[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

teemo

That. Was. Awesome

I mean yeah, would've liked the chain and more navel stuff but they are on a budget and Ran has said that they at least tried to make the chain so it's no biggy. The only thing that kind of fell flat was the Bronn/Hound scene: No build up and no pay off, it felt out of place and kind of felt likeit was just there to fill up the nudity quota.

But otherwise everything was great.

OMG! So many changes from the novels!! Completely ruined!!

Bronn did NOT have a face off with the Hound in the books.

Stannis did not personally charge the wall.

No freakin' chain? NO FREAKIN' WAY!

Cersei did not have a convo with Pycelle.

Tommen was not supposed to be on the throne with Cersei. He was supposed to be hidden away an another fort!

Cersei and Sansa were supposed to be at a feast! Not just in some little room! GRR!!!

But you do get that the TV show is not the same beast as the books? It's similar, we'll get to the same destination, but the path will be rather different at times. If the changes are upsetting you this much you'll probably explode by season 5 or so?!

Sansa is a worshipper of the Seven and the Old Gods alike... and actully tends to the Faith more, really.

Yes, but a nod to the Old Gods from time to time would be worthwhile, considering that she's going to be spending an awful long time in the Godswood during season 3 (even if her reasons are less than pious, she still needs the Old Gods as a justification to do that).

One thing keeps on niggling at me. Loras was wearing Renly's armour so they stuck with that part, would it have been two hard to simply have maybe just a few people shout "Renly!" or "Its Renly.". Maybe they'll have someone explain it to Tyrion when he wakes up.

This may or may not have been mentioned before, but I'm still a bit annoyed that the show kind of forgot about Lightbringer. Stannis' just swinging a regular sword around. Unsurprisingly that about sums up my problems with the episode.

The biggest, most glaring, error in continuity is the one that has been building a few weeks: Tywin Lannister kicking his heels at Harrenhal until the second half of the eigth episode of the season, and then suddenly appearing outside Kings Landing a two days later (show-time), having linked up with the Tyrell forces on the way. Not the fault of this episode as such, but bad coordination by the story supervisor.

I'm utterly amazed that the attack on Tyrion did take place in full view of hundreds of witnesses. Having Pod taking out the Kingsguard (Was it Mandon Moore? No names were named or faces seen.) in front of all the other soldiers must raise some questions for later.

Stannis never thought of entering King Landing through the man-sized sevage drains, which only are held locked by a little chain. Stannis didn't even think of guarding them, so they couldn't be used as sally ports.

Sandor Clegane was denied his catch-phrase word "bugger" and used "f*ck" repeatedly instead. Why?

Putting Loras in Renly's armour made little sense in the context of the show, and I doubt if any non-reader notices, and even if they do, they hardly understand. In the books, Renly's very distinctive armour first gave grounds to believe that it was Renly himself that had arrived to defeat Stannis, as seen in Sansa's chapter where Ser Dontos tells her that Renly has saved the city. Later this all gives rise to the Renly's Ghost myth, but the best part of the books was just there where Dontos tell Sansa that Renly has come to save the city, and you as reader wonder how that can be, as you as reader clearly saw Renly killed. That little masterpiece of writing in the books couldn't be translated into the show, so I wonder why they bothered with Renly's armour on Loras at all, since it's so meaningless in the context of the show.

I honestly don't see what was so different about this episode from some of the other ones people were complaining about. Most of the things people whined about were still present in this episode. Multiple added scenes, some of which were mostly character building, change in a cannon scene with no song from Sansa, a couple of major changes in the battle, a couple of character x (mainly Stannis) would never do that moments, etc. Kind of feel like that the biggest difference is that GRRM wrote the episode so the changes went from stupid to awesome, when really they were always pretty awesome.

I honestly don't see what was so different about this episode from some of the other ones people were complaining about. Most of the things people whined about were still present in this episode. Multiple added scenes, some of which were mostly character building, change in a cannon scene with no song from Sansa, a couple of major changes in the battle, a couple of character x (mainly Stannis) would never do that moments, etc. Kind of feel like that the biggest difference is that GRRM wrote the episode so the changes went from stupid to awesome, when really they were always pretty awesome.

I was following you all the way up to the bold. Couldn't agree less.

Wow, I must be the only person who had serious problems with this episode:

The Hound's "resignation" - was Joffrey seriously about to cry or was there some another reason he did not have the other KG's "fire" the Hound rather than let him him resign? This is the same king who set the KG on Boros for daring to be late, drunk and a buffoon at a tournament when the season started, but the guy who deserts AND says fuck the king gets to retire. Ok.

No-helmet-wearing-Stannis dodges flaming arrows and scales the walls first? He became a BAMF in one episode. Wow.

Cersei actually contemplated an act that would have hurt Tommen, absent making sure Sansa lost her head first. Better yet, Ilyn, despite supposed orders lets the little dove fly back to her room. I give up.

It was Ser Dontos who was Drunk not Boros. If your going to Nano nitpick then come correct

Anyone can tell me how Bronn teleported to the other side of the BW ? He borrowed magic portal from LF ? Same question goes to Tywin's army...

There were 50 miles of tunnels built by the Targs. Some were made for escape. The same tunnels that lead Tyrion out of the black cells at the ens of ASOS

Putting Loras in Renly's armour made little sense in the context of the show, and I doubt if any non-reader notices, and even if they do, they hardly understand. In the books, Renly's very distinctive armour first gave grounds to believe that it was Renly himself that had arrived to defeat Stannis, as seen in Sansa's chapter where Ser Dontos tells her that Renly has saved the city. Later this all gives rise to the Renly's Ghost myth, but the best part of the books was just there where Dontos tell Sansa that Renly has come to save the city, and you as reader wonder how that can be, as you as reader clearly saw Renly killed. That little masterpiece of writing in the books couldn't be translated into the show, so I wonder why they bothered with Renly's armour on Loras at all, since it's so meaningless in the context of the show.

This is more in the TBD department, IMO. A comment in a subsequent episode that the knights rode through the back lines of Stannis' troops because they appeared to be lead by Renly could make all the difference. That comment may never come, but it still could and it would make sense. We don't have to actually see every detail for it to have happened - being told later is good enough and essential for certain budgetary issues.

If there was anything that characterized the Blackwater episode in my book was that it was jam-packed. They couldn't spare forty seconds for Varys to actually explain why he hates sorcery. I would guess that in GRRM's first draft, he did make that explanation then and there. There was no time to peek in on any other POV. And I think it worked pretty well. So if time was so critical, I can see postponing the explanation of Loras' trick to either the final episode, or early next season (if KL is not really revisited in the finale).

I know its without repercussion but if you don't like this your expectations were too high, I would have liked a chain and other little things but Cersie's little story about the Lion in the Kingswood made up for it a great touch

The only thing that kind of fell flat was the Bronn/Hound scene: No build up and no pay off, it felt out of place and kind of felt likeit was just there to fill up the nudity quota.

to be fair, that was quality nudity.

but the chain would have been really hard to film. i didn't expect to see that.

The "ship" that Stannis rode in on did not heave on the waves. He went up the stairs like it was a two story house.

Cersei called the stags evil, even tho Tommen knows that the stag is his house sigil. A little strange that there werent good stags and bad stags (Stannis).

Archived