The Martells

No i dont. But if it wasnt for Roberts Rebellion, Elia wouldnt be raped and murdered. I think Doran may not necessarily blame the Starks to the same extent as the Lannisters, but i wouldnt be surprised if he harbours some resentment.

Really, Brandon strangled alive, Rickard burned alive, same goes for 200 of their bannermen, Lyanna taken away by the guy that basically dumped Elia cause she wasn't healthy enough for him. I don't think Doran is going why did you have to rebel? Look what happened! Doran himself initially refused to help out in the conflict cause of what Rhaegar did.

siding with robb would never have worked out well long term for dawn anyway because robb crowned himself king of the north and riverlands not the seven kingdoms. So even if he had won making dawn, the north and riverlands independent of the iron throne because dawn is on the wrong side of westeros they would have been reclaimed sooner or later. Aid from the north would have been too far away and they can't fight everyone else alone.

Well I'm actually coming around to the view the Aegon is legit. I was pretty sceptical at first but im coming round. Anyway the martell's will soon join Aegon fully to fight the Lannisters and Tyrells(whom are fighting the greyjoys) and will likely take control of King's Landing holding Tommen and Myrcella as hostages/wards to keep the lannisters in check at Casterly Rock with a peace with the Tyrells. So yeah likely the Martells of Dorne will be the Main power behind King Aegon's throne.

Also don't believe that they will have any resentment towards the Starks when they re-emerge because Robb was fighting their enemies. Also Ned Stark was apparently NOT AT ALL OKAY with what the Lannister's did. He wouldve hated Aerys whats he did to his family but he always resented the Lannisters for rocking up late to help in the rebellion and also the treatment of those in the capital.

I originally thought Arianne's proposed alliance would be marrying herself to Aegon, but I'm now more inclined to think they'll suggest Myrcella. Which will lead to her death when Dany arrives as the slayer of lies and reveals that Aegon is a false dragon and puts him and his queen to death. Cersei has to live to see all three of her children crowned and dead and I can't think of how else Myrcella would be placed in such a position.

• 2 weeks later...

man most ppl are so sure that aegon is fake with martin you just never know ppl. Still i see the martells and starks getting their revenge in the most coldest of ways and it will be bittersweet on both sides. Its kinda already bittersweet for the martells since doran already lost his brother and his son and the starks don't even get me started. Still oberyn as awesome as he was his death was his fault and kinda slowed the plans down, but i do see them jumping on aegon's ship the dude has a driven and tactical lord by his side so i see an alliance and i see the sand snakes doing their jobs. Look at arianne i thought she would mess up the plans but she is getting it now and i see the tyrells falling soon. I would be surprised if the maesters fall too.

I wouldn't say its as done a deal as everyone thinks that Martell will side with Aegon. Though his daughter Arianne could well be not as cautious.

For one, why would he believe it to be Aegon; Ellia's child. Why would your minders (Varys n JC) not have involved you or told you about him all this time?

He hasn't arrived with Daenerys, the true dragon to everyones knowledge, he only has their word that he is in league with Dany and then begs the question of why they have so little contact with Dany. Theres also the risk that without the dragons Doran won't want to commit to a risky venture until the dragons arrive. Winter has just fallen, everything is uncertain and he knows too little about who is behind this new Dragon.

Although the Martells seem like good people who just want a little vengence. There must be a certain degree of ambition. Doran obviously, like Walder Frey, wants his grandchildren to be Kings; why Ellia married. He has no reason to assume that Quentyn was unsuccesful and the way news leaves slavers bay its doubtful that he would be fully aware of events. If he were, then the current rumours are that Dany n Quentyn is dead and her dragons rampent. But if hes not aware of that, then Aegon has essentially prevented Martell getting its due for the Treaty it signed in Braavos. Aegon marrying Dany would equally leave Martell with little to gain other than blood and vengence. Of course I think events will probably transpire that they learn Dany/Q are dead. So Dorane offers Arriane to Aegon since the origional marriage pair are presumed dead.

IMO Tyrions words about bait and better rulers rising makes me think that Aegon is in for a Stannis/Renly style fall. Plus, if Martell has a weakness, it is there desire for vengence, it could very well be that the sandsnakes in KL do something terrible in revenge for their father and Ellia; which ends up poisoning the realm against them. ie they are involved in Tommens death.

Possible threats

*The Others-nothing like an army of snow elves to ruin your day. Winter has already come.

*Baelish/Sansa/Tyrell IMO they are their own faction and Aegon using hasbeens like Randyll Tarly won't actually weaken Tyrell as much as he thinks. Tarly won one insignificant battle during the war of the usurper for all his reputation. Plus Tyrell already has the throne, dispensing with the Lannisters isn't the same as siding for Aegon. If Margery can't marry Aegon because hes already married Arrianne then they will fight.

*Euron-the man has a massive fleet with bases around the Arbor and the Shield Islands. If the spears march then his fleet could well attack the coastal cities like Sunspear just as they did to the North. Hes a natural enemy of Aegon because he wants to marry Dany and any other contender is bad news.

So I think they'll do well for a time with Aegon. But I think that there vengence will be bittersweet and somehow end up damaging them.

With the Tyrells focusing on the Ironborn and the Lannisters still in the riverlands I see the Martells, along with the Golden Company, kicking alot of ass in the future. I think that they'll back up Aegon for the Iron throne but that will backfire when Dany lands.

Everyone is putting the Tyrells and the Martells on opposite sides, but Doran and Oberyn were of the same mind when it came to the future of their house. There is evidence of correspondence between Oberyn and Willas who is heir to the Tyrell seat and thought to be a much more capable leader than his father Mace. I would theorize that maybe the enmity between the Houses will cease once Willas becomes the head of House Tyrell. This would leave the door open to a Willas-Arianne marriage and an Aegon-Margery marriage uniting all of the south and eliminating the Lannisters from the Game of Thrones once and for all. With the exception of Tyrion of course. Who will train Daenerys' dragons. Maybe even ride one. Definitely make the saddles (I think that's a given). And when she comes to Westeros it won't matter what alliances you've made because her dragons will make everyone including the Martells bow, bend, and brake.

If by connection you mean the man who crippled him for life.. But I suppose he might not bear him any ill.

So you think Cersei is just going to hole herself up in the Rock like Theon did at Winterfell?

It was a freak accident and Willas blames himself and doesn't hold Oberyn responsible. They've been pen pals for years supposedly. I think Cercei is going to die. At the Rock or at King's Landing it doesn't matter to me. I think Jaime is going to find out that she's been plotting against him since they were kids and is going to strangle her to death in a fit of rage. A Lannister always pays his debts. OR valonqar is a neutral word in high valyrian and can mean younger brother or sister just like prince in valyrian is prince or princess, and valonqar refers to Arya the "little sister" assassin who uses the strangler to poison Cercei.

I see the Martells as being in a truly precarious situation because I think they will side with Aegon, which will backfire when he ultimately loses his war for the throne against Daenerys. At that point, I don't know what to make of their future. They have been burned by their alliance with the Targaryens for so long that it would take something special to smooth things over.

One possibility I have in mind necessarily requires that Daenerys discovers that Jon is her nephew and that she operate under the assumption that she cannot have children. Perhaps then, in that particular situation, she could offer Jon as a husband to Arianne in order to continue the Targaryen dynasty.

I could be remembering wrong but isn't all this stuff about how it was just an accident and Willas and Oberyn are pen-pals basically from Oberyn? It seems like it could be true, or it could be a bunch of self-serving bull, at this point, for all we know. The Tyrells certainly DO seem to be holding a grudge, from their words about the Martells during the time of the wedding, although I suppose it could have been just Mace (can't really remember).

Doran has waited so long for Dorne's revenge that now anybody who had any part in Elia's, Rhaenys and Aegon's deaths is already dead.

I really hope all those years of patience and reflexion will bring something powerful.

For one, why would he believe it to be Aegon; Ellia's child. Why would your minders (Varys n JC) not have involved you or told you about him all this time?

And with the Sand Snakes in KL, Doran will be careful not to put them in danger and if he teams with Aegon, things gotta stay discret and subtle at least for a while.

I don't really have a lot to add, but would like to ask a question. If the Martells are going to back Aegon as Elia's son why would they want Arianne and Aegon to marry? It seems to me that it would be a stronger political statement to back Aegon as already a Martell through his mother, and reach out to another great house for a marriage alliance.

• 3 weeks later...

The Martells are loyal to House Targaryen, the two familys have inter-married for 100's of years. I have always thought that the Dornish 'order of succession' would come into play in the game of thrones. I see the Martells aligning with the Targaryen with 3 dragons.

Dany benefits the most by Dornish order of succession, I think she might land in Dorne on her return (if ever) to reclaim the throne. The Q's heroic death freeing the dragons will not be the end of the Doran - Dany alliance. Dany, iirc, had already mentioned to Quentyn that not all was lost regarding the Martell plans for Dany.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left

and the basics of ASOIAF is that loyalty depends on the situation on the ground and who to ally with to come out alive and still standing as a force to reckon with once the war is over. and the house martell has been fickle in backing anybody during dorans reign as head of house martell anyone pinning hopes on the power of house martell will be disappointed if doran is still alive.

I originally thought Arianne's proposed alliance would be marrying herself to Aegon, but I'm now more inclined to think they'll suggest Myrcella. Which will lead to her death when Dany arrives as the slayer of lies and reveals that Aegon is a false dragon and puts him and his queen to death. Cersei has to live to see all three of her children crowned and dead and I can't think of how else Myrcella would be placed in such a position.

this. excellent prediction.

Archived