Which word in Westeros bothers you?

"Usurper," specifically when uttered by Dany and especially when used in the possessive preceding "dogs."

Amen!! It really got me when she prompts Ser Barristan telling a story with "this was the young usurper right?

I love craven. Have been wanting to use it in conversation just can't ever slide it in

Turnkey = Gaoler Seems quite simplistic since gaolers did more than that (like torturing, beheading)

Turnip, Auroch, Shadowcat, grumkins = I do not know what these are.

Teats = Women female parts should no be confused with cows milking parts. It's disgusting.

Eh what? These are turnips.

Yes!!! What the hell is a nuncle??? who says that??? Even the grammar checker flagged nuncle :). I also hate lamprays, do people really eat them?? I never heard of it, and actually never saw a lamprey in the flesh.

I guess turnips annoy me a little, because they are everywhere, and although I live in Europe, I've never eaten one. But at the same time they are a little funny :)

Yes!!! What the hell is a nuncle??? who says that??? Even the grammar checker flagged nuncle :). I also hate lamprays, do people really eat them?? I never heard of it, and actually never saw a lamprey in the flesh.

I guess turnips annoy me a little, because they are everywhere, and although I live in Europe, I've never eaten one. But at the same time they are a little funny :)

I am one of those hideous useless Americans, and I have eaten hot mashed turnips, floating in butter. A man can use neeps. A man gets cold in New England.

Your avatar is very cool.

Obviously, I have been on an "Arrested Development" kick. Buster just cracks me up - actually, that whole show does. I wish I could add sound effects to my avatar - it would be the music they always play before GOB does a really stupid magic trick. :)

Someone around here has an avatar photo of Tobias in his 'blue man' paint that is hysterical.

"The final countdown" by Europe!!!

I'm a big fan, too! :D

Anyway, not being a native speaker I don't mind many of the words used in the books... I just assume they are normal words that I didn't know.

So, now I must be careful not to use them in real life.

Like, at work in an English-speaking meeting: "This procedure is as useful as nipples on a breastplate".

*Akward silence*

The usual: teats, flowered :ack: , moonblood, nightsoil, broke fast, must needs

As for phrases: "took his seed"(uggghhh) and "almost a man/woman grown". That last one especially refers to Bran. You are like nine freaking years old!

Bastard because it's an insult and no one should be alode to insult a kid.

Wench, jape because I had to look to dictionary to find what they meen and after I saw it I was like :rolleyes:.

Mayhaps just because I can't understand it.

I like mummer. :dunno:

I actually like it when Walder Frey says "heh". He's like a medieval Beavis or Butthead.

That's the same thing that I thought every time that I read it! :rofl:

Pissing.

No.More.Pissing.

or making water

Smallfolk. They're serfs not midgets.

Right. And I also agree with everyone who said teats, arse, nuncle, & mayhaps.

I agree with 'smallfolk'. It reminds me of when politicians say they want this or that for the good of 'the little folks' (A literal translation into English, they mean the 'regular' or 'common' voter.) I always thought it sounds horribly condescending.

"Must needs..." really bothers me for some reason. I can't explain it. As well as the word "bastard" especially when someone is referring to Jon. I mean we get that he's a bastard, we don't need to be reminded another fifty million times. And "nipples on a breastplate" is getting old really fast.

Archived