Which word in Westeros bothers you?

Not quite an answer to the thread, but I hate "Hodor" with a flaming passion. I hate that it's even become a buzzword that I see all over the place.

Kitty, this surprises me about you. I did not figure you for a 'Hodor Hater'.

I actually like the word 'snark' and am suspicious that I am one in Westeros as well as real world....

Lol, well, to be clear...I'm on the Hodor the word hate train, not Hodor the character. Does that redeem me a little bit?

Ha! Yes, it does, although I wouldn't bear you a grudge if you didn't like the character, I just would have been surprised based on what I 'know' about you through your posts. :)

I remember nuncle was in our linguism 1 exam asking us it was an example of which usual lingual shift. I have forgotten the stupid scientific term for it but the word was created when some English people misheard "an uncle" as "a nuncle" and the word was coined, so the shift is the one where a word's head is shoved into another one's ass. (So lets call it Hanckock Procedure).

Now the point is, I hated the instructor, the exam, and the fact that a literature student was forced to take an unrelated course.

Every time I read "nuncle" I was reminded of that dreadful course. So, although the rest of you might dislike the sound of "nuncle", I'm the one who has a history of personal grudge against it.

When I researched that word, I found that it was actually combining two words. Mine and uncle, which becomes nuncle. Much like Mine Eddard becomes Ned.

The nuncle bothered me, but I really appreciated the fact that it showed a regional term. It was a great bit of world building. In the series, only the Ironborn use it, though there was one Frey who used it once. May have been a typo or may indicate that the Frey spent time with the ironborn.

Not quite an answer to the thread, but I hate "Hodor" with a flaming passion. I hate that it's even become a buzzword that I see all over the place.

Hey! You take that back!!!!! :P

Jaime, given it's supposed to be pronounced Jay-Mee. It could have been a typo back then during AGOT publication.

That one doesn't bother me, though I always thought that spelling was reserved as the feminine version of Jamie. For girls its more commonly spelled that way ( http://www.behindthename.com/name/jaime-2 ). Some of the other names that are spelled weird just for the heck of it are irritating though, if the name is changed slightly it seems to have more of a point that just changing a few of the letters. The one that bothers me the most is "Jeyne", since I think "Jane" looks so much prettier. I don't care for Alys either (is it Alice or Allies?).

I agree with all those who already mentioned "nuncle", "mayhaps" and "break their fast". The other one that bugs me is "not unkindly", why not just say "kindly"?

I agree with all those who already mentioned "nuncle", "mayhaps" and "break their fast". The other one that bugs me is "not unkindly", why not just say "kindly"?

Because it isn't "kindly" but it also isn't "unkind".

I actually kind of like all of the "mayhaps", "mislikes", "must needs", and "on the morrows". I don't completely mind "nuncle" either. It hasn't been overused, and it seems to be delivered with a certain tongue-in-cheek tone (Somewhat like oft facetious "sweet sister", which has been a bit overused).

I agree with those who have noted that "whore" has really lost its charm (along with teats). I also agree about "usurper's dogs".

Archived