Confirmed Season 3 Characters: Who do you want to play them?

Ser Holt Salinas

There is already a couple of posts about the same topic, but there has not been a debate about who should play the Season 3 characters. David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will surely check on this page to see fan suggestions about who should portray upcoming characters, so let us lend a hand to them.

This are the confirmed characters of Season 3 for now. I'll put my suggestions first.

-Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings. MADS MIKKELSEN/ THOMAS KRETSCHMANN

Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior. RICHARD ARMITAGE/ JARED LETO

Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights. ASA BUTTERFIELD

Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family. MICHAEL FASSBENDER/ TOM HIDDLESTON/ DAMIAN LEWIS/ RICHARD ROXBURGH

Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle. LIAM NEESON/ VINCENT REGAN/ JASON ISAACS/ JEREMY IRONS

Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife. HELEN MCCRORY

Shireen: Stannis’ daughter. I HAVE NO IDEA

Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother. JUDI DENCH

Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.DAVID WENHAM/ TONY CURRAN

Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre. BILL NIGHY

Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider. RON PERLMAN/ BRENDAN GLEESON

Daario - Idris Elba would be so epic.

Mance- Either Jason Isaacs or Dominic West (ok i'm sorry i love the wire)

Edmure- Damien Lewis, who already looks like Lady Catelyn

Blackfish- Gary Oldman

Thoros- was thinking Ralph Fiennes ? def would add some creepiness to the Lord of Light

are they going to recast Beric?

Tormund- I think has to be Brendan Gleeson. him sopping grease down his face and yelling about killing giants would be perfect.

The Queen of Thornes - Was thinking a heavily made up Helen Bonham Carter, she could do the coniving very convincingly.

Mance Rayder- Ioan Gruffudd

Edmure Tully- James Callis; Tobias Menzies

Brynden Tully (Blackfish)- David Warner

Beric Dondarrion- Philip Glenister

Thoros of Myr- Christopher Heyerdahl

Queen of Thorns- Imelda Staunton

Mance Rayder: Gudmundur Thorvaldsson. Has the looks, acting chops and auditioned for the role a while back.

Daario Naharis: Cas Anvar. He auditioned for the role. Haven't seen any of his acting. Might be a bit old, but he might pull of Daario's look :P.

Edmure Tully: Tony Curran or Kevin McKidd. Curran auditioned for season 1 or 2 (can't remember which one) and has been on two other HBO shows, so they might have him on a list. He has the acting chops and the looks, but as he's just 3 years younger than the actress playing Catelyn, I think they're going to go for a younger actor. McKidd has the looks and acting chops, but as Curran he might be too old.

Beric Dondarrion: Sean Harris. This guy is relatively unknown, but an amazing character actor. He steals pretty much any scene in whatever movie/show he stars in. He played a

in "Harry Brown" (here), and is one of the fan favorites in "The Borgias". Harris enjoys playing "outcasts" or people outside the society, so this would be perfect for him. Nina Gold (GoT casting director) has cast him in 5 other projects throughout the years, so there's definitely a possibility here.

Tormund Giantsbane: Kristofer Hivju or Gordon Kennedy. Hivju auditioned for a role earlier this month, and with that beard and look I think he'll be Tormund. Kennedy has the acting chops and looks.

Vargo Hoat: Guy Henry. He's been in HBO's "Rome", he has the acting chops and he definitely has the Hoat look.

Daario - Idris Elba would be so epic.

Mance- Either Jason Isaacs or Dominic West (ok i'm sorry i love the wire)

Edmure- Damien Lewis, who already looks like Lady Catelyn

Blackfish- Gary Oldman

Thoros- was thinking Ralph Fiennes ? def would add some creepiness to the Lord of Light

are they going to recast Beric?

Tormund- I think has to be Brendan Gleeson. him sopping grease down his face and yelling about killing giants would be perfect.

The Queen of Thornes - Was thinking a heavily made up Helen Bonham Carter, she could do the coniving very convincingly.

Pretty awesome lineup you got there, especially for Daario. I'd go with Henry Ian Cusick for Mance, but solid picks. Tormund - Gleeson would be perfect. And while Gary Oldman can do just about anything, I think he'd be a better fit for Vargo Hoat. Bonham Carter could work, or Dench would kill.

Yeah what's up with Beric Dondarion being on the list he was already in the first season?

Mance Rayder: Gudmundur Thorvaldsson. Has the looks, acting chops and auditioned for the role a while back.

Daario Naharis: Cas Anvar. He auditioned for the role. Haven't seen any of his acting. Might be a bit old, but he might pull of Daario's look :P.

Edmure Tully: Tony Curran or Kevin McKidd. Curran auditioned for season 1 or 2 (can't remember which one) and has been on two other HBO shows, so they might have him on a list. He has the acting chops and the looks, but as he's just 3 years younger than the actress playing Catelyn, I think they're going to go for a younger actor. McKidd has the looks and acting chops, but as Curran he might be too old.

Beric Dondarrion: Sean Harris. This guy is relatively unknown, but an amazing character actor. He steals pretty much any scene in whatever movie/show he stars in. He played a

in "Harry Brown" (here), and is one of the fan favorites in "The Borgias". Harris enjoys playing "outcasts" or people outside the society, so this would be perfect for him. Nina Gold (GoT casting director) has cast him in 5 other projects throughout the years, so there's definitely a possibility here.

Tormund Giantsbane: Kristofer Hivju or Gordon Kennedy. Hivju auditioned for a role earlier this month, and with that beard and look I think he'll be Tormund. Kennedy has the acting chops and looks.

Vargo Hoat: Guy Henry. He's been in HBO's "Rome", he has the acting chops and he definitely has the Hoat look.

Really good choices. I agree that Sean Harris needs to be a part of this show in some way. Great actor. I would love to see McKidd in the show. He might be too expensive now.

Cas Anvar i think would make a good Daario, here is a clip of him as the voice of Altiar in Assassins Creed. It's the only thing i know him from HAR HAR HAR.

Your choices for Edmure are perfect and exactly who i was thinking of, either one of those guys would also make a great Baeric.

Also anyone but Maggie Smith as Olenna (Queen of Thornes) Redwyne, would be a crime of biblical proportions and would bring about the apocalypse!.

Someone mentioned Christopher Heyerdahl earlier, he would be amazing in any number of parts on Thrones.

while I agree with the masses that Maggie Smith would be a badass Queen of Thorns, it just isn't going to happen. She apparently is going to take five from doing television when she is finished with Downton Abbey so I guess that means she is a no. ALSO if someone high-profile like Maggie Smith got cast in that role, HBO would play it up from a minor to a major character, and then these message boards would be filled with complaints about her taking precious time from other characters

I like what they've done with mostly lower-profile actors; even Sean Bean is not THAT big of a name, in my opinion. I hope they stick to that when casting these parts. To me, someone like Patrick Stewart or Maggie Smith or Gary Oldman would be really distracting. I still remember when Lucy Lawless (not even THAT big a name) seemed to swallow Battlestar Galactica. I hope they focus on newer actors or people who've been in a few tv shows/movies, but aren't huge stars, like Lena Heady and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

In my mind's eye I always pictured the Queen of Thornes as Judi Dench, so there you go :)

Also, Ewan McGregor for Edmure Tully, please :P

(NOTE - This is just wishful thinking, I'm perfectly aware that by cast such high-praised actors they would blow up their budget...)

I want Nick Moran in the show... either Mance, Edmure or Vargo.

I want Mads Mikkelsen, Karl Urban, Jennifer Lawrence, Brendan Gleeson (but this one I know wont happen)...

Archived