[Book Spoilers] Which is a White Walker?

Harrad

The degree of rationalization in this blog is stupendous. The White Sometimes Walkers are sometimes one species and sometimes another. How about the theory that the creature that beheaded the Night Watch squad leader who moved and looked nothing like a zombie and WALKED, was a WW, whereas the white-rabbit-like creatures riding horses were something else.

Lets try this another way: Why are they called White Walkers? Because they ride horses?

Sometimes, they ride giant spiders as well. I think from now on you and only you should be forced to call them White Spider Riders...

:mellow:

In all seriousness, I get your complaint. They have been radically altered, and I hope that the alterations don't affect how they are suppose to behave.

I don't know, isn't it reasonable to assume that, like any race, there will be a variety of shapes and sizes, including skin color for example? It doesn't have to be that much of a problem, although I thought the original White Walker looked a lot more frightening in the first episode.

If that's the case, all bets are off. The giant human-like creature that beheaded the Night Watch squad leader and the smallish white-rabbit creatures that rode horses in the last episode are the same thing? Okey dokey. Maybe they will have fins or wings next.

No need to be facetious. White Walkers are clearly humanoid creatures, your nearest analogue is, well, humans. Now look at the range of shapes and sizes you see in the world - even in GoT itself. We have the 7ft Gregor Clegane and without going to the other extreme (Tyrion) we also see average-sized people like Jon Snow, the Halfhand, Lancel, etc, etc. Seems to me that the WW seen in S01E01 could have been the outlier in terms of size. It's also worth noting that the WW in that episode was fully clothed in bulky winter garb (such as Wildlings wear) whereas the WW in the last episode was naked.

I'm pretty sure the White walker in the first episode of series one was played by an actor whereas the one we see in episode 10 of the second series was obviously computer generated so obviously they will look different.

I don't see what the huge problem is anyways , so they reworked what the WW look like , big deal X_X

If that's the case, all bets are off. The giant human-like creature that beheaded the Night Watch squad leader and the smallish white-rabbit creatures that rode horses in the last episode are the same thing? Okey dokey. Maybe they will have fins or wings next.

You mean the thing that was completely shrouded in darkness in the pilot? The thing that no one got a good look at?

[MOD]

Lay off with the personal jibes, folks. I note this is the second time a mod has asked nicely in this thread.

Further, if you think a post needs mod attention, please use the report function.

[/MOD]

In watching the last scene of S2E10, my concern was with the total number of beings. I could see someone who has not read the books to wonder if this is a group of WW and wildlings. I never expected WW to be an army as large as shown

I saw the W actual Walker in 1-1 just fine. I used a special feature on my blu-ray player called "pause." It looks nothing like the White Horse Rider in 2-10. In 1-1 the deserting Night Watcher is beheaded right after he says he saw a WW. Now, he might have been mistaken. In 2-10, there is nothing that identifies the white-rabbit riders as WW. Think about why in Westeros history a creature would be called a White Walker. Probably, and I am just guessing here, it was white, and much more often than not, it was walkin'.

The WW in the first episode was about 7 feet tall, because the actor playing him was 7 feet tall. In fact, he's exactly the same height as the Mountain, because he's played by the same actor as the Mountain in S2. So yes, very tall, but not monstrously so, and not so tall that it precludes them from riding.

Furthermore, that the white walkers sometimes ride is book canon. From Sam's first chapter in FFC:

Some stories speak of them riding the corpses of dead animals. Bears, direwolves, mammoths, horses, it makes no matter, so long as the beast is dead. The one that killed Small Paul was riding a dead horse, so that part's plainly true. Some accounts speak of giant ice spiders, too. I don't know what those are.

I actually agree that the White Walker in the finale was less scary than in the first episode. I believe suggestion is far more powerful than seeing him clearly like that. But I also disagree that they're completely different.

The WW in Episode 01 was obscured by a cloak, but the screencaps show the underlying design as very close to what we saw in Episode 20. There's nothing so dramatically different which can't be explained as simple random variation between two individuals.

I'm a bit surprised at how ticked this has people.

First off, its quite possible that the Others/WW are not all factory assembled, same shape, same size creatures. There could easily be taller "ranger" like WWs running through the woods, and "smaller" (really you are talking about a guy sitting on a horse not exactly easy to determine his height unless you know the horse), horse back WWs. Could it not be that there are classes of white walkers, foot soldiers, cavalry, and possibly a society of these things up north. Its kind of like Planet of the Apes in my mind.

Perhaps the guys on the horses / spiders or whatever aren't as fast and nimble as the guys in the woods were? Maybe these are "older" WWs versus the younger versions that are chopping off ranger heads and taunting other rangers with them (such rapscallions those forest WWs)

If the show's producers decided to redesign the White Walkers and Wights, it looks like they did it after the Craster episode. There is another fly in the ointment. It has been hinted at, time and time again, that these critters only come out at night and extreme cold. Why are they no marching in daylight?

Because shooting during the night in the frozen wilderness of Iceland is pretty hard, not to mention very dangerous. Plus, if they'd shot in the pitch black icelandic night, we hadn't gotten that last pan out shot of the wight horde.

As for the actual discussion, why can't White Walkers have different attributes? I've not read or heard anything about them being clones of one White Walker. They are a different species, even if they appear magical and outlandish to the people of Westeros. Some are black, some are white, some big, other small, and some lack noses, be it Tyrion Lannister or the one who killed Waymar Royce.

Because shooting during the night in the frozen wilderness of Iceland is pretty hard, not to mention very dangerous. Plus, if they'd shot in the pitch black icelandic night, we hadn't gotten that last pan out shot of the wight horde.

Indeed and returning to book canon as cited by George above, what Sam also mentions is that they don't like sunlight; mist, falling snow, trees, overcast they're fine. In the book the attack on the Fist took place in the dark, but they're not restricted to the night. I think the point of that scene is that series 1 finished with the dragons hatching, and something equally big and portentious was needed to wrap series 2.

Sorry, but since the menagerie of GRRM is large and growing, I'm not going to concede that a group of dead horse riders are the generic "white walkers." The guys on horses could be "Others" or "Rabbits of the NIght" or you-name-it. Anyone else that wants to call them WW, I have no problem with. Just, in the wee hours of the morning, think about the ancient Andals, seeing a similar group that attacks the Night Watch camp in 2-10, and identifying the walking dead as "wights" or "zombies" and the rabbit-guys riding horses as "white walkers." That's etymology, for ya.

I personally found the Other depiction a bit off: I was imagining them as elegant "ice elves", rather than these more skeletal critters.

I agree. They're not quite as GRRM described them to the comic book artist, but nevertheless a definite improvement on the series 1 prologue. What did strike me about the older guy who looks at Sam is the resemblance to the faces carved in the weirwood trees.

Sorry, but since the menagerie of GRRM is large and growing, I'm not going to concede that a group of dead horse riders are the generic "white walkers." The guys on horses could be "Others" or "Rabbits of the NIght" or you-name-it. Anyone else that wants to call them WW, I have no problem with. Just, in the wee hours of the morning, think about the ancient Andals, seeing a similar group that attacks the Night Watch camp in 2-10, and identifying the walking dead as "wights" or "zombies" and the rabbit-guys riding horses as "white walkers." That's etymology, for ya.

Ah well, reading the books might help. :cool4:

Archived