Which word in Westeros bothers you?

None in particular, other than ser... was changing the i to an e really necessary?

Also don't like the six and thirty as opposed to saying thirty six...maybe its just to get his word count up XD.

Nothing else really...though it makes me laugh, the fact this thread exists is either testament to the fact his work is so good you can only pick apart what words he uses or its testament to to the fact that his fans are extreme nit pickers XD...actually it might be the second.

As to the hating of the word arse...well it is the proper way to talk about a butt hole, an ass is a donkey or mule. Ass is like frick and similar words, made or incorporated by American's so that they could effectively swear in casual conversation, I suppose to avoid causing offense whilst still being able to use the proper "swear words".

Also the word wench is supposed to be degrading, they are looking down on whores after all, and women in general, I can't get annoyed by it because its completely fitting with the period this is supposed to mirror.

Rightful heir .

This is the best. 

I am somewhat bothered by the use of the word "maid" instead of "maiden". I know there was Maid Marian and all, but due to how the word evolved in real life, when a book speaks of a "maiden" I picture a young woman in a medieval setting and when a book speaks of a "maid" I picture a stereotypical domestic.  

I am somewhat bothered by the use of the word "maid" instead of "maiden". I know there was Maid Marian and all, but due to how the word evolved in real life, when a book speaks of a "maiden" I picture a young woman in a medieval setting and when a book speaks of a "maid" I picture a stereotypical domestic.

Despite my lack of knowledge of the language, I suppose she's Maid Marian instead of Maiden because Maiden Marian sounds a bit.. cacophonous? Something like when in Spanish we have two words for "Saint". San and Santo. We used Santo to avoid saying "San Tomas", so it's Santo Tomas".

Interesting note on "Ser".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero

The word hero comes from the Greek ἥρως (hērōs), "hero, warrior", particularly one such as Heracles with divine ancestry or later given divine honors.[1] literally "protector" or "defender".[2] Before the decipherment of Linear B the original form of the word was assumed to be *ἥρωϝ-, hērōw-; R. S. P. Beekes has proposed a Pre-Greek origin.[3]

According to the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, the Indo-European root is *ser meaning "to protect". According to Eric Partridge in Origins, the Greek word Hērōs "is akin to" the Latin seruāre, meaning to safeguard. Partridge concludes, "The basic sense of both Hera and hero would therefore be 'protector'."

I may be in the minority. But there's really no word that bothers me. And that even applies to every swear word. 

I like the way GRRM plays with words and that each character has a different set of vocabulary. That's simply great.

Despite my lack of knowledge of the language, I suppose she's Maid Marian instead of Maiden because Maiden Marian sounds a bit.. cacophonous? Something like when in Spanish we have two words for "Saint". San and Santo. We used Santo to avoid saying "San Tomas", so it's Santo Tomas".

Yeah i know maid is technically a perfectly good word to use, it is just the shortened form for maiden. It''s just every time I encounter it in ASoIaF I feel the urge to add the missing letters. I.E. "Brienne, the maiden of Tarth" "The Shy Maiden" "A maiden of three and ten" It just sounds nicer to me...more complete somehow. 

I love this thread! Thank you, thank you.The word ( besides nuncle, which I think is just stupid) that makes me grit my teeth is seneschal. I hate that word. Why not just say, perfumed 'steward', already? It sounds so pompous and stilted. Instead it's a constant, "Beware the perfumed seneschal." Blech.I love the word 'coz' when Jaime says it. But then, I pretty much love everything Jaime says and does. :)

Now that you mention it. Yes, seneschal is annoying...

Archived