From Pawn to Player: Rethinking Sansa III

brashcandy

I love the two aforemented chapters, and it really pains me to pick one, but if I really have to it's the last Alayne chapter of AFFC where she takes Sweetrobin down the mountain. It really illustrates in a powerful way how far Sansa has come since she was someone who looked forward to having tea and lemoncakes with Cersei in AGOT. It doesn't have as much foreshadowing and symbolism, nor as many WTF moments as the snow castle chapter, but I think it's the point where Sansa is launched into the rest of the story, if that makes sense. It's like a take off point for what will come, filled with promise.

It's also powerful in that Sansa is actually somewhat happy in it. She laughs once while riding down, she's self assured with Sweetrobin, she enjoys talking to Myranda and Mya and she flirts with the sellswords at the end, which is a marked difference from the Sansa of ACOK and ASOS where she has very little to be pleased or even content about. Even if her situation with Littlefinger is far from ideal, at least she hasn't got a constant death threat hanging over her head, neither does she have to share a bed with Tyrion or face Joffrey and Cersei at court.

I thought I would say the final BBW chapter in Clash but I'm going to have to agree with Lyanna Stark. That isn't my favorite chapter, it just happens to have my favorite scene. My favorite Sansa chapter is the final one in Feast. To me, her last chapter in Storm is about leaving her childhood behind for me. Feast is a book that shows her in transition towards adulthood but that last chapter is filled with glimpses of Sansa that we had never seen before. That chapter shows a very strong Sansa who, to me, felt comfortable in her own skin in a way that she had not been able to since her father died. She actually laughs and laughter is not something that I would associate with Sansa in this series. This chapter also launches what I believe will be her next major story arc as well as provides glimpses of what roles Sansa may play as we learn about the sweetsleep for little Robert, further LF scheming, her potential friendship with Randa, her reflections on Sandor, and her betrothal that we know she does not want.

My favorite Sansa chapter is hard to choose (because I love most of them anyway) but... I'd agree with those who say her final chapter of ASOS (in hot competition with the same from AFFC).

I like that chapter because she's finally escaped the Lannisters and the worst of her abuse. She finally gets the opportunity to reflect on her losses and some of what she's been surpressing as she builds her snow castle and she finally begins to try to stand up for herself somewhat now that she feels as though she's in a position to do so without being battered. Examples would be how she confronted LF for lying about taking her home and how she reflected angrily on Lysa's summation of her as a beggar and intended to refuse to marry Sweetrobin.

In AFFC, you definitely see a young woman instead of a little girl and I like that too. Her reflections back on her unKiss, descending the mountain, her relationship with Mya and Myranda (which I hope to see more of), and the presentation of yet another unwanted husband -- in many ways it was a cliffhanger chapter but it set up a lot of stuff that I'm feeling rather hopefull about.

My favourite Sansa chapter is the one in ASoS when she weds Tyrion-it's like a sample of her personality. Her pride when she decides to go through the ceremony with dignity and her refusal to kneel. Her compassion when she kisses Tyrion of her own accord and when she tries to find something appealing about him.

@Kittykatknits - yes, the scene between her and Sandor at the BBW is my favourite scene of any scene in the series :)

Didn't someone here describe this scene as the culmination of all of them that had come before? I thought that was a very accurate description.

My favourite Sansa chapter is the one in ASoS when she weds Tyrion-it's like a sample of her personality. Her pride when she decides to go through the ceremony with dignity and her refusal to kneel. Her compassion when she kisses Tyrion of her own accord and when she tries to find something appealing about him.

I can understand that and you are right about seeing all the different facets of Sansa in this chapter. But, for me, all of the chapters in Storm during their marriage are physically hard for me to read. She's in so much pain for that and her misery just leaps off the page to me to the point that I can feel it myself.

I agree with all of you that my favorite Sansa scene is the one with Sandor at the end of the BBB, but like Lyanna and KittyKatKnits my favorite chapter as a whole is her last one in Feast. My second favorite Sansa scene is in this chapter, when she takes Sweetrobin fearlessly over the land saddle. I think I was holding my breath as I read that and I just picuture it in my head with everyone watching them and holding their breath waiting to see if they'll make it. And though the title of this chapter is Alayne, as she is crossing the land saddle the wind howls and she thinks as Sansa that it reminds her of a wolf and she gains strength from it. Sansa does seem happy in this chapter as Lyanna noted, but the way I think of it is that it's the most hopeful one that we have seen in a while. She is finally getting away from the isolation that has surrounded her for so long, and may even have a chance to make some friends with young women near her own age, which she craves so much.

I also love how she thinks of Jon in this chapter - that it would be so sweet to see him again! Her masquerading as a bastard child will now give her a new perspective on what Jon had to go through and I am sure it will change how she views him from now on. If they should ever meet again (I so hope they do) I doubt she will refer to him as her "half-brother" in the condescending way she did when she was at Winterfell. But the thing I love most about that chapter is how the symbolism matches Sansa's character arc. She is both figuratively and literally getting her head out of the clouds and becoming more grounded in reality. In the end when Sansa flirts with the hedge knights she is indeed a different more mature and confident person than she was when she started out in AGOT, yet there is still an undertone that she is not completely safe both physically (did Shadrick recognize her?) and morally (will she aid LF in killing Sweetrobin?). It is such a great set up for the next phase of her story.

Didn't someone here describe this scene as the culmination of all of them that had come before? I thought that was a very accurate description.

Maybe that was me in the last thread :dunno: To be honest, I say so much about them I lose track :)

I also love how she thinks of Jon in this chapter - that it would be so sweet to see him again!

I actually wonder if Sansa thinking about Jon here (and he mentioning her right to Winterfell to Stannis) isn't significant since it ties those two together in a family bond again after having been separated and without any interaction for the entire series so far.

We know Arya thinks of Jon and Jon thinks of Arya, but we got mutual thoughts from both Sansa and Jon here on at least one occasion and I always tend to think that if some element of mutual interest of any kind, it is important. It feels like it's created a link between the siblings, that they do belong as a group.

I actually wonder if Sansa thinking about Jon here (and he mentioning her right to Winterfell to Stannis) isn't significant since it ties those two together in a family bond again after having been separated and without any interaction for the entire series so far.

We know Arya thinks of Jon and Jon thinks of Arya, but we got mutual thoughts from both Sansa and Jon here on at least one occasion and I always tend to think that if some element of mutual interest of any kind, it is important. It feels like it's created a link between the siblings, that they do belong as a group.

Hmmm, interesting. It might be foreshadowing that these will be the two who have a direct hand in rebuilding Winterfell... Jon has already been tempted with it, but he refused and cited Sansa as the heir. If his role isn't to be in the South on the Iron Throne next to Dany ;), then he and Sansa could join forces in the North.

I'm skeptical of this. I remember reading something along the lines of "I'm a bastard as well, I should see him, no Sansa had a bastard brother Alayne is an only child" or something like that,

I remember Jon thinking somewhat nice thoughts, Ygritee said her name's Ygritee and Jon was like that's pretty and then he thought Sansa said I should say that. Or somthing like that.

But I think for the most part Sansa looked upon Jon very... non brotherly. For instance she didn't get along with Arya so she decided mayhaps i don't have to love her mayhaps she's a bastard like Jon and proceeds to ask Cat if she was.

Basically I think Sansa would be happy to see Jon but wouldn't do anything treasonous (like Cat freeing Jaime) for him though she would for her sister and her Tully like brothers

Hmmm, interesting. It might be foreshadowing that these will be the two who have a direct hand in rebuilding Winterfell... Jon has already been tempted with it, but he refused and cited Sansa as the heir. If his role isn't to be in the South on the Iron Throne next to Dany ;), then he and Sansa could join forces in the North.

I don't know if this means anything or not but I just did a quick look-up of how often Jon mentions Sansa in Dance. He either thinks or talks about her four times. Once during his last chapter after receiving that letter from Ramsey and the other three times are in relation to Stannis and who WF belongs too.

Basically I think Sansa would be happy to see Jon but wouldn't do anything treasonous (like Cat freeing Jaime) for him though she would for her sister and her Tully like brothers

Sansa thinks her entire family, with the exception of Jon, is dead and believes that she is alone in the world, hoping to find someone that loves her for herself. I think this argument could be made with the Sansa in GOT but not after reading Feast. I very much think Sansa would do something like what Cat did if she thought it would help Jon. That WF built with snow was a strong indicator just what is important to Sansa.

Sansa thinks her entire family, with the exception of Jon, is dead and believes that she is alone in the world, hoping to find someone that loves her for herself. I think this argument could be made with the Sansa in GOT but not after reading Feast. I very much think Sansa would do something like what Cat did if she thought it would help Jon. That WF built with snow was a strong indicator just what is important to Sansa.

Doesn't that seem wrong then, Sansa wanting to be loved for herself not her title, yet she loves Jon for Winterfell (dead mom, dad, brothers, sister) not for him being her brother.

As for the snow and rebuilding of Winterfell I don't really know how to discuss this without mentioning the usurption of her brothers which for some reason is ill regarded in this threard :D

As for the snow and rebuilding of Winterfell I don't really know how to discuss this without mentioning the usurption of her brothers which for some reason is ill regarded in this threard :D

It's not usurption-she is older than her surviving brothers.

It's not usurption-she is older than her surviving brothers.

Huh? Her brothers (Bran, Rickon) come before her, this aint Dorne. And regardless Lady Arya Stark is legally the Lady of Wintefell by King Tommen's decree. And Jon is legal heir by Robb's decree, unless Westerling is knocked up, which she is

Even in the vauge chance Dany takes out Westeros but leaves the Starks alone they will still follow the laws of old and say leagally a women can't rule Winterfell

I have 0 doubt in my mind that Sansa will take Winterfell and most of the North, prefrebly the riverlands, etc, etc. But to say it's not usurpation is wrong

I don't know if this means anything or not but I just did a quick look-up of how often Jon mentions Sansa in Dance. He either thinks or talks about her four times. Once during his last chapter after receiving that letter from Ramsey and the other three times are in relation to Stannis and who WF belongs too.

Interesting. Sansa only has three chapters in AFFC, so it makes sense that she cannot harp on about Jon, but she still mentions him. And Jon mentions Sansa four times. It does create a link in readers' minds between them. Not as strong as the Jon/Arya one, but perhaps Jon despite being a "bastard" will be sort of the anchor the remaining Starks all gravitate towards? When he gets Rhollored, that is. Arya and Sansa both think of him, Bran knows Jon is alive and Rickon with Davos help is probably heading his way too.

I always figured Sansa's road to the North would go through the Riverlands, but looking at where it's pointing, thematically, and maybe if we consider that Sansa is doing a bit of the same journey as Cat did in AGOT (albeit not exactly, but some of the elements introduced in Cat AGOT is reintroduced in Sansa ASOS/AFFC), then she will probably go by boat to White Harbour and onwards up the White Knife perhaps? (Albeit if she is doing the inverse, starting at the Eyrie and moving downwards, she will end up at the Inn of the Crossroads, then KL, then Winterfell). I always did sort of figure that Sansa would take up Cat's role as politician/negotiator eventually.

My favorite moment in all the books (so far) has been the un-kiss moment, but even if in that chapter sansa showed a sort of queenly courage by calming the women when cersei abandoned them, i think overall, and as others have said, that's not my favorite chapter. It's a little hars though for me to choose one after some of the things you've all highlighted. I mean, i always enjoy reading a lot either the serpentine steps or the roof-top/first moonblood chapters, but the ones which could be considered as highlights in sansa's life are the last one in feasts or the last 2 from the third book. The last sansa chapter in storms has that beautiful moment where she is building the castle of snow and we get to see the girl we knew for the last time, but then lysa comes along and i just hate to read sansa's thoughts when she is about to be pushed out of the moondoor. It's just as bad as when she is married to tyrion i think, though with a less emotional theme... So a tie with her stay at the fingers and alayne coming down the mountain then?? :)

Archived