[Book Spoilers] Which is a White Walker?

Harrad

Sorry, but since the menagerie of GRRM is large and growing, I'm not going to concede that a group of dead horse riders are the generic "white walkers." The guys on horses could be "Others" or "Rabbits of the NIght" or you-name-it. Anyone else that wants to call them WW, I have no problem with. Just, in the wee hours of the morning, think about the ancient Andals, seeing a similar group that attacks the Night Watch camp in 2-10, and identifying the walking dead as "wights" or "zombies" and the rabbit-guys riding horses as "white walkers." That's etymology, for ya.

If you read through the books, you'll see that they're referred to by most as the "Others". White Walkers is a term mainly used by some wildlings. In the books we see them both afoot and on dead horses. If you don't like how they're depicted that's fine, but to say they're not "white walkers" because they're riding is wrong. BTW First men != Andals (ancient or otherwise), the Andals never settled the north besides the Manderley's at White Harbor. White Walkers was the term the tv show settled on as to not confuse people with "Others" from the Lost tv show.

If you read through the books, you'll see that they're referred to by most as the "Others". White Walkers is a term mainly used by some wildlings.

Thats right and they were called Walkers because they were riding dead horses. The Starks and the Night's Watch (both not wildlings) also knew what WW were, at least in legends.

Sorry, but since the menagerie of GRRM is large and growing, I'm not going to concede that a group of dead horse riders are the generic "white walkers." The guys on horses could be "Others" or "Rabbits of the NIght" or you-name-it. Anyone else that wants to call them WW, I have no problem with. Just, in the wee hours of the morning, think about the ancient Andals, seeing a similar group that attacks the Night Watch camp in 2-10, and identifying the walking dead as "wights" or "zombies" and the rabbit-guys riding horses as "white walkers." That's etymology, for ya.

A question: how do you know, exactly, how large or small these "rabbit-looking" beings are that are shown in the last scene of Season 2? They are both (there are two of them, fwiw, the second was bringing up the rear) on horseback. If Gregor was on horseback, would his height be immediately apparent? Especially if there was not a control next to him (as with the White Walker closely shown in the scene)?

Also, for the record, White Walkers = Others. The Others is used most often in the books, but some characters do refer to them as White Walkers. The Others is rarely (if ever, I think) used in the TV in deferrence to the show LOST. And yes, wights = zombies and they are created and controlled by the White Walkers/Others. Everything in this paragraph is confirmed canon both from the books and from the TV show producers.

They simply changed the way the WW look from the pilot episode to the latest one. That's all. And the change wasn't that drastic, really.

The one they showed Sunday had no armor or helmet, the lighting was better, and the camera really focused on him. So you could see more. Why does one have armor (pilot) and the most recent one doesn't? Could be the situations. In the pilot, the Night's Watch men probably were'nt ranging too far. So the WW they encountered was closer to the Wall, also probably a ranger of sorts. So maybe they were outfitted accordingly. The one we saw Sunday was nearer to his own land, leading an army. So maybe he didn't feel armor was necessary at that very moment. It should also be noted that the WW at the rear of the wight army did appear to have armor and a helmet.

Thats right and they were called Walkers because they were riding dead horses. The Starks and the Night's Watch (both not wildlings) also knew what WW were, at least in legends.

OK, so it's pretty clear that you're trolling at this point, but I'll reply anyway.

Here is part of the scene from episode 1-1 straight out of the book:

The Other slid forward on silent feet. In its hand was a longsword like none that Will had ever seen.

The creature in the scene is described as an "Other."

Here is an excerpt from A Game of Thrones stating that Other=White Walker.

"...direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods." "You mean the Others," Bran said querulously. "The Others," Old Nan agreed.

And here is part of the scene from 2-10, depicted in A Storm of Swords:

"They never blow three. Not for hundreds and thousands of years. Three means-" "Others"

So it's pretty clear that what you saw in both scenes are indeed White Walkers. You really have no argument against that, other than the creature from the final scene in 2-10 wasn't walking at the time that we see him. Is a jumping spider no longer a jumping spider when i see him crawl on the wall?

If you're just arguing because you don't like the look of the white walkers in the show - I liked them, but to each his own.

If you're mad that the design was changed from 1-1 to 2-10 - I guess you'll just have to deal with it.

And they also change size from being smaller non-human species easily fitting on horseback to being over-sized human-like creatures? It must be comforting to have low-resolution visual and mental abilities. They must keep one from noticing things in the enviroment. Its a calming influence no doubt, until you run up againt a bear that you thought was a cute little white rabbit.

An expert on the subject has clarified things on the issue.

You need a hug, Just remember the show isnt canon, and the books are always there to satisfy these kind of questions. The books refer to them as "Others" far more often than calling them "White Walkers". The show just picked up the Walkers name since is sounds more like a proper noun than simply Others.

For the record, i didnt like the design of the Other at the end of the S2. I prefer the draped in shadow, large and fast creature we saw in season 1 but I do accept theyre the same.

I agree about the differences between the White Walkers between episode 1 and now this recent episode. They look totally different. I actually thought the first episodes version was much better and much more fierce looking. The one from this last episode looked like a character from a Disney movie or The Chronicles of Narnia, very cartoonish. I think giving it such a distinct face with a big nose like that just ruined it for me. Unless the point was to make them seem like they aren't as monstrous as we think, I did not like this version at all. I cannot believe how people can even argue that there is not a huge difference between episode 1's version and this version.

I actually didn't care for the ending at all. I understand they wanted to keep that storyline fresh and make it like it is the real problem going on, but it is very misleading in my opinion.

Real quick, I did like the look they were going with in episode 1 but I also believe that the WW/others can and should have different looks to them.

Here was my problems:

- My problem is the fact that they weren't donned in the camouflaged armor for one, actually they had no armor at all. 2nd, the WW are supposed to appear out of nowhere, the only way you know they are there is because of the drastic drop in temperature.

These guys just appear, right on top of you like some super stealth ninjas, why were they marching so slow in the middle of an open area (which also pisses me off there's no trees north of the wall now!???) durring the middle of the day?

The first true encounter with WW I just imagined them showing the reaction of how it was getting so cold then people to start dying and mass chaos, then the horn blow 3x. (IDK maybe like it was in the book...)

Real quick, I did like the look they were going with in episode 1 but I also believe that the WW/others can and should have different looks to them.

Here was my problems:

- My problem is the fact that they weren't donned in the camouflaged armor for one, actually they had no armor at all. 2nd, the WW are supposed to appear out of nowhere, the only way you know they are there is because of the drastic drop in temperature.

These guys just appear, right on top of you like some super stealth ninjas, why were they marching so slow in the middle of an open area (which also pisses me off there's no trees north of the wall now!???) durring the middle of the day?

The first true encounter with WW I just imagined them showing the reaction of how it was getting so cold then people to start dying and mass chaos, then the horn blow 3x. (IDK maybe like it was in the book...)

1. problem: the lack of armor bothered me too, but you cannot make the viewers suddenly feel cold on their couch at home, it is teleVISION, you can affect people with visual tools and assets.

2.: the middle of the day thing also bothered me too, its totally not-canon and just idiotoc. But i must repeat the television-argument stated above: the lack of seeing something which you know there is may has a scary effect, but its not easy to sell through tv. I think the directors were afraid of shooting a darknight scene because of visablity reasons.

Archived