Who are your top four characters?

TheLastHero

Oberyn 'The Red Viper' Martell - Because he's the best that ever was or will be.

I would be Oberyn. He's intelligent, witty, good-looking but not overly pretty, intelligent, cultured, passionate, loves his family, doesn't allow himself to be held back by stagnant social orders. He's probably one of the most progressive people in Westeros. His entire lifespan in the novels is a blaze of glory. KILLS GREGOR CLEGANE. Trains his bastard daughters to be lethal warriors. Doesn't live long, but I would be down to live the 30 or so years HE lived.

:cheers: welcome to the Oberyn fan club. The coolest club in Planky Town

1. Ned Stark is my absolute favourite.

2. Arya Stark.

3. Jon Snow.

4. Daenerys Targaryen.

Honourable mentions must go to - Tyrion (really, he is on a par with 2, 3 and 4 but as only four characters were requested!), Davos, Catelyn, Jaime (on his redemption curve) and the Daynes, Ser Arthur & Ashara, who I've been intrigued by from the first book!

In no particular order because I'm a fickle mistress...

Catelyn Stark, Jon Snow, Cersei Lannister, Daenerys Targaryen.

Honorable mentions: Jaime Lannister, Stannis Baratheon, Sansa Stark, Arianne Martell, Edmure Tully (I don't even care. He was concerned about his smallfolk and I love him for it).

1. Jaqen H'ghar - has a slight case of identity crisis but a fun character none the less.

2. Victarion Greyjoy - Slightly neglected by his siblings but his sheer bad assery makes up for it all.

3. Darkstar - Has the b***s to attack a princess.. (J/K hes a character that I think should be explored more for his hilarious one liner in the book.)

4. Oberyn Martell - Even though his life was cut short he made quite the impression.

1. Stannis: Soldier, brother, lover, unintentional comedian. Perhaps the most complex and well drawn character in the series; portrayed not only with a great deal of perception but with a degree of artistic detachment and honesty that is sorely lacking for some other, more popular characters.

2. Cersei. Hate her or love her, I think a credible argument could be made that there would be no ASOIAF series without her. If most of the series cruelty, war, disaster can be contributed back to her; so can the drama and human interest that has made us all keep reading.

3. Arya. She started out as one of the most vivid and sympathetically drawn characters in the series (and unlike with some other characters, with her I don't feel as though the sympathy is misplaced.) And despite my personal dissatisfaction with the foray into the "preteen ninja warrior assassin who runs around effortlessly killing grown men twice her age and four times her size" storyline, I still really enjoy her.

4. Davos Seaworth. Not someone I consider to be the most complex, morally grey, or internally conflicted character around. But amongst all the other POV's, his natural decency is both refreshing and a relief. As other characters harass helpless bedslaves, threaten to kill babies, and follow codes of honor that require them to stand by as their king rapes someone, his honest, unpretentious decency (for which he is rarely rewarded for, and not recognized in the same way that many "great knights" or lords are) is a relief.

WRT Ned Stark, someone once said that his death was proof that a man can't be moral and alive in Westeros. I think Davos Seaworth's continued survival proves him wrong. If Ned's death proved anything, it was that a man can't be moral and alive and stupid in Westeros.

1. Stannis: Soldier, brother, lover, unintentional comedian. Perhaps the most complex and well drawn character in the series; portrayed not only with a great deal of perception but with a degree of artistic detachment and honesty that is sorely lacking for some other, more popular characters.

Well said! This insight makes me want to reconsider and put Stannis on my list.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm tough

Alive

Arya (how many 12 year old serial killers do you know are this awesome female dexter)

Varys (sooo mysterious i like the dude no homo)

Aegon (don't know why i just like the kid)

Barristan (badass)

Dead

Rhaegar (just awesome being knighted by this guy was top honour in the day)

Arthur Dayne (don't mess with someone who has the name sword in his nickname)

Oberyn Martel (killed the mountain and made him suffer too if that wasn't badass enough, he told cersei to go fuck herself and has 3somes on a regular)

Ned Stark (for sentimental reason)

Archived