Redemption for Theon (TWOW Spoilers)

IceGal

The Theon chapter in ADWD where he begins to remember who he is and regrets the fact that he was not by Robb's side at the RW always makes me soo sad.

Yeah Theon did some horrible things, but he has suffered enough for it.

I was thinking on how he could redeem himself and an answer just popped out at me - why, by killing a few Freys of course! Being Stannis' captive just outside winterfell puts him in a situation where he just may run into the attacking Frey army. (Of course there is the problem of how he manages to free himself first)

But seriously, how badass would it be if Theon Turncloak is the one who exacts some long overdue revenge for the Starks?

*Sigh* Probably too romanticized for GRRM, but one can always hope.

*Sigh* Probably too romanticized for GRRM, but one can always hope.

Why, many often argue that the non-descriptive hooded man Theon meets in the chapter A Ghost of Winterfell, to be his own split personality, a more righteous version.

Although I do not find the above theory convincing, I do believe that redemption may be in order for Theon Greyjoy. Some evidence may be found in the Theon chapters towards the end of A Dance with Dragons. More specifically:

Robb who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy's loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him.

Later in the book we also find him praying to the Old Gods, to the weir wood in the godswood of Winterfell.

Theon's arc is done IMO. I think he will die as a blood sacrifice to the Weirwood (Bran) and something will happen because of it, but he will die. His redemption was that he saved 'Arya' and started the downfall of House Bolton because of it.

You know what I think will happen, perfect GRRM twist and final arc for Theon, I don't see him being sacrificed at the tree, I see the tree talking to Stannis, Asha and Theon, probably telling them that Rickon lives. Instead of dying at the tree, I think as the Freys charge after Stannis onto the lake, that Theon will some how be instrumental in cracking the ice, and as the Freys sink to their death around him, Theon returns to the water and dies a Kraken and avenges house Stark, thinking as he inhales the water, "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."

That's how I'd like to see it. Man, almost brings a tear to my eye.

I think as the Freys charge after Stannis onto the lake, that Theon will some how be instrumental in cracking the ice, and as the Freys sink to their death around him, Theon returns to the water and dies a Kraken and avenges house Stark, thinking as he inhales the water, "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."

Whoa! That actually sounds good! It would be an epic ending to his arc if that actually happens :)

You know what I think will happen, perfect GRRM twist and final arc for Theon, I don't see him being sacrificed at the tree, I see the tree talking to Stannis, Asha and Theon, probably telling them that Rickon lives. Instead of dying at the tree, I think as the Freys charge after Stannis onto the lake, that Theon will some how be instrumental in cracking the ice, and as the Freys sink to their death around him, Theon returns to the water and dies a Kraken and avenges house Stark, thinking as he inhales the water, "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."

And if it plays out like this and Stannis drowns as well it would explain why Ramsay wants his Reek back and has Stannis sword.

Kind of off-topic perhaps, but does anyone think the fact that a previous King in the North was named Theon Stark? I'm not suggesting Theon will become King in the North or anything ridiculous like it but I think his redemptive arc will go a little further than just being burned at a tree. That poor man has been through too much to be killed off by Stannis.

Outstanding!

Seconded. That would be great! It would also mean a further conversion for Stannis - becoming more of a northerner. I'm liking this idea more and more.

I think Theon is the EPITOME of "What is dead may never die..." I think he's destined to be King of the Iron Isles. Rickon's existence will free him from Stannis, Asha will bring him home, reconstitute the kingsmoot with Damphair's help and, voila, King Theon is born.

Thanks ya'll, now someone tell GRRM! Theon's character has hit on so many emotional strings, the way he's evolved / devolved has been masterfully written by George, that's why I hope he has something in store for him more than just cold justice by Stannis.

Why all the sympathy for Theon? Oh I agree he is tortured and punished and i find his "Reek" chapters almost unreadable cruel. But hey he brought about the destruction of Winterfell. Robb trusted him, sent him back to his ancestral homeland and how does Theon repay that trust? By taking Robbs home, and claiming to have murdered his brothers. I don't see how saving Jenye Poole makes up for this. He knows it's not Arya, so while its a nice and noble gesture I don't think it wipes away all the damage he has done to House Stark, yes it weakens Boltons position but still with everything he's done...regardless of what his family words may be you do in fact reap what you sow, so he's got a long ways to go for redemption.

Theon will never be a king, or in any kind of leadership position again. No one will follow someone who looks like he does. All he has to offer the story at this point is his death.

So I really do think Theon will die at a (not necessarily the one Stannis wants though) Heart Tree. There was a line in ADWD where Theon thinks about his 'lifes blood feeding the heart tree' in Winterfell and he thinks 'what would be so wrong with that?' I think that is foreshadowing, definitely.

I also believe that his life's bood will somehow factor into Jon's resurrection. I have no idea how, but I'm guessing by some aspect of magic we haven't seen yet. Some part of Theon will then linger on in Jon (not the douchey part we can hope). If Jon becomes a greyer, fiercer character when he comes back like I expect, then 'What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger' will have literally taken place with Theon/Jon.

A great idea baxter! If he indeed avenges House Stark and dies in the attempt this would be a perfect way to go about doing it. I was hoping to Theon to be used to overturn the Kingsmoot of Iron Islands. Wasn't there some such mention in one of the Asha chapters?

Why all the sympathy for Theon? Oh I agree he is tortured and punished and i find his "Reek" chapters almost unreadable cruel. But hey he brought about the destruction of Winterfell. Robb trusted him, sent him back to his ancestral homeland and how does Theon repay that trust? By taking Robbs home, and claiming to have murdered his brothers. I don't see how saving Jenye Poole makes up for this. He knows it's not Arya, so while its a nice and noble gesture I don't think it wipes away all the damage he has done to House Stark, yes it weakens Boltons position but still with everything he's done...regardless of what his family words may be you do in fact reap what you sow, so he's got a long ways to go for redemption.

Happy someone has the same view as me. I don't understand all the Theon love!

I seriously doubt that Theon will be king of the Iron Islands, they follow the strong, and Theon's physical and mental state is too permanently damaged to ever be recognised as a leader be the ironborn. I do think Stannis or someone else will find a use for him though beyond just killing him.

I also believe that his life's bood will somehow factor into Jon's resurrection. I have no idea how, but I'm guessing by some aspect of magic we haven't seen yet. Some part of Theon will then linger on in Jon (not the douchey part we can hope). If Jon becomes a greyer, fiercer character when he comes back like I expect, then 'What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger' will have literally taken place with Theon/Jon.

Good point... "Kill the boy, let the man live". The boy has been killed, now the man must raise.

Fire magic needs king's blood to work and Theon (like it or not) has king's blood in his veins (Balon self-proclaimed king two times)... However I still can't imagine how Mel will put her hands on Theon so soon. Maybe Jon will remain dead for the intire next book, buried in an ice cell at the Wall.

Who knows...

And if it plays out like this and Stannis drowns as well it would explain why Ramsay wants his Reek back and has Stannis sword.

I would love to see this man of fire go down in water. That would be absolutely fantastic!!

Archived