Sandor Alive and well.

Hear Us Roar

Thank you. Thats exactly what I am thinking. But most totally disagreed with me. So glad, you share this view.

No problem. I am by far not the only one who shares this view with you. You should check out the From Pawn to Player Rethinking Sansa threads. Sandor gets discussed a lot in there since he's such a big part of Sansa's story.

one would have to wade through the endless babbling quotes of this myth, that legend, this piece of classical literature, that old movie.....

its too much to wade through....one drowns in it all.

and its usually the same women posting....not worth the effort to find any sandor tidbits unless you want him morphing into rochester or heathcliff, etc etc etc

Agree until the part about fighting in the trial-Sandor is considered a craven and a traitor. He will not be welcomed in KL.

I'd agree with you if we were talking about the start of aGoT, but now we're talking about a re-armed Faith Militant and High Septon who's aware of his power. If the Faith decided to call on Sandor Clegane to champion their cause, I doubt that anyone South of the Neck would dare argue too much, even if Sandor arrived in KL riding Stranger and wearing his famous helm.

• 3 months later...

Nice!

this also open the doors to.. Myrcella?

anyway, I agree on Sandor being alive but definitely not the valonquar.

How about the part of the prophecy which states she will see her children die though? Myrcella is an interesting candidate but doesn't allow for the rest of the prophecy - unless she delivers a blow to Cersei and then is slain by a third party while Cersei is dying or something.

About Sandor, I don't think I ever thought about him being the Gravedigger, this is a great idea. In terms of the valonquar, I think it is too soon for him to go and defend the Faith in the trial, but do like the theory that UnGregor wins the trial for Cersei, only for Sandor to show up much later.

• 3 weeks later...

Well someone just pointed this out to me, what do you think?

"Sandor Clegane is alive and well serving as the gravedigger at the Monetary that Brienne visited. He's described as being massive, bigger than Brienne. He has an obvious recent injury of the same type Sandor had. He's wearing novice garb with his face hidden. "The Hound is dead" but "Sandor is at rest." His horse Stranger is there. The most blatant, the grave digger is fond of a roaming dog.

Also, he is perfectly setup to fulfill Maggy The Frog's prophecy to Cersei that she will die at the hands of the valonquar ("the little brother"). Her champion at her trial will be Ser Robert Strong, aka Zombie Gregore Clegane. The Seven's champion can now be... Sandor. If "the little brother" wins, she will be executed."

what do you think?

That woukd be awesome I want Sandor vs Gregor so bad.

Agree until the part about fighting in the trial-Sandor is considered a craven and a traitor. He will not be welcomed in KL.

He will if the High Septon says so. The High Sparrow just threw the Queen in jail, and you think he won't be able to bring his champion into the city? ...

Sandor is the tall monk who was working at the Graveyard in the Quiet Island, when that septon said that the Hound died he meant his personality.

I think he'll be back and fight UnGregor as a lot of people are telling. He has an important part to play, I like the Hound, he's a killer but he's honest and he used to say he enjoys killing. And he was nice to Sansa in his way of course, but I saw he always wanted to protect her, his little bird.

Just a side question....has anyone ever wondered if Sandor could be a warg? There were two things that made me give it a passing thought.

1. Stranger can only seem to be controlled by Sandor. That can be written off that he trained Stranger, but a warg could be an explanation as well.

2. After the Twins, Sandor harshly tells Arya that her mom is dead. Then they spend a few days barely talking. One night Arya has the wolf dream and wakes up to realize her mom is dead. That very morning, Sandor happens to start a conversation about it in a kind manner. When Arya says she knows Cat is dead, Sandor gives her a long look and then nods. There's the obvious explanation in that Sandor is not the feral animal he's thought to be and it's one of his kind moments. Or he could be a warg and had a dream as a wolf in Nymeria's pack.

I don't exactly buy into my own passing theory on this, just wondering if anyone else ever thought of it.

I keep thinking about the hound dog, too. The Hound is on her mind, yes.

The night of her aunt's wedding, she wonders what had become of Sandor, then "she stayed outside for a long time" (like she did when he left that night and put on his cloak). When she comes back inside, she finds the hound dog (after they became fast friends), lays down next to him, and he wakes up and licks her face. The hound tries to protect her. Then she thinks she hears the Hound's voice. Then she dreams about the Hound in bed with her, and the hound is there in bed with her when she wakes up. And thinks of Lady (again).

I'm all for a good literary device, but he's usually bit more subtle than this, so I wonder if there's something more.

I'm in for Sandor killing Cersei, that's ok.

Sansa is going to be found/ betrayed and sent back to KL. Cersei is going to have a direct hand in killing/maining Sansa in a terrible fashion.

Sandor is going to avenge Sansa, and pay Cersei back for what she has done to his brother.

Or....I'm completely wrong, thats ok too.

I'm in for Sandor killing Cersei, that's ok.

Sansa is going to be found/ betrayed and sent back to KL. Cersei is going to have a direct hand in killing/maining Sansa in a terrible fashion.

Sandor is going to avenge Sansa, and pay Cersei back for what she has done to his brother.

Or....I'm completely wrong, thats ok too.

Sansa won't die, and why would Sandor revange Gregor? There was no love between them.

Sandor is more likely to beat UnGregor in the trial who will decides Cersei's destiny.

Sandor is a new man....the Hound is dead.

Yes, but I still don't buy he was going to revange the Mountain.

If he's meant to be the Valonqar, he will have to kill his older brother, and maybe he'll do it in Cersei's trial for combat.

He'll be the champion of the Faith

Yes, but I still don't buy he was going to revange the Mountain.

If he's meant to be the Valonqar, he will have to kill his older brother, and maybe he'll do it in Cersei's trial for combat.

He'll be the champion of the Faith

By killing the undead he puts his brother into the dirt where he belongs. And takes it out on Cersei.

Redemption changes everything about Sandor.

By killing the undead he puts his brother into the dirt where he belongs. And takes it out on Cersei.

Redemption changes everything about Sandor.

Yes, that's why I said he was not going to revenge his older brother, but destroy him, as Gregor (and UnGregor) represents the evil.

I think it's a pretty much certainty (well as far as you can get in these books) that Sandor is the Gravedigger. As stated all the hints point to it. However I'm also fairly sure that that's his story done. GRRM has given us the hints and now he's at peace so leave him be.

In terms of coming back to battle unGregor. FIrst off will the HS even know he's at QI? It's called Quiet Island for a reason and chances are no one would tell him. Secondly would Sandor even want to? He's found peace and harmony at last in that idea of the Faith of the Seven he's not going to want to strap a sword on again and ride off into that world of violence again. Thirdly assuming the HS does know Sandor is there and that Sandor would want to do it would the HS ask him? I doubt it. He's got an entire military order to choose from so why pick him?

Finally I think the way GRRM has written it leads me to believe he's not bring Sandor back. He's given us enough hints to let us draw a conclusion of what happened to him but equally placed him in the most out of the way place in the Seven Kingdoms and I think he plans to keep him there.

Finally I think the way GRRM has written it leads me to believe he's not bring Sandor back. He's given us enough hints to let us draw a conclusion of what happened to him but equally placed him in the most out of the way place in the Seven Kingdoms and I think he plans to keep him there.

If that's so then why is Sansa thinking about the last time they met, wishing he was there, hanging onto his cloak, wondering how he is and what he's thinking, remembering what he told her, remembering what he did for her, thinking about kissing him, hearing his voice, comparing other men to him (almost as tall though not so heavily muscled), dreaming about him, etc. This goes on throughout her POV's for 2 books.

Why a hound dog at the Fingers, that she refers to as a hound, why not just a dog, or even a cat if there's some odd reason Sansa being nice to a pet is important to the story.

Also, is Sandor at peace? If so, why the part about him shoveling the dirt at the knights walking by, prompting the explanation, he's just a novice. Why the part about Stranger not losing his spirit, and the comment that he shares his master's temperament.

Finally, why all the mentions of "The Hound" in all the other POVs. Everyone talking about him. Jaime thinking it doesn't sound like him. And so on.

Why include all of that if he's not in the story anymore.

I think it's a pretty much certainty (well as far as you can get in these books) that Sandor is the Gravedigger. As stated all the hints point to it. However I'm also fairly sure that that's his story done. GRRM has given us the hints and now he's at peace so leave him be.

In terms of coming back to battle unGregor. FIrst off will the HS even know he's at QI? It's called Quiet Island for a reason and chances are no one would tell him. Secondly would Sandor even want to? He's found peace and harmony at last in that idea of the Faith of the Seven he's not going to want to strap a sword on again and ride off into that world of violence again. Thirdly assuming the HS does know Sandor is there and that Sandor would want to do it would the HS ask him? I doubt it. He's got an entire military order to choose from so why pick him?

He found peace, but he now can go out and become a real knight, fight for the weak and helpless, be the Seven's knight, he found peace, he's not the hound anymore, that's for sure, but it doesn't mean he'll have to stay in Quiet Island forever. He's not a septon or anything, I think he's just there to rest and by the mean time he's there he's doing some works for the faith, like doing grave sites.

He freed his spirit, but I believe he'll still fight, but for the good side (kinda difficult to choose a good side, but I bet the good side is not the Lannisters, hahahaha, I mean, Cersei)

Archived