[Book Spoilers] Which is a White Walker?

Harrad

So what I'm thinking is that, like all other creatures, White walkers come in many different shapes and sizes.

If that's the case, all bets are off. The giant human-like creature that beheaded the Night Watch squad leader and the smallish white-rabbit creatures that rode horses in the last episode are the same thing? Okey dokey. Maybe they will have fins or wings next.

So what I'm thinking is that, like all other creatures, White walkers come in many different shapes and sizes.
I think this is a fair enough explanation, to be honest. It's not like the differences are that vast, especially not as the close ups have marked similarities.

I very clearly recall when Sam in running from a WW's with Gilly before he shivs one with dragon glass that it was riding a *gasp* dead rotting horse. the nerve of D&D using something from the books.

I say we mutiny!

I very clearly recall when Sam in running from a WW's with Gilly before he shivs one with dragon glass that it was riding a *gasp* dead rotting horse. the nerve of D&D using something from the books.

I say we mutiny!

Yes, those are the WW, as in 2-10. In 1-1, maybe that was a giant. Just saying.

Yes, those are the WW, as in 2-10. In 1-1, maybe that was a giant. Just saying.

It's too small to be a giant.

While you're complaining about the differences between the s01e01 white walker and the s02e10 imagine Tyrion next to Gregor Clegane...

While some people are clearly overreacting, I too was a bit baffled byh the changes. The two are obviously quite different. It would have been better if they'd just made a better CGI version of the original which I thought looked fine.

Let's make it even more confusing. The one who does the beheading is similar in appearance to the one that took the baby at Craster's. Both were able to move with considerable speed. In the last episode of the 2nd season, we see some blue-white icy looking guys that are apparently so cold there is a bit of ice fog coming off their bodies, leading an army of zombies in various states of disrepair. The zombies seem slow moving and mindless. I can understand that some have the clothes of Night's Watch and some have the clothes and shields of Wildlings. They are probably the re-animated dead.

If the show's producers decided to redesign the White Walkers and Wights, it looks like they did it after the Craster episode. There is another fly in the ointment. It has been hinted at, time and time again, that these critters only come out at night and extreme cold. Why are they no marching in daylight?

I will add another voice to the "Gollum" theory.

I allso think it was a necessary and good thing. For all it's qualities, the show has usually disappointed me in getting things/characters to look like I imagined them, but the new "white walkers" look much closer to the mental image I had from the books. Too bad we didn't hear their "voice like cracking ice" but hopefully they will fix that too for next season.

White rabbit? I'm pretty sure the two (and yes there were two) white walkers seen this episode were normal sized men, or as normal as you could tell sitting in a horse.

The facial appearance was pretty similar in each, except in the pilot the bigger WW was dark while the first one we saw on Sunday was paler.

White rabbit? I'm pretty sure the two (and yes there were two) white walkers seen this episode were normal sized men, or as normal as you could tell sitting in a horse.

The facial appearance was pretty similar in each, except in the pilot the bigger WW was dark while the first one we saw on Sunday was paler.

All cats are the same color after midnight.

I've always been kind of confused by the difference between wights, white walkers and Others.

The wights are the snow zombies with blue eyes, no? That's what the dude from Season 1 Episode 1 looked like and the wight that Jon kills in episode 8. They're re-animated. The Others are the beings that create the wights?

I thought the rabbity looking thing was an Other and the zombies were wights.

Yep, wights are the undead, man and animal. The white walkers are the Others and the ones who command the wights.

I wouldn't necessarily call the WW from S1E1 a giant. He's tall, yes, a full head taller than Gared when he chops his head off, but he still clearly looks man-sized when we see him head to toe immediately afterward. He's tall and brawny, but I didn't look at him and think, wow, that dude's gigantic; wherever did they get him? And he can definitely sit a horse; I don't really get that part of the complaint at all. In comparison, the S2E10 WW that we see is slimmer and smaller, but he also looks like an old man, intentionally or not. And he's calling out orders, so maybe it could be explained as simply as beefy warrior vs. aged leader. A Kingsguard next to a maester. Regardless, surely there would be variations throughout the Others, as in every other species ever.

Having said that, though, I feel like the new version will probably be the only ones we see from now on, so justifying their coexistence doesn't particularly matter, just the jump from one to the other. And there were definitely noticeable changes made from the Others we last saw in S2E2. I just don't think they were grandiose enough for someone to not realize they were the same creature.

Ok not relying on memory I blu-rayed the creature in 1-1. Its Mountain-sized, with long hair, wearing a kilt and boots. Its not on horseback and looks supremely buff and athletic. So if you want to presume there are Stephen Hawking-like WW on horseback and Andre the Giant-like WW on foot, go for it. They act differently, they dress differently, but they both have arms and legs so clearly, they are the same species. Just like humans and chimps--they share 99% the same DNA.

Ok not relying on memory I blu-rayed the creature in 1-1. Its Mountain-sized, with long hair, wearing a kilt and boots. Its not on horseback and looks supremely buff and athletic. So if you want to presume there are Stephen Hawking-like WW on horseback and Andre the Giant-like WW on foot, go for it. They act differently, they dress differently, but they both have arms and legs so clearly, they are the same species. Just like humans and chimps--they share 99% the same DNA.

So they changed the look. What is your point?

So they changed the look. What is your point?

They are both not White Walkers. To compare the difference between the two creatures to Gollum FOTR and Gollum TTT is whistling past the graveyard.

I think the creature in S1E1 looked like a newly made wight. I hadn't read the books when I first saw it, so I thought he and the creepy girl were wildlings who had just died and become re-animated. Why else would he be wearing a kilt? I suppose an Other could wear a kilt too. His appearance was just weird. It wasn't entirely scary.

You can't reveal the bogeyman in the first shot of a movie, or a TV show. It's the degree of mystery that makes them scary. When you shine a light on it, you take away its power. The ending of the finale at the The Fist of First Men was intense because we'd been building up to it for so long.

Lets try this another way: Why are they called White Walkers? Because they ride horses?

The Others ride undead horses, and sometimes they don't. Just like humans in the series.

Its obvious the concept changed but who cares? The WW's in the pilot were kind of lame looking...like some guy in a weird big-foot suit, whereas the one in the finale was complete badass and believable. There is nothing wrong in making visual improvements.

I was feeling so/so about the finale until I saw the new WW concept. It looked great, the old one's really bugged me.

Archived