Most complex characters?

Doran and Varys for sure, there is nothing more complex than guys playing a GAME for 17 years...As for the others, Sansa, Tyrion and Theon aree good picks...

I don't think that "mysterious" and "complex" should be treated as synonyms. We don't know enough about Varys to be able to judge on his complexity, same with Melisandre.

Complex characters are usually the characters who are least mysterious - the characters we know a great deal of information about, whose personalities we see in action and whose underlying emotional traumas are most visible. These characters would include Tyrion, Sandor, Robert, Jaime, Catelyn, Stannis, Brienne, Arya... in short, a great deal of POVs, since we have a clear insight into their thoughts and we can see their 'complexity' in action. Sandor's complexity is obvious even without being a POV, Stannis's complexity is thanks to Davos's chapters, which are so Stannis-centered that he may as well be a POV, and Robert's complexity is shown through Ned's chapters in AGoT and Cersei's in AFfC.

If I had to pick a most complex character, it probably would be someone whose attitude is not one and the same - like Ned, who wears his suit of honor no matter who he's dealing with - but someone whose attitude changes depending the person they're addressing, such as Catelyn, Tyrion, and Jaime.

A special note to be made about Sandor: while it is true that his entire personality seems to be balanced on the singular event of being assaulted by his brother, that doesn't mean he's any less complicated than characters like Jaime and Robert, whose complexity comes from five or six different points. A singular powerful moment in a character's history can be as effective in shaping out an intriguing personality as several moderate ones.

I don't find Brienne complex...

Nor do I, but I adore her nonetheless. Ned wasn't complex either, though he had a very complex past and complex set of demons haunting him.

Brienne, despite her lack of complexity, does learn and grow along her journey.

One of my favourites is Jaime, mainly because of how complex his character AND his situation are...

EDIT: Not that the other characters aren't complex, but Jaime especially struck me as very complex. But yeah, in a series like ASoIaF, there's depth to every single character.

Varys is a must his backstory and how he became so powerful in King Aerys court. The Hound is another great character and I'm interested as to what he will do if it comes out that Robert Strong is in fact just a reborn Gregor. Tyrion also interests me especially just how much he is like Tywin although he despised and killed him.

You don't?

Her worship of Renley and the transference to the Kingslayer?

Not to mention her self worth and body image issues, or the tremendous amount of strength and courage it took and continues to take to be the person she wants to be in the face of huge obstacles. Brienne is absolutely a complex character.

Not to mention her self worth and body image issues, or the tremendous amount of strength and courage it took and continues to take to be the person she wants to be in the face of huge obstacles. Brienne is absolutely a complex character.

Loveable, admirable but not especially complex, in my opinion.

She's relentlessly courageous, principled, stubborn, etc. Similar to how Ned Stark was. And she has her weaknesses too (her insecurity and soft-heartedness), but I think her motives, decisions and thinking tend to be very straightforward.

Brienne is my favorite character; I don't always go for the complicated ones; I adore her purity and tenacity.

To me a complex character is one that offers the widest range of human experiences and emotions, someone who is capable of the worst and the best, who has experienced the deepest sadness and cruelty and who is as well capable to feel the joy of being alive - and who has the potential to change face in a very unexpected manner.

To be complex a character has to present a certain amount of reflectiveness and introspection. He or she needs a rich background story, rooted in history or personal ordeals and experiences. Of course those informations about a particular character are best given by a POV. The typical example here is Tyrion for me, and Jaime deceived us all as seeming rather plainly structured - until we got his POV. Cat is someone where even a POV could not highlight all dimensions while in Sansa's case being a POV promises more than the character is able to keep so far. And characters like Davos and Sam deceive us into taking them for easy to digest, something they are not at all.

Those non POVs who are sufficiently enigmatic can easily serve as projection surface for alleged complexity.

Though we have good reason to believe that players like Varys and Baelish are complex characters we can only guess and follow the observations of others when it comes to e.g. Stannis, Mance Rayder, Sandor, Olenna or Oberyn - and Ed Tollet and Missandei, the most underestimated.

Archived