Confirmed Season 3 Characters: Who do you want to play them?

Ser Holt Salinas

I dont get why people think Brenden Gleeson would make a good Black Fish, the Black Fish isn't Fat, at least from what i can remember.

Brenden Gleeson isn't Fat, pudgy perhaps but not Fat. Besides, I don't think that matters in the grand scheme of things. Blackfish's weight isn't essential to his character. But, again, Gleeson wouldn't sign on for such a small part. I can't imagine Blackfish being in more than a handful of scenes. He'll be difficult to cast, for on one hand he's going to be the uncle of a woman in her late 40s (so he'll be old) but he's supposed to be a warrior, still, so it'll be tough to find someone who's convincing as Catelyn's uncle and also as a man who can still fight in battle.

Brenden Gleeson isn't Fat, pudgy perhaps but not Fat. Besides, I don't think that matters in the grand scheme of things. Blackfish's weight isn't essential to his character. But, again, Gleeson wouldn't sign on for such a small part. I can't imagine Blackfish being in more than a handful of scenes. He'll be difficult to cast, for on one hand he's going to be the uncle of a woman in her late 40s (so he'll be old) but he's supposed to be a warrior, still, so it'll be tough to find someone who's convincing as Catelyn's uncle and also as a man who can still fight in battle.

i believe it says "long and lean" when black fish is described, and yes Gleeson is quite fat, past pudgy for sure.

i believe it says "long and lean" when black fish is described, and yes Gleeson is quite fat, past pudgy for sure.

Let's just agree that we have different ideas about what constitutes "fat," for if I spend any more time arguing about Brendan Gleeson's weight with someone on the internet it'll be hard for me to look myself in the mirror with respect. I do think that it doesn't particularly matter if Blackfish is long and lean or short and stocky, for it's his cunning and military prowess that define his character, not his body type. No one ever refers to him as "Old Long and Lean Blackfish," and he never gets in or out of troublesome situations because of his long or leanness. It's like saying they could only cast a bald actor to play Syrio because he's bald in the books. Details like that are trivial. But the whole point is moot because Gleeson would never get cast in that role, and there are probably hundreds of other good choices out there. I'll keep thinking on that...

ON EDIT: Actually, I guess you could say him being "long and lean" is helpful when swimming out of Riverrun to escape. A feat less likely for a chunkier fellow.

2ND EDIT:

Actually, this is a great idea...

Brynden Tully: John Lynch

Good call. I second that.

while I agree with the masses that Maggie Smith would be a badass Queen of Thorns, it just isn't going to happen. She apparently is going to take five from doing television when she is finished with Downton Abbey so I guess that means she is a no. ALSO if someone high-profile like Maggie Smith got cast in that role, HBO would play it up from a minor to a major character, and then these message boards would be filled with complaints about her taking precious time from other characters

It's not Tv it's HBO.

Archived