Your opinion of Margaery Tyrell

Batman

Smarter than Cersei? 100% without a doubt, but that's not saying much at all. I think Margaery is ambitious and has learned a lot from her grandmother. Right now she's in training to be a player. I think she has a promising future if she keeps going the way she is. I think HBO played her up to be a little more of a player than she actually is, however. But I think she's definitely smart and savvy, otherwise Cersei wouldn't have been so intimidated by her.

Marge is a character that I am desperate to learn more about, though sadly I think her role in the story is about to come to an end.

I hope you're right.

However, I don't think you're right. The Faith knows she's innocent (or so I believe they know) and she demanded trial by Faith. She will be released, Cersei's power has come to an end, Kevan Lannister is killed (sadly enough, he was the only Lannister with good and moral sense) and thus the Tyrells will actually 'rule'. Unless someone kills her while under Tarly's custody, I really see her surviving the books. I just hope she will stay in the Reach with the rest of her family.

no, that's not what I hope. I hope she dies, along with her family. (except Garlan and Willas)

I think Margaery is GREAT at presenting herself as innocent, nice, friendly, good, etc. But she's really just playing the game. I don't know if she wanted the crown for herself (the QOT makes it sound like it's all Mace's idea) but she collaborates with her family's plans, and probably has her own interestes too. She has a lot more support and guidance than Cersei but they are both ambitious women.

I like Margaery as a character, but I don't think she is smarter than Cersei. I also read her way more innocent in the books than was presented in the series (duh). I guess I was destined to be surprised when she came out to be a total schemer. I always thought she was astute, but I still saw her as going with the flow rather than rowing her own boat. Guess I was wrong.

I wonder if she'll be married to anyone at the end of the story. She's proved such a bad omen that the possibility seems dubious but she is still a Tyrell.

lol she's like a black widow. I think she knows too, because when Joff dies the QoT is like "the boy choked, it's nothing to do with you".

Maybe she's playing a long game. Maybe she wants to marry someone else entirely and is going through her father's games so that in the end he'll just let her choose whoever she wants to marry.

I like her because she's one of the only characters who shows that good people are capable of playing the game competently. And she completely dominates her age category (see: Sansa, Robb, Joffrey, Theon, the list goes on)...

I love that girl, and her grandmother too. There's a lot still ambiguous about her, but I think she's a got a good balance of savvy, ruthlessness, and generosity, and she knows when to appropriately apply each of those traits. She's a good leader and great at PR.

(My bf has only see TV!Marge so far and he immediately decided that she kicks ass.)

One thing I can't quite pin down is

1) how deliberate were the Tyrells about framing Sansa, Tyrion, or both for Joffrey's murder? Posters here seem to take it as given, but all I got from the text is that Littlefinger arranged for the dwarf entertainers in order to make Tyrion show anger and look guilty. They did give her the hairnet, but note that no one ever noticed its role in the murder. (If I were her, I'd be delighted to have contributed to that regicide, but I'm not nearly as nice as Sansa.)

2) and assuming some of the Tyrells framed them on purpose, how much was Margaery in on it, then, as opposed to the QoT?

One of the more unguarded Margaery moments that we see (though rather less satisfying than her outburst towards Cersei) is the heartbroken look she gave Sansa when she married Tyrion. There's no political reason for her to do this -- it doesn't get her anything, Sansa's not in a position to do anything for her at that point, and she'd be safer keeping her game-face on in public.

ETA: She's also chaste, would never use sex to get ahead, not ambitious for power in and of itself, and poses no threat to the patriarchy on the whole; so she pretty much gets a free pass from the author.

I don't quite agree. Someone earlier referred to Sansa as having a "plot chastity belt" (as opposed to plot armor). Margaery's got Schrödinger's hymen. She's not, as far as I can tell, chaste because that's What Good Girls Do. She's very careful to always always always have an alibi -- for all her scheming Cersei can't ever place her alone with a man because she's always surrounded by family. That's a very smart, calculated decision. At this stage in her life, in her society, public perception of her virginity (whether it's technical, genuine, or 'official') is a very valuable asset, and she's protecting it very well. See also Queen Elizabeth 1, who was a fantastic player in RL. That is currently the most effective way for her to "use sex to get ahead" -- or rather to use the *potential* of sex and offspring to get ahead.

Once she's wedded, bedded, and produced an heir, other ways of using her sexuality become feasible, and I'm curious to see what she'd do then.

Throwing her ladybits around at the wrong moment isn't going to be an effective challenge to the patriarchy, because she'd be throwing away the power she has now before she's able to latch onto a more permanent source of power and get into a position where she can really move things around.

And I think she's playing with too much commitment to just be doing it out of duty to her family. If nothing else, maybe she started to enjoy sticking it to Cersei. :)

I too disagree concerning her chastity. I don't think it's at all clear that Margaery is necessarily chaste - at the very least she has a healthy flirtatious side (unlike Sansa, who is halfway a Septa), and Highgarden does seem to be the jet-set of Westeros. It could be she has a rather Dornish view of sexuality, but is extraordinarily careful given her array of enemies.

Either way I don't think this reflects at all on her inherent goodness.

She is a good mummer, with her grandma teaching her the fine art of role playing, and except for willas, as far as I know they all just wanted to throw Sansa and Tyrion into a fire storm.

lol she's like a black widow. I think she knows too, because when Joff dies the QoT is like "the boy choked, it's nothing to do with you".

Maybe she's playing a long game. Maybe she wants to marry someone else entirely and is going through her father's games so that in the end he'll just let her choose whoever she wants to marry.

I think she doesn't really care who she winds up with, as long as she gets power and security. She knows she won't get stuck in an abusive or unsafe situation. If she already knows how to hide a sexual relationship with her lover(s) of choice, she can afford to marry whoever's most convenient or conducive to her goals. She can have her cake and eat it too.

I like her. She and Renly would have been good as monarchs. Shes very mature about doing her duty for her family and say what you like about Tyrells; they are tight. I mean suggesting that you're fine with your brother exciting your gay husband if it'll give you a child? Thats commitment. I mean talk about taking one for team Tyrell! Whilst she does try to turn Tommen against Cersei, I don't think its mean spirited and totally insincere. Same with Loras wanting to have Tommen as his squire. These sorts of bonds are in the family interest and will make things a lot easier if they come naturally. Plus, Margery is what Cersei wants to be or her own younger self-image.

I actually think she is still a maid. Mainly because of the Renly/Loras persepctive in the HBO show and I can't imagine a Tyrell compromising the family goal. Perhaps there was some other reason she would want milk of the poppy from Pycelle?

She married her own brother's gay lover, a teenage psychopath and an eight year old, one after the other, without so much as flinching at the ridiculousness of it all, just to be Queen. Say what you want about her, she's definitely got the eye of the tiger.

Archived