A Thread for Small Questions XVIII

mormont

3 small/somewhat related questions:

3. Hodor takes a rusty iron longsword from the crypts of winterfell, but when Theon goes down there with Lady Dustin, it seems like more than one longsword is missing. There's one from someone unnamed but then Lord Rickard and Brandon's swords are missing as well... is there any speculation about this?

Osha took Eddard's. Brandon took Brandon's. Meera took Rickard's. In the next book we find out Hodor has an old sword. When Theon and Lady Dustin go into the crypts he notices a sword gone from one of the older kings that he doesnt recognize. All accounted for I wonder if Hodor's appeared magically in the next book because GRRM realized someone had to hack at wights at some point to cover the rest of the band to the cave.

i had a thought that Syrio Forel is the FM that had once called himself Jaqen H'ghar. Does this seem even possible? I feel like his training is more than a memory for arya but i find it odd he was never introduced again. Are we supposed to believe he was killed by Meryn?

i had a thought that Syrio Forel is the FM that had once called himself Jaqen H'ghar. Does this seem even possible? I feel like his training is more than a memory for arya but i find it odd he was never introduced again. Are we supposed to believe he was killed by Meryn?

I seriously doubt he is Jaqen. Why would he be?

He was a good teacher for Arya for her future.

I'd love to see him again but doubt he survived

Marie

I seriously doubt he is Jaqen. Why would he be?

He was a good teacher for Arya for her future.

I'd love to see him again but doubt he survived

Marie

:agree:

Syrio was just an awesome character and the cast him in HBO very well. So easily lovable, but there is no hint that he survived in anyway other then us "not seeing him" die. Also hasn't GRRM acknowledged that syrio is dead.

<snip>

A followup question: We only have Aurane Waters story about the fate of Loras Tyrell. Could this whole thing be a Tyrell fakeout - with Loras squirreled away safely at Dragonstone, or perhaps at Driftmark or somewhere else?

Why I wonder about this: After Cersei confesses one of the Septas at Baelor's Sept starts to say something about Margaery's brother Ser Loras regarding her trial but then is hushed by another septa. This makes me wonder why that was in there - it suggests that Ser Loras is capable of being his sister's champion.

I wouldnt put it past the sneaky part of the Tyrells - Lady Olenna and Margaery (not Mace) to fake something like this but cant think why they would before Cersei made her accusations. I guess Taena might have sold Cersei out to Margaery.

Marie

There was a nice thread wondering if Loras not even injured.

Storm's End is supposed to be subject to nasty storms - but its placement seems odd for that - in a bay shielded by a big island. Anyone explain that?

I think the bay is very large and it´s called Shipbreaker Bay, so Tarth is too far away to shield it.

@rmholt, if I measured correctly Tarth is almost twice as far away from Westeros as the brittish isle is from the european continent and the channel is very dangerous to sail during storms.

Any idea if Lord Balon started gathering his longships for war even before he heard that Theon had been released? A lot of them had already gathered by the time Theon got to Pyke; so many that he wondered if his father had anticipated his mission.

1) Do we know the color associations (if any) of the Seven?

2) Who were the kings in the Riverlands?

3) Is there any known de dicto prohibition on human sacrifice in the Faith?

4) Do we know of any blood sacrifice practices involving non-human peoples (giants, COTF) as sacrifices?

2) Who were the kings in the Riverlands?

3) Is there any known de dicto prohibition on human sacrifice in the Faith?

4) Do we know of any blood sacrifice practices involving non-human peoples (giants, COTF) as sacrifices?

1) Not as far as I know or have found, only personas centering around specific virtues (like praying to the Warrior before going into battle) but no colors.

2) When there were Seven Kingdoms, the Riverlands and the Iron Islands were one kingdom, not separate. It was known as the Kingdom of Isle and Rivers. So the kings that ruled over the Riverlands were actually the Kings of the Iron Islands, beginning with the Grey King. Here's the list

3) As far as I know, the only two acts that the Faith curse are incest and kinslaying.

4) And I would say yes to the COTF, and I don't know about giants, but I highly doubt it. Since we know that blood sacrifice was involved in the worship of the Old Gods, and that the First Men adopted that worship from the COTF, we can infer that they did this practice as well. Especially keeping in mind potential things that happen in ADwD regarding Bran's POV.

There's also some a very interesting theory by tze, stating that the worship of the Drowned God could have been based from the worship of the Old Gods. The only written history we have was recorded through the Andal perspective. So maybe in their attempt to understand a foreign religion with many faceless deities, they skewed the original facts and based it in their own understandings.

The original Iron Islanders (prior to Andal Invasion) could actually have just been worshiping one aspect of the Old Gods. People who follow the Old Gods would slit the throat of the sacrifice in front of the heart tree. The priests of the Drowned God slit the throat of the sacrifice in the sea. And how some stories that have no affiliation with the Seven conveniently have details involving the number seven. Such as Storm's End being the 7th version of the castle that Durran built. or that the Grey King reigned a thousand years and seven.

2) When there were Seven Kingdoms, the Riverlands and the Iron Islands were one kingdom, not separate. It was known as the Kingdom of Isle and Rivers. So the kings that ruled over the Riverlands were actually the Kings of the Iron Islands, beginning with the Grey King. Here's a link to the list

Actually, the Riverlands were ruled by kings at one point, before the Ironborn conquered them. House Mudd and House Fisher are, I believe, the only named dynasties that ruled the Riverlands, but there were probably others as well.

Actually, the Riverlands were ruled by kings at one point, before the Ironborn conquered them. House Mudd and House Fisher are, I believe, the only named dynasties that ruled the Riverlands, but there were probably others as well.

It seems also that at one point the Storm Kings ruled over the Riverlands as well, apparently King Arrec lost them to the ironborn. And thank you for the assistance Dragonfish! I had no clue about House Mudd or Fisher. Interesting stuff.

While we have not been told any one to one correspondance to the seven aspects of their god, there is association with the rainbow (e.g. prism in High Septon's crown), which is composed of seven colors - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet.

While we have not been told any one to one correspondance to the seven aspects of their god, there is association with the rainbow (e.g. prism in High Septon's crown), which is composed of seven colors - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet.

The Maiden is associated with white-on maiden's day, virgins dress in white.

Archived