[Book Spoilers] Tywin Lannister

teemo

Charles Dance conveys more with his silences than most other actors convey with their babbling expositions of ten times the length. This is the craft of acting, a wonder to behold. We see it so seldom in TV dramas that when at last we finally do, it takes our breath away.

Less babble, more acting. Please.

:agree:

In one of the interviews with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, they talked about Jamie's scene with Tywin in Season 1 (where Tywin is skinning the deer) and where so much about their whole relationship is shown just with their eyes and body language. When asked about the acting, NCW commented that he just looked into CD's eyes and reacted to that. It's a wonderful compliment from one actor about another, and for this reason alone, I just hope, HOPE we eventually get that final Tywin / Jamie rift scene almost word for word, where Jamie has returned to KL and Tywin wants hin to marry Margaery, leave the KG and go to Casterly Rock.

What makes Charles Dance more effective then ninety-percent of older actors are his eyes. Haunting.

Funny you mention Charles Dance's eyes.

I sometimes participate on a website where you are shown a screenshot, and then you have to guess what movie the screenshot is from. I watched GOT last year May/June. And then on June 20th, this was one of the screenshots you had to guess:

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/164868

Within a split second I recognized those eyes. :)

I then had to use the wikipages to find from which film that was. Took me under a minute to guess a movie I had never seen before. Just because of Charles Dance's eyes. :)

However "soft" he may be portrayed at the moment, we all know there are plenty of opportunities to redeem himself in the "hard-ass" department in future seasons, if not episodes.

I'm very glad, that Charles Dance is so loved here - he is one of my alltime favorite actors, as I wrote in another thread, and most times, when I mention him to friends, I only get a 'Who?'.

About him portraying a soft side on Tywin: We have a soft side of him in the books, too: the memories of his children and Kevan from his time with Joanna. Since the show cut that - and his interactions with his brother mostly, they have to show his more humane side in another way - and I don't think, they will make him a nice guy, just someone, who is so hooked up in doing his duty (what was always my impression of Tywin), that he forgets to be nice most of the time.

And yay for Charles Dance - I hope, we will have him 'til the end of season 4 at least

Funny you mention Charles Dance's eyes.

I sometimes participate on a website where you are shown a screenshot, and then you have to guess what movie the screenshot is from. I watched GOT last year May/June. And then on June 20th, this was one of the screenshots you had to guess:

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/164868

Within a split second I recognized those eyes. :)

I then had to use the wikipages to find from which film that was. Took me under a minute to guess a movie I had never seen before. Just because of Charles Dance's eyes. :)

Holy shit he was that villain in Last Action Hero! I now have to rewatch that movie

Yep Charles Dance is truly nailing his portrayal of Tywin, he's dominated each of his terribly short scenes and I can't wait till he gets to King's Landing. Watching him interact with Cersei, and particularly Joffrey, is going to be amazing.

I wonder if the TV viewers will be shocked and turn on Tyrion when he kills him, I think that's going to be an amazing scene if it's done right.

Charles Dance is definitely one of the best actors on the show. Every scene with him is excellent, and his presence alone is just unforgettable. He is a true standout in my eyes.

One of my favorite scenes of the entire show so far is when he is skinning the deer and talking to Jamie. I sometimes rewatch just that scene beause it is so well written and awesome. It gives me hope that D&D can add meaningful, great, added scenes when they put their minds to it. The scene on Sunday with him and Arya is another great example of this.

Also, he is definitely badass. I don't think he is "soft" at all.

Well, there's no doubt they're changing Tywin to make him more "charismatic". In the books he's like Stannis to the extent of being incredibly stern and lacking a sense of humour. I don't remember Tywin cracking a joke once in the entire fracking series.

I suppose the ultra-dignified, "George Washingon" type of leader is sufficiently alien to most Americans nowadays that there's no way of avoiding having to change Tywin's personality. Note also that Tywin and Stannis have perfectly class-neutral accents, whereas in the books they surely would have sounded highborn.

He is a good actor, but I think the show makes him look too humane. I don't think book Tywin would give shit about some peasants who are tortured, especially considering the fact, that HE was the one who gave order to ravage the country around Harrenhall. And he would have his own cupbearer (probably some other Lannister, it seems like they are everywhere) but that's just nitpicking, I admit.

People are missing the mark calling him being all "soft" and "too humane".

Last week he was just being practical and smart, he didn't punish his men for doing awful things beyond insulting them for being dumb; that insult was because they were wasting "resources" by not forcing the prisoners into slave labor. This week with Arya he was just being cunning, he knew she was from the North from the start and wanted to get some information he couldn't otherwise.

In all the scenes he was using people to his advantage, which is 100% Tywin from the books. He is not the Mad King, he's smart ruthless and practical. If Robb or Stannis came upon some of their men torturing peasant captives to death with out orders looking for gold and vague information, they would take some heads and or hands from their men. Tywin just said "Freaking morons, they're more useful as slaves put them to work." Yeah, a real softie alright.

P.S. Yeah Charles Dance is stealing every scene he is in, or at least doing so well he is bringing everything and everyone up a peg or two.

I was always a fan of Tywin in the books. I read A Game of Thrones after seeing the series so perhaps my opinion of the character was influenced by Dance's brilliant portrayal.

I thought the scene between him and Arya was superb. Perhaps the best scene of the season so far.

I also chuckled as the guy who Tywin sent off with a flea in his ear used to live across the road from me.

He is a good actor, but I think the show makes him look too humane. I don't think book Tywin would give shit about some peasants who are tortured, especially considering the fact, that HE was the one who gave order to ravage the country around Harrenhall. And he would have his own cupbearer (probably some other Lannister, it seems like they are everywhere) but that's just nitpicking, I admit.

But he DOESN'T care about the peasants being tortured- what he cares is that they need workers, and instead of using them, Gregor & company are just torturing them with no purpose.

I like Dance as Tywin.

That said, book Tywin would have had Arya's tongue torn out for that veiled comment.

I dont like the liberties the writers are taking with the story, if i wanted watered down fantasy i would read JK Rowling.

Yeah, what we're seeing on this show is clearly watered down fantasy.

He is much softer in the HBO series. My husband, who had not read the books, asked if he was going to help Arya because he seemed to be so nice to her in this episode. I was shocked when he asked that!

Remember how Tywin treats Tyrion in SoS and the trial where Tyrion is accused of the purple wedding, then finding you know who in his bed and the truth about Tysha......(don't want to put a spoiler here) I think by the time the story gets to the scene where Tyrion gets his revenge the HBO audience will feel Tywin deserves what he gets. Once he gets to KL I am sure the true Tywin will be revealed. And Charles Dance will do a fabulous job as the true Tywin.

Alas, it seems that HBO has decided that the Tywin role is too minor to nominate CD for a Best Supporting Actor Emmy. I have to say he leaves all their current nominees for dead - I mean, I like Kit Harrington's performance, but no way is he an acting match for Charles Dance! Maybe, if Kit works very hard, in another 40 years or so .....

it's almost disturbing to me that Dance is so good: I like Tywin way too much... somehow joffrey and cersei, both of whom I think are acted out extraordinarily well, are as dispicable in the show as the books... but I just can't hate tywin the way I did in the books, Dance is too freaking charismatic...

Alas, it seems that HBO has decided that the Tywin role is too minor to nominate CD for a Best Supporting Actor Emmy. I have to say he leaves all their current nominees for dead - I mean, I like Kit Harrington's performance, but no way is he an acting match for Charles Dance! Maybe, if Kit works very hard, in another 40 years or so .....

As far as I know, Dance could still nominate himself for best supporting actor. Plus, next season and (hopefully) season 4, I believe he will be a true "supporting character" by HBO standards and they will nominate him.

Archived