Sandor Alive and well.

Hear Us Roar

Well someone just pointed this out to me, what do you think?

"Sandor Clegane is alive and well serving as the gravedigger at the Monetary that Brienne visited. He's described as being massive, bigger than Brienne. He has an obvious recent injury of the same type Sandor had. He's wearing novice garb with his face hidden. "The Hound is dead" but "Sandor is at rest." His horse Stranger is there. The most blatant, the grave digger is fond of a roaming dog.

Also, he is perfectly setup to fulfill Maggy The Frog's prophecy to Cersei that she will die at the hands of the valonquar ("the little brother"). Her champion at her trial will be Ser Robert Strong, aka Zombie Gregore Clegane. The Seven's champion can now be... Sandor. If "the little brother" wins, she will be executed."

what do you think?

I too think he's the gravedigger, and him killing Cerseis' champion would be bittersweet. He's still technically a member of the Kingsguard, isn't he? Seeing as he wasn't dismissed, like Ser Barristan, and he didn't die.. but Joffrey died. Hmm. Maybe it's not possible. But, he could go disguised, as Ser Robert Strong almost undoubtedly is UnGregor Clegane in disguise. I actually like this idea, him being the valonqar would not be what anyone is expecting.

I though Sandor was dim

I too think he's the gravedigger, and him killing Cerseis' champion would be bittersweet. He's still technically a member of the Kingsguard, isn't he? Seeing as he wasn't dismissed, like Ser Barristan, and he didn't die.. but Joffrey died. Hmm. Maybe it's not possible. But, he could go disguised, as Ser Robert Strong almost undoubtedly is UnGregor Clegane in disguise. I actually like this idea, him being the valonqar would not be what anyone is expecting.

I thought Sandor was dismissed, they even gave a white cloak to someone else.

I had never thought of Sandor as the valonqar though, that's a great theory. Super interesting considering everyone here thinks Jaime will kill her and most readers and Cersei think Tyrion will kill her

what do you think?

... that it is brilliant!

If this holds water it will come as a complete surprise! I never saw other that Jamie or Tyrion as the valonqar, but if it turns out to be Sandor it'll be brilliant! I was really looking forward to a Sandor vs Gregor ever since the Hound's revenge was drawn out - when they both died, I was like 'why, GRRM, why miss the opportunity?'...

... and here's to GRRM :cheers: for once again giving me a better fix than I would have thought!

I agree with Apple Martini that Sandor isn't the valonqar. I think when Sandor learned that Brienne was looking for Sansa, he didn't know that Brienne was looking for her so as to keep her safe, and probably thinks she'll take Sansa to Cersei. He probably followed her so that when she found Sansa, he would stop her, and make sure that Sansa is safe.

Check this post for clues.

If you can't be bothered, under spoiler tag, courtesy of original poster Dragonborn as per link:

1.The Gravedigger

The size of the novice that was digging the grave for brother Clement and his lameness are consistent with the physical description of the hound and the wounds he received.

"On the upper slopes they saw three boys driving sheep, and higher still they passed a lichyard where a brother bigger than Brienne was struggling to dig a grave. From the way he moved, it was plain to see he was lame." (page 523)

When he is adressed, he lowers his head which I interpreted as trying to hide his face, maybe to sure that his scars were not visible beneath his cowl, which would be a dead giveaway to his identity?

"The gravedigger lowered his head. When Dog went to sniff him he dropped his spade and scratched his ear." (page 523) (Also, he has a soft spot for dogs?)

2. Stranger

I don't think anyone could get Stranger into a stall but Sandor. My impression is that he is pretty much unnaproachble to anyone besides Sandor or approved company. Have any of you ever tried to handle over six hundred kilos of uncooperative horse flesh? I have, and it's not fun,

Plus, Stranger is mean. Due to a mixture of his temperament and training as a war horse, he would be likely to both bite and strike anyone who approached him, escpecially if those people were trying to force him into a cinfined space,

3. The Elder Brother

During Brienne's conversation with the Elder Brother about the Hound, he seems to know an awful lot about his life and personality, more so than I would expect from knowing him in his dying hours:

" 'He served, but found no pride in service. He fought, but took no pride in victory. He drank, to drown his pain in a sea of wine. He did not love, nor was he loved himself. It was hate that drove him. Though he commited many sins, he never sought forgiveness. Where other men dreamt of love, or wealth, or glory, this man Sandor Clegane dreamt of slaying his own brother, a sin so terrible it makes me shudder to speak of it. Yet that was the bread that nourished him, the fuel that kept his fires burning.Ignoble as it was, the hope of seeing his brother's blood upon his blade was all this sad and angry creature lived for...and even that was taken from him...'

'You sound as if you pity him,' said Brienne.

'I did. You would have pitied him as well, if you had seen him at the end.' " (Page 530)

The Elder brither then goes on to describe his efforts to save/make him comfortable, and when he does describe the death, he specifically says that 'The hound' died in his arms, not Sandor.

The thing that made me most suspicios of Sandor's death is the Elder brother that Brienne talked to about the Hound has a pretty peculiar idea of death. Before he speaks to her about Sandor, he tells her of his own 'death':

" 'All in all, I was a sad man. When I was not fighting, I was drunk. My life was writ in red, in blood and wine'

'When did it change?' asked Brienne.

'When I died in the Battle of the Trident' " (pg 531)

He then continues to describe his life after death as a kind of 'second life' and that a certain part of his personality was what had perished rather than his physical body, effectively rendering him a changed/new man.

After he has talked at length about about this process, Brienne is uncertain.

" 'I see.' Brienne did not know why he was telling her all of this, or what else she out to say.

'Do you?' He leaned forward, his big hands on his knees. 'If so, give up on this quest of yours, the hound is dead...' " (Page 532)

I think after that entire bit, the most telling is this:

" 'I see.' Brienne did not know why he was telling her all of this, or what else she out to say.

'Do you?' He leaned forward, his big hands on his knees. 'If so, give up on this quest of yours, the hound is dead...' "

Ser Robert Strong vs The Gravedigger is definitely on the cards, but I don't think that it will be at Cersei's trial. I think that Cersei still has a lot of crazy left to play out, so I don't think that she will die just yet. And for Cersei to survive her trial, her champion must kill his opponent, and I think (hope) that Sandor will eventually have his comeuppance on his brother. Therefore Ser Robert will win at Cersei's trial and whoever his opponent representing the Faith (Lancel, I think) will die.

As for the valonqar, I honestly think that it is enough of a 'twist' for it to be Jaime. Cersei spends her whole life hating and fearing one brother - Tyrion - because she thinks that he is fated to kill her, only it is the little brother she loves and is loved by - Jaime - who kills her. Sure it's not a super-tricky psych out surprise, but I do think that it is enough.

What F&B said :agree:

I believe Sandor is the gravedigger and I mostly believe that Ser Robert Strong is UnGregor. I would like to see Sandor defeat Cersei's champion but defeating Ser Robby Strongman means killing Cersei and I do not believe Sandor is the valonqar.

Archived