That very morning, Sandor happens to start a conversation about it in a kind manner. When Arya says she knows Cat is dead, Sandor gives her a long look and then nods. There's the obvious explanation in that Sandor is not the feral animal he's thought to be and it's one of his kind moments. Or he could be a warg and had a dream as a wolf in Nymeria's pack.

I don't exactly buy into my own passing theory on this, just wondering if anyone else ever thought of it.

DP, I only started thinking about this when I realized how much of a northman he looks like. I don't know if he is really a warg, but I see a lot of First Men in him.

Archived