Minor POV becomes major POV in WOW?

ledlevee

Jon Snow seems to at least be out of commission for a while, and I for one think if he's still alive, he'll get very few if any POV's in the next book because he'll either be recovering or dead (or at least thought to be dead) for a while. So we need a POV at the wall, right? Bran will be the POV for the far north, and possibly Ghost warged by Jon as I suggested in another topic, but who will be the POV at the wall?

I personally think Melisandre's one POV chapter was introduced in Dance with Dragons so we could see a lot more of her in Winds of Winter. I think she's going to be the POV at the wall, and we'll find out through her what's going on with Jon and the Night's Watch. I also think we'll see the first signs of the Others invading Westeros through her eyes. Stannis might return to the wall eventually (assuming he's still alive) but I think he'll stay occupied at Winterfell, at least for a while. Davos will be on Skagos. Sam's going to be in Old Town. So for me, that leaves Melisandre for the logical choice for POV at the wall. I see her getting a lot more POV chapters.

Do you have any other ideas for minor POV characters who will become major, with a lot more chapters, in Winds of Winter? Or vice versa, major POV's who won't have many chapters in Winds of Winter? I think, judging from the name, this book will have a lot of stuff going on up north, so we might not see as much of Dany, Tyrion, and Dorne, for instance, but who knows? Other possibilities for characters who get more prominent roles could be Barristan Selmy and Victarion, at least in the first part of the book during the war in Meereen. We may also see a lot of Jon Connington as Aegon's invasion continues.

I believe Dany will be prominent in the WoW. Her meeting her old Khal will be another adventure. I don't care for Melisandre's POV because I don't like her. I would prefer someone else from the wall. Is Grenn still alive? or someone like that. I hope Brienne returns. I don't think she's dead, if she is then I hope she returns as UnBrienne or something.

I believe Skagos Island might provide a new POV. Maybe Rickon Stark might get his own POV?

I would love to see a Euron Greyjoy POV.

The anticipation of the next book is too much to bear.

Judging by how Martin used "Melisandre" as title instead of "The Red Priestess" or "The Fire's Servant" or something like that, I'm sure we will see Mel as a big POV. Other than that I don't expect any new POVs. Except some mindblowing epilogues / prologues. Now that we are in the last 2 books. George can really throw the shit towards the fan: Varys, Littlefinger, Howland Reed,Hound, Tommen, Doran, Qyborn, Marywn..could all be great epilgoue / prologue POVs.

I wish he would go back to basics on the POV front and focus on those belonging to characters we met in books 1 - 3 (my sneaky way of getting Brienne and Cercei in there, as well as Asha, while avoiding most Dorne/Greyjoy people). I am sad to hear that he reportedly regrets not including a Robb POV. I think that choice was brilliant, and is a large part of why the leadup to the Red Wedding worked so well. I thought Jon Connington was 900 times more interesting through Tyrion's eyes then when we actually saw him through his own POV. I also think it would force him to be more disciplined and more creative in terms of restricting himself to a smaller set of locations and thinking about how to move the plot forward so there are POVs in place where truly necessary. For example, if Tyrion had gotten to Dany faster (I would assume he will?), we wouldn't have needed the Barristan POVs at all, we could have seen the aftermath of Dany's disappearance through Tyrion's eyes, and the info about Aerys/Varys/Rhaegar and Barristan's love of Ashara Dayne could have come out in conversation through Tyrion, even if he was a prisoner or whatever - people love to bear their souls to prisoners in this series. Similarly, let us wonder what Jon Con and Young Griff are up too until we find out they've shown up in Westeros from Cercei/Kevan/Arianne. It keeps things a little more mysterious and interesting.

I believe Dany will be prominent in the WoW. Her meeting her old Khal will be another adventure. I don't care for Melisandre's POV because I don't like her. I would prefer someone else from the wall. Is Grenn still alive? or someone like that. I hope Brienne returns. I don't think she's dead, if she is then I hope she returns as UnBrienne or something.

I believe Skagos Island might provide a new POV. Maybe Rickon Stark might get his own POV?

I would love to see a Euron Greyjoy POV.

The anticipation of the next book is too much to bear.

GRRM has promised not to include any new POV's in any future books. The Skagos POV will be Davos. As far as the Wall goes, Melisandre is the only character there we've seen a POV for other than Jon, and I don't think Jon's going to be around for a while. Yeah, I can't wait for the next book, either. Hopefully it's not another five years before it comes out. I'm hoping to see it in 2014 or 2015. Might be wishful thinking on my part, though.

Judging by how Martin used "Melisandre" as title instead of "The Red Priestess" or "The Fire's Servant" or something like that, I'm sure we will see Mel as a big POV. Other than that I don't expect any new POVs. Except some mindblowing epilogues / prologues. Now that we are in the last 2 books. George can really throw the shit towards the fan: Varys, Littlefinger, Howland Reed,Hound, Tommen, Doran, Qyborn, Marywn..could all be great epilgoue / prologue POVs.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the final chapter of the whole series. That would be a cool time to break out a Varys POV, but my money's on Tyrion.

I hope to the Old Gods and New he doesn't introduce any more PoVs. Dance suffered enough as was from the overabundance of PoVs, and considering he's already planning on bringing more into the next book, he's going to have a hard enough time as is managing what he already has on the plate.

I'm hoping to see a Maege Mormont point of view pretty soon. Maybe even of Osha :/

I don't think taht's gonna happen. People say that GRRM said there would be no new POVs, except for prologue/epilogue.

So if I'm to choose those who have already been POVs, I would choose anyone as long as s/he is not pious. They suck, Victarion, Damphair and Mel kill me with their piety.

I've been re-reading the series looking for any mention of shadows because of a few things grrm has said. He said no character would go farther east then they've been, given the timeline of only 2 books left and these words it seems we will never see ashai. Second when asked who knows who Jon's parents are he said "The Shadow knows" I am of the opinion that mel is altering her appearance with the help of her red necklace. adding in her own comments about not needing food, and her obvious magical powers, I am wondering if Mel is the shadow. She gives birth to shadows, and is actually in a place to tell jon who his parents are. Im not saying she has known all along, but perhaps she will find out and tell him.

Hopefully these are all the POV's we'll have:

-Bran in the far North, giving us info on the Others, etc.

-Mel at the Wall, watching everything go down. Be interesting to see her reactions to everything.

-Davos in Skagos and coming back to Stannis. Probably heavier in the first half or two thirds of the book.

-Jon, depending on when and how he gets resurrected, will take over some the Bran and/or Mel niches.

-Dany

-Tyrion

-Sansa

-Arya

People that are necessary, but we don't need a lot of:

-Sam - hopefully he ends up alongside someone else so he isn't necessary.

-Cersei, hopefully/probably dying by the halfway point.

-Jaime, limited role.

-JonCon OR Arianne, we don't need both.

People I could live without:

-Asha

-Damphair

-Any Dorne

-Brienne; Jaime should cover it.

-Barristan and Victarion past the first couple of chapters.

Mel givea birth to shadow because she is a shadowbinder = she has power to control it,use it.

Het obvious magical powers? most of the time she manipulates people around her.

is shadowbinder a term we see in the book? but secondly, ya her obvious magical powers... she burns rattlesnake looking like mance, and made mance look like rattlesnake, she made stanniss' sword glow, she gave birth to a shadow- twice, and she can see the future in fires, pretty sure thats magic, not to mention ghosts feelings towards her, the fact that she doesn't eat, and that from Jon's pov we are told she actually gives off heat

GRRM has promised not to include any new POV's in any future books. The Skagos POV will be Davos. As far as the Wall goes, Melisandre is the only character there we've seen a POV for other than Jon, and I don't think Jon's going to be around for a while. Yeah, I can't wait for the next book, either. Hopefully it's not another five years before it comes out. I'm hoping to see it in 2014 or 2015. Might be wishful thinking on my part, though.

Technically Euron could be a Prologue or Epilogue POV. So we could technically get a Euron one.

I've been re-reading the series looking for any mention of shadows because of a few things grrm has said. He said no character would go farther east then they've been, given the timeline of only 2 books left and these words it seems we will never see ashai. Second when asked who knows who Jon's parents are he said "The Shadow knows" I am of the opinion that mel is altering her appearance with the help of her red necklace. adding in her own comments about not needing food, and her obvious magical powers, I am wondering if Mel is the shadow. She gives birth to shadows, and is actually in a place to tell jon who his parents are. Im not saying she has known all along, but perhaps she will find out and tell him.

You know I was wondering the same thing about Melisandra's appearance. Specifically whether she is as young and beautiful as she seems to be. Most of the skilled wizards (for lack of a better word) in the series have been older than she appears.

is shadowbinder a term we see in the book? but secondly, ya her obvious magical powers... she burns rattlesnake looking like mance, and made mance look like rattlesnake, she made stanniss' sword glow, she gave birth to a shadow- twice, and she can see the future in fires, pretty sure thats magic, not to mention ghosts feelings towards her, the fact that she doesn't eat, and that from Jon's pov we are told she actually gives off heat

Yes,term that we see when she is introduced in the ACoK prologue.

She uses optical illusions and tricks,and manipulates other people into believing her prowess.Seeing visions in fire is part of her training as a priestess,we can't call it magic.

True,she does give birth to shadows,but it appears to be a diffrent skill - shadowbinding.

There is a nice theory why Ghost was attracted to her,fire (Jon's true heritage,represented by Ghost and his blazing eyes) attracts fire.

She doesn't eat,but I think there is more to that,we'll see.

Archived