A Thread for Small Questions XVIII

mormont

this may be a SPOILER up thru the 4th book,

i understand lineage and bloodlines is what determines rule in westeros, from the beginning of aegons landing to 283AL the targaryens sat the iron throne til the rebellion, which then the baratheons took the kingdom. again taken by conquest, the throne belongs to whoever was victorious, (taken from real world situations) but what i dont understand is that before aegon I targaryen, the continent was never governed by one body and when he managed do get control of six of the seven kindoms, he united them and claimed first ruler of westeros. being that anyone can technically be king by defeating the present ruler of the throne, of course, if the people of westeros siding with whoevers claim to the throne, wins by majority. if that means the largest army would win just by sheer numbers it would make more sense. since that obviously isnt the case, who's claim is truly the correct one? speaking of all remaining targaryens (aegon and daenarys) or the baratheons (gendry and stannis) from what i've read it is possible that orys baratheon (founder of House Baratheon) was the bastard brother of aegon the conqueror, so if that was true and all the heirs of targaryen were dead, then the heir would be next closely related blood, baratheon, but thats probably not right anyway because im sure orys wasnt a legitimized bastard and so wouldnt be considered royal blood. but that isnt the problem in the books (and a complete other issue entirely) . i want to know who is the true rightful king. and by what has occured, cercei's children not being true baratheons, it would be gendry right?

speaking of all remaining targaryens (aegon and daenarys) or the baratheons (gendry and stannis) from what i've read it is possible that orys baratheon (founder of House Baratheon) was the bastard brother of aegon the conqueror, so if that was true and all the heirs of targaryen were dead, then the heir would be next closely related blood, baratheon, but thats probably not right anyway because im sure orys wasnt a legitimized bastard and so wouldnt be considered royal blood.

The Baratheons actually have a more recent, and legitimate, Targaryen ancestor: Aegon V's daughter Rhaella, who was Robert's grandmother.

i want to know who is the true rightful king. and by what has occured, cercei's children not being true baratheons, it would be gendry right?

Well, if you're talking about the Baratheon dynasty, then Stannis would be the rightful king, since he is Robert's heir.

but the oldest son of the ruler at the time would be heir, would it be because gendry is a bastard that he wouldnt take the throne? ive read in situations where the king has no trueborn son only a bastard son, so by special ceremony he would become a legitimized son, for the purpose of claiming the throne

but the oldest son of the ruler at the time would be heir, would it be because gendry is a bastard that he wouldnt take the throne?

Yes. If Gendry were trueborn then he'd be the heir. But since he isn't, Stannis is next in line.

ive read in situations where the king has no trueborn son only a bastard son, so by special ceremony he would become a legitimized son, for the purpose of claiming the throne

Well, that's a bit different. In that case, the bastard is being legitimized so as to place him in the line of succession. That hasn't happened to Gendry, so he can't be considered Robert's heir. And even if he were legitimized, it's unclear if he would be before or after trueborn Baratheons in the succession (you may wish to read this to see George's perspective on the issue of inheritance).

Yes. If Gendry were trueborn then he'd be the heir. But since he isn't, Stannis is next in line.

Well, that's a bit different. In that case, the bastard is being legitimized so as to place him in the line of succession. That hasn't happened to Gendry, so he can't be considered Robert's heir. And even if he were legitimized, it's unclear if he would be before or after trueborn Baratheons in the succession (you may wish to read this to see George's perspective on the issue of inheritance).

Thanks for the link. Nice read and good info. B)

My understanding was that an unlegitimized bastard might make a claim if all other lines of succession had been exhausted. Like if Stannis and Shireen were both dead and there were no other trueborn Baratheons alive, then Gendry might make a claim. However I think it would still come down to whether the other lords would accept him. If they didn't they would just raise an army and take the throne by conquest.

My understanding was that an unlegitimized bastard might make a claim if all other lines of succession had been exhausted. Like if Stannis and Shireen were both dead and there were no other trueborn Baratheons alive, then Gendry might make a claim. However I think it would still come down to whether the other lords would accept him. If they didn't they would just raise an army and take the throne by conquest.

That's pretty much what it always comes down to. Whether or not the other Lords accept you. You gotta have friends if you make a claim to the throne. Just ask Stannis...

Talking to a friend today and neither of us could remember Jon's reaction to learning about the RW. Do we ever see a scene of him hearing that Robb is dead?

We don't get a reaction shot or see him when he learns of it, no. It's like one moment he doesn't know and the next he does. He does learn about Bran and Rickon "dying," but I don't recall any scene where he actually learns about the Red Wedding.

Whats different between this interview and interview that sparked that Alfie Allen thread? They seem like the same interview....

I havent seen the Alfie Allen thread but this is a bit different from the official westeros.org bit

Could somebody tell me the time frame of the books? I mean between AGOT and AFFC how many years have past? How old are characters, such as Bran and Arya, in AFFC?

About two years have passed I think-Sansa was eleven in AGoT and thirteen at the end of AFfC.

Could somebody tell me the time frame of the books? I mean between AGOT and AFFC how many years have past? How old are characters, such as Bran and Arya, in AFFC?

Check out couple of the previous pages,3-3 and a half years.

Where is the bastard of the Hornwood Larence Snow? He was a ward at Deepwood Motte but there's no mention of him when Stannis took that castle?

His wiki page says Asha had him as a captive at Deepwood and the appendix confirms in in Storm. "LARENCE SNOW, a bastard son of Lord Hornwood, and ward of Galbart Glover, thirteen, a captive of Asha Greyjoy at Deepwood Motte."

Then the Feast appendix says "—Galbart’s ward, LARENCE SNOW, natural son of {Lord Halys Hornwood}, a boy of thirteen,"

With nothing in Dance so he's still around just offpage.

Heres a random question..

whatever happened to the FM that tried to kill Dany? That scorpian killed by Barristan was thought to be a FM assasination attempt, right?

Did his attempt fail, so the FM packed up and went back to his temple? Do they consider a target surviving mean they earned a life or something like Ja'gen's wierd logic?

Archived