[Spoilers] The Three Dragon Heads?

I have two theories as to whom the dragon has 3 heads refers to. The first theory is that other than Dany and Jon, Varys is the third Dragon

most crackpots think Varys is a Blackfyre and that hes been plotting to put Blackfyre Aegon on the throne all along . He hides his Targaryen

heritage by shaving his head. I think hes a Targaryen most likely a prince either brother to Aeryss or his son, he was made a eunuch to allow

Rhaegar claim the throne as he was seen by Aerys as a more worthy king. Aerys could of sent him into exile initially and called for his return at a later stage. Varys having become talented in every way Rhaegar was not drawing parrells between Sansas story and Aryas . When Varys tells a dying Kevan Lannister that Aegon has returned to claim his throne , it is possible he was refering to himself. Its very unlikely Varys would participate in a plot to put a blackfyre on the throne he has very little regard for sentimental actions and before anyone suggests that perhaps he believes Aegon is real dont. If Aegon is a blackfyre then Varys would of found out about it.

My second theory is very straight forward. In the WOW Danys journey to westeros could move at a very quick pace in this book and she travels to the wall feeling the need to do what is right over conquering Westeros there Jons claim has been established and they become lovers .At that point the third Dragon is the child Dany is pregnant with.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the Dany Jon theory Dany will ride Drogon and Jon the white Viseron the green is a harder choice. I have three candidates.for different reasons.

Tyrion. because of grrm's focus on him as a character. I actually am not sure it will be Tyrion, I like him both on the show and in the books, but

I think he is the 'true' Lannister, unless Tywin's wife had an ongoing affair...

Cersei and Jaime are Targaryens. Cercei got the crazy half and her twin Jaime the more sane. It is reinterated in the book about the coin toss for crazy in the Targaryen line.. becaue of incest. Cersei and Jaime have just been following family tradition. I am not sure how Jaime would ride with one hand but maybe he could be the third rider, he also has green eyes.

Some have said it would be Bran. I don't think it could be he is gonna grow into the tree.

Arya is one of my favorites but I think she has a different path in the plot and it doesn't involve dragons.

I belong to the camp that Aegon is just a bit player and grrm wouldn't have left him out of the previous books if he were going to play in the end, he is the mummers dragon. I thnk the dragonriders will all be one of the major pov chars we all know and love or hate.that have been around from the beginning.

I

Dany already rides Drogon (kinda).

Tyrion, with his study of dragons, will tame the wilder, more aggressive Rhaegal.

Victarion will, for saving her city and giving her a fleet, take Viserion.

However, Viserion, being the most level-headed of the dragons, will prove the best for Bran to warg into. He will throw Victarion and move to save Jon, who manages to return only after the Wall has been destroyed and magic nullified, allowing him to finally re-enter his body, but also only after the Wall has been abandoned due to its (at least partial) collapse, leaving him standing alone to hopelessly fight off waves of others and wights.

To note, I do not believe Jon will join Dany, at least not permanently. I think she'll prove to be one of the primary antagonists in the series, and a doomed one at that, so I'm not counting on there being three heads to the dragon by the end.

Dany for Drogon due to her already riding him and his namesake to Drogo. Jon for Rhaegal due to his father being Rhaegar. Tyrion for Viserion. I don't know whether Tyrion's destiny is to be the Hand of Jon and Dany, lord of Casterly Rock, or dead fighting the Others due to him probably riding Viserion and Viserys dieing.

Dany on Drogon (obvious), Jon on Rhaegal (Rhaegar is his father), Tyrion of Viserion (Tyrion ending up being a better brother to Dany than Viserys ever was).

It seems obvious that whoever rides Drogon will be the leader of the three heads with him being the biggest of the lot. Which is why I don't want Dany to ride him although she's well on her way to do so. Dany has so far been a terrible ruler in Meereen letting herself be dictated how best to appease the Noble slaver families when she should have clearly taken a stronger hand against them. I have one little hope which is that for one she's the mother of the dragons and every time Drogon let's her ride him she is in life threatening danger so it might be a child saving his mother rather than a dragon recognizing his rider. But I don't really believe it myself.

In ANY case there's no way Tyrion gets to be a dragon rider. He can barely ride a horse let alone a dragon. A dwarf on a dragons back looks ridiculous. And even if we know that Aerys proceeded to some improprieties during Tywin and his wife's bedding ceremony it doesn't mean he outright raped her. And even then it still wouldn't mean Tyrion is a Targ. I like Tyrion as much as the next guy but the fact that we've seen him from the beginning doesn't mean he HAS to be a Targ. Jon has several not-that-well hidden hints that he's R+L=J while we've at most two not really tangible hints of Tyrion being one. So yeah Tyrion being a Targ is graspig at shadows IMHO.

I know everyone of these threads always has a 50 gallon jerry can of wishful thinking, but I for one think that people are deluding themselves to believe the impossible possible.

Everyone knows that during the conquest there were three dragons with a rider a piece. The riders were three Valyrian nobles whose family moved to dragonstone a century prior to the doom of valyria. The warning that spurred their house to move west of the freehold to a rock in the narrow sea was likely Signs and Portents. In book 4 Rodrik Harlaw was nose deep in a book by Archmaester Marwyn claiming he had found three pages of the lost manuscript. I personally am 95% positive that those three pages along with the rest of the book are highly important. At this very moment Marwyn is bound for Slavers Bay with to advise dany... and what's more he's actually trustworthy. In one of Tyrion's chapters he was puzzled that the Targs settled dragonstone 100 years prior to the conquest and waited out for years before finally invading. There could be serveral reasons for this. Perhaps they were waiting for the dragons to mature. Maybe they were waiting for stragglers that escaped the doom to show up. Personally I believe they waited because they were told to wait. The book or their prophet likely told them when x happens do y. When they came into power they built kings landing and made it their seat of power. Why would they do this when Oldtown Lannisport or a host of other cities would have made fine royal seats? Yet again it could be several reasons. It may be that they wanted a seat that wouldn't be imposing on, favoring, or displacing a great house from one of the kingdoms. Or perhaps they wished to show their power by raising a great city where at most there was a few thatched roof hovels. Or yet again I believe they were told in prophecy build a damned city in the place where you land first on the continent proper. Then you've got the whole incest thing. Why practice incest...well the books do speak of keeping the bloodlines pure, but why do the bloodlines for the royal family need to be pure? I'm fairly certain it has to do with the bond they have with dragons. It doesn't take a maester to tell you it can lead to mental problems, and it doesn't take a master diplomat to tell you the easiest way to gain loyalty to marry into every family so the whole kingdoms ruled by relatives. At the same time second and third sons would sometimes be married out to other great houses of the seven kingdoms. Amongst the houses that the dragons married into were Martell, Plumm, Baratheon, and possibly some others. I believe they did this merely to try and go a middle road between diplomacy and keeping bloodlines as pure as possible. Along with that the Velaryons of Driftmark are of Valyrian blood as well and were the steward/vassal house to the targs. Yet despite all this you never hear of a dragon being granted ridden or raised by any family in westeros except the targs. Along with that there isn't ever any substantial mention of dragons being used militarily by anyone except the freeholders. The harpies in Ghis fought them and lost. The Rhoynar fought them and lost and took their broke ass to carve a country outta sand. The Andals decided to pussy out and pick a fight with the first men rather than face the dragons. The Braavosi decided to hide in a swamp rather than roast in the mine or in a slave riot fighting dragonlords and dragons. So that pretty much knocks out natives of the eastern continent wholesale along with most of the noble families in westeros.

So what it comes down to is that the targs are the last of the dragonlords and through instinctual blood magic dany hatched one. She has gone for a ride on drogon and he kinda listens to her like a rebellious teenager... which is odd because she herself is a rebellious teenager, but I digress. There's head number 1.

Number 2&3? That's the trickier part.

I can say with 90% certainty that Tyrion probably isn't a head. If Tyrion really was the bastard son of King Aerys then that's a terrible turn for the character. You've got hundreds of pages worth of character development that you can pretty much toss out the damned window. If Tywin rightfully disowned Tyrion then what was the point other than showing us he's a likable dragon's bastard who told funny jokes and slapped the shit out of his not nephew. Sure he mentions having a dragon dream in book 1, but at the same time Tyrion hardly sleeps. On top of that Tyrion's dragon dream seems whimsical and fun whereas the dreams from Dany and Maester Aemon had were both considered terrifying and strange. Tyrion rides a dragon and is finally taller than everyone and in dany's she gets burnt alive by dragons in one and melts the others on the trident... so from one you've got all positives and the others a nice martin balance of terror and wonder. Aemon never describes his but he does mention having them and saying essentially they're terrible due to what they did to his house. As a side note Tyrion will never effectively rule the seven kingdoms in his own right. As much as I and many readers like Tyrion the common folk HATE Tyrion. IDK if it does turn out he's technically a Blackfyre the common folk might forgive him a little for killing Tywin and being convicted for killing Joff... but not very much. To them he's still merely a twisted little monkey demon who is rich for no reason and an abomination in the eyes of gods and men. Tyrion will go on to do important things... His pleasure cruise through Essos and time in slavery wasn't for nothing. Will he get to ride a dragon? Depends on Dany's reception of him. Will he be one of the heads? No. Porbably not.

Victarion Greyjoy. Badass? Yeah. Likable? Depends on who you ask. Head of the dragon? Oh god I hope not. Personally I think with him you've gotta remember that he is sent on a damned fetch quest by his spellslinging crazy ass rapist older brother to bring Dany and her dragons to him. Victarion does have that horn, but does anyone remember the last horn someone said was magic? Fool me once shame on martin fool me twice shame on me. Sure it may be some magic horn with valyrian runes on it, but can it really bind a dragon to its will? If you believed Mance Rayder he had a damned horn to drop the wall. Plus say it with me all Eurons gifts are what? POISONED!!!1!!!11!1 The damphair claimed that Crow's Eye bewitched the captains at the kingsmoot, but the treasure promised was probably more that sufficient for the captains and lords, and there seems to be plenty of dissidents floating around the isles who both couldn't be bought or bullshitmagichorned into submission. That and if the Valyrian dragonhorn was so easy to use mayhaps the ghiscari rhoynar or someone else might have tried stealing it.. fight fire with fire. Along with this the Greyjoys as far as I know don't have any dragon blood in them. Along with that the situation in westeros is now almost a mirror of the setup before aegon's conquest... Iron Men attacking the south, Reach and Western alliance against mutual threats, Stormlands were being ruled by an unliked king .... all setting up to be a beautiful barbecue.

John Snow.... I do buy into the r+l=j theory so I'd say if he can get past the whole being stabbed fiasco then he's got a good shot at getting him some dragon. Ned Stark said he'd tell him the truth of his parentage when he saw him next... I'm not sure what the afterlife would be for blood of the firstmen but beyond a short meeting in the night lands between Jon and Ned the only guy who could reveal the truth is Howland Reed or that wetnurse at Starfall... Wylla or something like that. I don't believe jon is done yet... His whole Azor Ahai dream fighting the wights and others is foreshadowing or I'm a bearded goat. Head 2? Sure i guess.

On any of the trueborn Stark children I'd say they're knocked out merely due to bloodlines alone. Yeah there is the warg angle, but if you think about it there were likely greenseers and wargs up north when the dragons came. If they could warg a powerful magical creature and turn it against your foes, then why would the starks have bent the knee. Sure there is the chance that there weren't greenseers back then or they weren't powerful enough to control something that powerful, but if that's the case then what are the chances of a couple of kids taking control of a dragon. It's commonly agreed that the Old Gods have no power south of the neck due to a lack of weirwoods. Arya did use her powers in her sleep in the riverlands, but the isle of faces has a grove and Raventree Hall does have a dead weirwood she could channel through. If anything Bran should content himself with taking Hodor over and wielding Dark Sister in a guerilla war against the wights and others. Arya isn't even Arya of House Stark anymore due to her lack of face, or if she is then she's gonna go after Cersei and some of Gregor's mongrels. If not she may be asked if she knows Dany and she does not know this woman... so on and so forth. Sansa's ability to warg isn't there so no need really to mention other than saying hells to the no on her.

I'm getting tired so I'll lump the Baratheons and Martells into one group. Both houses have dragon blood in them. The Baratheons are rumored to be bastards of Targs and the dornish married into the seven kingdoms. Trouble is the Martells have had very few additional drops of dragon after that. In the end they really aren't likely candidates to be a head. Along with that Quentyn got barbecued in meereen.. Sure his older sister is made of sterner stuff, but I'd have to say that the result will likely be the same. Stannis on the other hand is a quarter dragon.... Trouble is he fought against the targs in the war of the usurper (wasn't really his choice but dany likely wouldn't care) Plus I'm fairly certain that Stannis wont survive book 6. He's in poor health and donal noye did say he'd break before he bent... so he'll break before his knees bend to some woman on an overgrown lizard I'd say.

Brown ben plumm.... the dragons like him. He's got two drops of dragon blood in him... if dany doesn't have drogon roast him he's a candidate i suppose.

That's my view after 4 read throughs going on 5.

On any of the trueborn Stark children I'd say they're knocked out merely due to bloodlines alone. Yeah there is the warg angle, but if you think about it there were likely greenseers and wargs up north when the dragons came. If they could warg a powerful magical creature and turn it against your foes, then why would the starks have bent the knee. Sure there is the chance that there weren't greenseers back then or they weren't powerful enough to control something that powerful, but if that's the case then what are the chances of a couple of kids taking control of a dragon. It's commonly agreed that the Old Gods have no power south of the neck due to a lack of weirwoods. Arya did use her powers in her sleep in the riverlands, but the isle of faces has a grove and Raventree Hall does have a dead weirwood she could channel through. If anything Bran should content himself with taking Hodor over and wielding Dark Sister in a guerilla war against the wights and others. Arya isn't even Arya of House Stark anymore due to her lack of face, or if she is then she's gonna go after Cersei and some of Gregor's mongrels. If not she may be asked if she knows Dany and she does not know this woman... so on and so forth. Sansa's ability to warg isn't there so no need really to mention other than saying hells to the no on her.

Great post. 2 points. 1 there are weirwoods in Dorne. 2, I have read a fairly well put together theory that the reason the Targs waited 100 years before going to Westeros proper was that the Starks did not have Direwolves at that time and thus did not develope their warging skills.

snip...

In one of Tyrion's chapters he was puzzled that the Targs settled dragonstone 100 years prior to the conquest and waited out for years before finally invading. There could be serveral reasons for this. Perhaps they were waiting for the dragons to mature. Maybe they were waiting for stragglers that escaped the doom to show up. Personally I believe they waited because they were told to wait. The book or their prophet likely told them when x happens do y. When they came into power they built kings landing and made it their seat of power. Why would they do this when Oldtown Lannisport or a host of other cities would have made fine royal seats? Yet again it could be several reasons. It may be that they wanted a seat that wouldn't be imposing on, favoring, or displacing a great house from one of the kingdoms. Or perhaps they wished to show their power by raising a great city where at most there was a few thatched roof hovels. Or yet again I believe they were told in prophecy build a damned city in the place where you land first on the continent proper.

snip...

I love your post too. Awesome job. Just throwing out a few more possibilities out there to consider for your "maybe"s :

My thought is the Targ family was in on the doom with the FM because all the dragons on the continent were bound with those dragonbinder horns and they had had enough and all wanted to die, taking out their masters with them. (I think the horn is real b/c when it was sounded the runes glowed.) In exchange the surviving family served the faceless men (who were founded by the CotF, since they had to live undercover to avoid being exterminated), which included the Targs and their dragons. I think the Stark family may have had a similar kind of arrangement with the CotF around the pact.

So the whole prophesy thing from Daena the dreamer, was them getting their marching orders right from dragonstone itself like how northeners sleep or keep a vigil under a weirwood.

I think they were ordered to invade in the south because Casterly Rock was supposed to be the haven for people in the south when the next long night came along, but the darn thing got taken over by Lann the clever and his Andal Lannisters. Remember every winter winterfell has a winter's town that balloons in size outside of it so Norhterners have a place to survive the winter. So Targs were ordered to invade and build the red keep in order to have a replacement safe haven for people once the long night hit in the south. Explains all the tunnels and child sized passages built into the place by Maegor the cruel. Perhaps even some of the creepy events with the stones swallowing up the guards that went missing during the search for Tyrion.

Why the area that is Kings Landing? Its central to the South, just like Winterfell is for the North. Making it easier for people to run to when the long night arrived. Possibly Casterly Rock used to be central in the continent before the hammer was brought down, which created the neck.

One last thing - I know people keep saying that Tyrion can't be a dragon rider because it would "look ridiculous", but every time I read that point I keep thinking it smacks of Tywin's attitude in the books. The "it can't happen because people will laugh at you" attitude, which is a reason why I think it would be more likely to happen because its a motivation for Tyrion to claim a dragon. Kind of like a F U to his father's expectations to not be laughed at. So yah, I think Tyrion will ride a dragon, and love it.

One last thing - I know people keep saying that Tyrion can't be a dragon rider because it would "look ridiculous", but every time I read that point I keep thinking it smacks of Tywin's attitude in the books. The "it can't happen because people will laugh at you" attitude, which is a reason why I think it would be more likely to happen because its a motivation for Tyrion to claim a dragon. Kind of like a F U to his father's expectations to not be laughed at. So yah, I think Tyrion will ride a dragon, and love it.

That and that large shadow quote that keeps recurring. But I have to disagree with the rest of your post. So far as we know the fm were not founded by the cotf and it seems likely that Targ dreams come from Rhllor's side of things rather than the old gods.

I know everyone of these threads always has a 50 gallon jerry can of wishful thinking, but I for one think that people are deluding themselves to believe the impossible possible.

Everyone knows that during the conquest there were three dragons with a rider a piece. The riders were three Valyrian nobles whose family moved to dragonstone a century prior to the doom of valyria. The warning that spurred their house to move west of the freehold to a rock in the narrow sea was likely Signs and Portents. In book 4 Rodrik Harlaw was nose deep in a book by Archmaester Marwyn claiming he had found three pages of the lost manuscript. I personally am 95% positive that those three pages along with the rest of the book are highly important. At this very moment Marwyn is bound for Slavers Bay with to advise dany... and what's more he's actually trustworthy. In one of Tyrion's chapters he was puzzled that the Targs settled dragonstone 100 years prior to the conquest and waited out for years before finally invading. There could be serveral reasons for this. Perhaps they were waiting for the dragons to mature. Maybe they were waiting for stragglers that escaped the doom to show up. Personally I believe they waited because they were told to wait. The book or their prophet likely told them when x happens do y. When they came into power they built kings landing and made it their seat of power. Why would they do this when Oldtown Lannisport or a host of other cities would have made fine royal seats? Yet again it could be several reasons. It may be that they wanted a seat that wouldn't be imposing on, favoring, or displacing a great house from one of the kingdoms. Or perhaps they wished to show their power by raising a great city where at most there was a few thatched roof hovels. Or yet again I believe they were told in prophecy build a damned city in the place where you land first on the continent proper. Then you've got the whole incest thing. Why practice incest...well the books do speak of keeping the bloodlines pure, but why do the bloodlines for the royal family need to be pure? I'm fairly certain it has to do with the bond they have with dragons. It doesn't take a maester to tell you it can lead to mental problems, and it doesn't take a master diplomat to tell you the easiest way to gain loyalty to marry into every family so the whole kingdoms ruled by relatives. At the same time second and third sons would sometimes be married out to other great houses of the seven kingdoms. Amongst the houses that the dragons married into were Martell, Plumm, Baratheon, and possibly some others. I believe they did this merely to try and go a middle road between diplomacy and keeping bloodlines as pure as possible. Along with that the Velaryons of Driftmark are of Valyrian blood as well and were the steward/vassal house to the targs. Yet despite all this you never hear of a dragon being granted ridden or raised by any family in westeros except the targs. Along with that there isn't ever any substantial mention of dragons being used militarily by anyone except the freeholders. The harpies in Ghis fought them and lost. The Rhoynar fought them and lost and took their broke ass to carve a country outta sand. The Andals decided to pussy out and pick a fight with the first men rather than face the dragons. The Braavosi decided to hide in a swamp rather than roast in the mine or in a slave riot fighting dragonlords and dragons. So that pretty much knocks out natives of the eastern continent wholesale along with most of the noble families in westeros.

So what it comes down to is that the targs are the last of the dragonlords and through instinctual blood magic dany hatched one. She has gone for a ride on drogon and he kinda listens to her like a rebellious teenager... which is odd because she herself is a rebellious teenager, but I digress. There's head number 1.

Number 2&3? That's the trickier part.

I can say with 90% certainty that Tyrion probably isn't a head. If Tyrion really was the bastard son of King Aerys then that's a terrible turn for the character. You've got hundreds of pages worth of character development that you can pretty much toss out the damned window. If Tywin rightfully disowned Tyrion then what was the point other than showing us he's a likable dragon's bastard who told funny jokes and slapped the shit out of his not nephew. Sure he mentions having a dragon dream in book 1, but at the same time Tyrion hardly sleeps. On top of that Tyrion's dragon dream seems whimsical and fun whereas the dreams from Dany and Maester Aemon had were both considered terrifying and strange. Tyrion rides a dragon and is finally taller than everyone and in dany's she gets burnt alive by dragons in one and melts the others on the trident... so from one you've got all positives and the others a nice martin balance of terror and wonder. Aemon never describes his but he does mention having them and saying essentially they're terrible due to what they did to his house. As a side note Tyrion will never effectively rule the seven kingdoms in his own right. As much as I and many readers like Tyrion the common folk HATE Tyrion. IDK if it does turn out he's technically a Blackfyre the common folk might forgive him a little for killing Tywin and being convicted for killing Joff... but not very much. To them he's still merely a twisted little monkey demon who is rich for no reason and an abomination in the eyes of gods and men. Tyrion will go on to do important things... His pleasure cruise through Essos and time in slavery wasn't for nothing. Will he get to ride a dragon? Depends on Dany's reception of him. Will he be one of the heads? No. Porbably not.

Victarion Greyjoy. Badass? Yeah. Likable? Depends on who you ask. Head of the dragon? Oh god I hope not. Personally I think with him you've gotta remember that he is sent on a damned fetch quest by his spellslinging crazy ass rapist older brother to bring Dany and her dragons to him. Victarion does have that horn, but does anyone remember the last horn someone said was magic? Fool me once shame on martin fool me twice shame on me. Sure it may be some magic horn with valyrian runes on it, but can it really bind a dragon to its will? If you believed Mance Rayder he had a damned horn to drop the wall. Plus say it with me all Eurons gifts are what? POISONED!!!1!!!11!1 The damphair claimed that Crow's Eye bewitched the captains at the kingsmoot, but the treasure promised was probably more that sufficient for the captains and lords, and there seems to be plenty of dissidents floating around the isles who both couldn't be bought or bullshitmagichorned into submission. That and if the Valyrian dragonhorn was so easy to use mayhaps the ghiscari rhoynar or someone else might have tried stealing it.. fight fire with fire. Along with this the Greyjoys as far as I know don't have any dragon blood in them. Along with that the situation in westeros is now almost a mirror of the setup before aegon's conquest... Iron Men attacking the south, Reach and Western alliance against mutual threats, Stormlands were being ruled by an unliked king .... all setting up to be a beautiful barbecue.

John Snow.... I do buy into the r+l=j theory so I'd say if he can get past the whole being stabbed fiasco then he's got a good shot at getting him some dragon. Ned Stark said he'd tell him the truth of his parentage when he saw him next... I'm not sure what the afterlife would be for blood of the firstmen but beyond a short meeting in the night lands between Jon and Ned the only guy who could reveal the truth is Howland Reed or that wetnurse at Starfall... Wylla or something like that. I don't believe jon is done yet... His whole Azor Ahai dream fighting the wights and others is foreshadowing or I'm a bearded goat. Head 2? Sure i guess.

I'm getting tired so I'll lump the Baratheons and Martells into one group. Both houses have dragon blood in them. The Baratheons are rumored to be bastards of Targs and the dornish married into the seven kingdoms. Trouble is the Martells have had very few additional drops of dragon after that. In the end they really aren't likely candidates to be a head. Along with that Quentyn got barbecued in meereen.. Sure his older sister is made of sterner stuff, but I'd have to say that the result will likely be the same. Stannis on the other hand is a quarter dragon.... Trouble is he fought against the targs in the war of the usurper (wasn't really his choice but dany likely wouldn't care) Plus I'm fairly certain that Stannis wont survive book 6. He's in poor health and donal noye did say he'd break before he bent... so he'll break before his knees bend to some woman on an overgrown lizard I'd say.

Brown ben plumm.... the dragons like him. He's got two drops of dragon blood in him... if dany doesn't have drogon roast him he's a candidate i suppose.

That's my view after 4 read throughs going on 5.

Agree with damn near everything. Only thing i would question is why do you think Tyrion not being a Targ woul knock him out of the dragon rider candidates? I think it would be much more ironic for it to be Cersei and Jaime to be Targs, and thus Jaime being a kinslayer as well as Tyrion, explains the incest, and makes Tyrion Tywin's only trueborn child. It makes sense as Aerys took the first night with Tywin's wife. That would make that goldshitting bastard roll in his grave. But Tyrion riding Viserion makes nice sense because the dragon is golden as befits a Lannister, he has so much on dragon lore, and he always loved dragons. While I do believe he is a dragon rider, I don't necessarily believe he had plot armor. Viserion is named after Viserys, a cruel man who died early on. Knowing Martin, that could damn well be some foreshadowing. So I have 3 possible endings for Tyrion. 1. He is Hand to Jon and Dany on the Iron Throne. 2. He is lord of Casterly Rock, and Warden of the West. 3. He dies with Viserion fighting the Others and possibly is ressurrected as a wight, or just dead.

I dont think Jon is going to be a Dragon head. It's just too obvious for GRRM to make it true. Dany is obviously one, and my next two candidates are Tyrion - GRRM's favorite character, and someone for which he has an obvious soft spot, and Victarion. Yes, you heard me. He's been turned into some sort of fire being, hence is burning hand, and he will use that hand to ride the dragon.

Tyrion Lannister, third Child of Lord Tywin Lannister, killed his mother in childbirth.

Daenerys Targaryen, third child of King Aerys Targaryen, killed her mother in childbirth.

Jon Snow, third child of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen (if R+L=J), killed his mother in childbirth.

Just imagining Tyrion flying a dragon makes me giggle - I can see GRRM writing this.

Agree with damn near everything. Only thing i would question is why do you think Tyrion not being a Targ woul knock him out of the dragon rider candidates? I think it would be much more ironic for it to be Cersei and Jaime to be Targs, and thus Jaime being a kinslayer as well as Tyrion, explains the incest, and makes Tyrion Tywin's only trueborn child. It makes sense as Aerys took the first night with Tywin's wife. That would make that goldshitting bastard roll in his grave. But Tyrion riding Viserion makes nice sense because the dragon is golden as befits a Lannister, he has so much on dragon lore, and he always loved dragons. While I do believe he is a dragon rider, I don't necessarily believe he had plot armor. Viserion is named after Viserys, a cruel man who died early on. Knowing Martin, that could damn well be some foreshadowing. So I have 3 possible endings for Tyrion. 1. He is Hand to Jon and Dany on the Iron Throne. 2. He is lord of Casterly Rock, and Warden of the West. 3. He dies with Viserion fighting the Others and possibly is ressurrected as a wight, or just dead.

Historically all the dragons have been ridden by men and women of Valyrian blood. There's no historical mention of the Lannisters having any positive experiences with any animals. In fact the only mention of an animal in relation to their house was a lord being nearly eaten by a lion and being saved by a Clegane. Besides tricking the Casters out of Casterly Rock and amassing such a large fortune they can buy nearly any man their house's ascension to power isn't really elaborated on. I'd assume that like most every house from the age of heroes they have a mix of first men and andal blood in them. If there was one thing the Valyrians were far famed for other than dragons it was their magical prowess. Using magic to create such wonders as Valyrian steel blades Dragonstone and their roads which have stood the test of time. As Archmaester Marwyn said all Valyrian magics work using one or both of fire and/or blood. Other than having the "pyromancers" (chemists union is closer to the mark) use wildfire (napalm) on a bunch of boats Tyrion doesn't seem to have an aptitude for fire magic. Along with that he doesn't seem to be much of a blood mage either. In the works so far the only people working magic like that are Dany, Mel, Beric, Thoros, Axel Florent, and Moqorro. Dany used blood magic to hatch her clutch of dragons, and will likely have to work more blood magic to get Drogon to do as he's told. If Tyrion starts developing a magical repertoire in winds of winter then I'll be sold. Until then he'll make a great adviser to Dany due to his knowledge of dragonlore, but like Samwell said reading about archery doesn't make you an archer.

That and that large shadow quote that keeps recurring.

:agree: Yah, that shadow's definitely been there from the beginning. Another huge hint.

But I have to disagree with the rest of your post. So far as we know the fm were not founded by the cotf and it seems likely that Targ dreams come from Rhllor's side of things rather than the old gods.

Well, while it hasn't been explicitly said in the text yet, the following hints I've seen that have led me to that conclusion are:

• the white and black ravens that we see in the citadel (that the CotF live their second life in)
  • the weirwood and ebony doors of the HoB&W that respond when Arya says the magic words.
  • the use of the weirwood chairs in the meeting of the Faceless men when they decide who kills who (and not who gets killed, that gets decided by the many faced god, which is a process we haven't seen yet)
  • the KM's scary face vs Bloodraven's face are similar, and other things around the HoB&W that parallel Bran's story to Arya's. The possibility is there that the KM is a skinchanged Bloodraven.

:agree: Yah, that shadow's definitely been there from the beginning. Another huge hint.

Well, while it hasn't been explicitly said in the text yet, the following hints I've seen that have led me to that conclusion are:

• the white and black ravens that we see in the citadel (that the CotF live their second life in)
  • the weirwood and ebony doors of the HoB&W that respond when Arya says the magic words.
  • the use of the weirwood chairs in the meeting of the Faceless men when they decide who kills who (and not who gets killed, that gets decided by the many faced god, which is a process we haven't seen yet)
  • the KM's scary face vs Bloodraven's face are similar, and other things around the HoB&W that parallel Bran's story to Arya's. The possibility is there that the KM is a skinchanged Bloodraven.

The possibility is there on anything but I think your grasping at thin air here.

Historically all the dragons have been ridden by men and women of Valyrian blood. There's no historical mention of the Lannisters having any positive experiences with any animals. In fact the only mention of an animal in relation to their house was a lord being nearly eaten by a lion and being saved by a Clegane. Besides tricking the Casters out of Casterly Rock and amassing such a large fortune they can buy nearly any man their house's ascension to power isn't really elaborated on. I'd assume that like most every house from the age of heroes they have a mix of first men and andal blood in them. If there was one thing the Valyrians were far famed for other than dragons it was their magical prowess. Using magic to create such wonders as Valyrian steel blades Dragonstone and their roads which have stood the test of time. As Archmaester Marwyn said all Valyrian magics work using one or both of fire and/or blood. Other than having the "pyromancers" (chemists union is closer to the mark) use wildfire (napalm) on a bunch of boats Tyrion doesn't seem to have an aptitude for fire magic. Along with that he doesn't seem to be much of a blood mage either. In the works so far the only people working magic like that are Dany, Mel, Beric, Thoros, Axel Florent, and Moqorro. Dany used blood magic to hatch her clutch of dragons, and will likely have to work more blood magic to get Drogon to do as he's told. If Tyrion starts developing a magical repertoire in winds of winter then I'll be sold. Until then he'll make a great adviser to Dany due to his knowledge of dragonlore, but like Samwell said reading about archery doesn't make you an archer.

Except for Aegon, there isn't any other characters to fill the spot of third dragon rider. Sure the dragons liked Ben Brown Plumm, but he betrayed Dany and is likely toast or just a small influence now. Aegon and Dany are going to duke it out. Who would you say is the last dragon rider that will live at the end of the series?

Archived