Where is Daenerys going?

LaroC

First of all, Dany is dying of the bloody flux so she can't get very far. That's probably fine for her since she never knew Westeros to begin with. All she yearns for is the house with the red door in Braavos. That's her home and her happy ending. She will make it back there before dying. Luckily someone else lives in Braavos that can take her face, identity, and warg that dragon to continue the mission to Westeros.

I can honestly say...I don't know. I keep getting the feeling that after GRRM scrapped the 5 year gap it really screwed over the POV's of many of his characters, mainly Dany and Arya. With only 2 books left, and if he keeps it going the extremely sluggish pace of the last 2 books she won't be doing anything of note.

Simply put:

"I am no lady," the widow replied, "just Vogarro's whore. You want to be gone from here before the tigers come. Should you reach your queen, giver her a message from the slaves of Old Volantis." She touched the faded scar upon her wrinkled cheek, where her tears had been cut away. " Tell her we are waiting. Tell her to come soon."

Dany is strong at liberating, but weak at following through. Vogarro's whore has thought of nothing else. She will be the leader that settles the East...and allows Dany to move on towards the West I believe the Iron Bank of Braavos will assist her in that. Although, it has been educational for Dany to learn the repercussions of her decisions. For example...you never take hostages unless you are prepared to use them. Even honorable Eddard Stark and the past Starks shortened a few when the Hill People acted up.

Things will change when Tyrion is at her shoulder....and won't that be fun?

Vaes Dothrak isnt near Valyria

If this is in reference to me, I meant she would pass it on her way from Vaes Dothrak to Volantis.

First of all, Dany is dying of the bloody flux so she can't get very far. That's probably fine for her since she never knew Westeros to begin with. All she yearns for is the house with the red door in Braavos. That's her home and her happy ending. She will make it back there before dying. Luckily someone else lives in Braavos that can take her face, identity, and warg that dragon to continue the mission to Westeros.

... I give Dany's chances of having the bloody flux as less than R+L=J not being true.

If this is in reference to me, I meant she would pass it on her way from Vaes Dothrak to Volantis.

... I give Dany's chances of having the bloody flux as less than R+L=J not being true.

Valyria isnt near Volantis either . I dont believe Dany has bloody flux .What i took from the description of Danys illness was that she had

a miscarriage.

She will return to Westeros eventually, there would be no point of the whole series if the Ice and Fire never actually intertwined eventually. She won't be returning to Westeros via Asshai, but she could (not too possible) still pass under the shadow, which I think would mean abandoning her people and asking them to make their own way to Westeros, but considering the geography of the planet being partially unmapped, it could be that passing under the shadow isn't as dangerous as it sounds, and could be easily done. However I think she will turn back on herself and travel back with Victarion perhaps, who has enough ships (and ships to take) for her armies, and for her freed people and then denounce herself of Queen of Mereen. I'm most certain she will come back, but shit will go down on her way back (obviously).

Yeah it could be an 'Aragorn taking the Paths of the Dead' situation. Only his most loyal and fearless companions go with him. It's a trial he must face to sort of prove his worth as King. Perhaps that's Dany's fate too, in Asshai and the Shadowlands. Unless "the shadow" means something totally unexpected like the oceans. Dany riding a Kraken! :D

What about this explanation for "The Shadow," which also could tie up a couple other loose ends:

1- "The Shadow" in the prophecy does not refer to specifically "The Shadow by Assahi." Instead, it simple means a shadow. And, where could a shadow be found? What about in the part of the world where the see is called "The Smoking Sea" (Couldn't smoke create a shadow?) or where volcanoes tore the land apart. What if "The Shadow" that Daenerys must 'pass under' under exists in old Valyria, home of her ancestors?

2- For those who read the books in depth, it seams somewhat obvious that the movies have misportrayed Daenerys to be more powerful/magical than she is. IE, she is not immune to fire, her dragons do not automatically follow her orders, etc.. So, she must somehow learn the train Drogon (as, per DwD a rider can only have one Dragon: "Even Aegon the Cnqueror didn't try to mount..." p670). Now, it is likely that Tyrion and Marwaryn the maester will help her somewhat, but what better place to become a true dragonlord than in old Valyria herself.

3- It makes geographic sense. If the remains of the Volantis' fleet (captured by the Iron Fleet) were to be used to transport her army towards Volantis and Westeros, it must navigate around Valyria. Further, it seems likely that Daenerys will be riding Drogon during the journey, and it isn't out of the question that Valyria still possesses something that 'beckons' her or her dragons to it. Thus, while the fleet is sailing Daenerys would be able to 'cut out' into Valyria, meeting up with the fleet on the other side.

4- While in Valyria, Daenerys could finish one of those character changes that appears to have started in the wilderness with Drogon. With how rare it is for someone to enter old Valyria and survive, no one knows what could exist there that could help her (or hurt her).

Anyway, just a thought I had.

... yes it is, it's right on the way between the two cities i named.

if you were sailing even then its not near ....its on the way only because theres a land mass blocking the way.

@ Eris ive read the books in depth and i dont believe the HBO series has overstated Danys magic as you put it. I

dont agree with your assertion that Dany is not Immune to fire. Where you seen Daenerys easily controlling her

Dragons i dont know.

if you were sailing even then its not near ....its on the way only because theres a land mass blocking the way.

@ Eris ive read the books in depth and i dont believe the HBO series has overstated Danys magic as you put it. I

dont agree with your assertion that Dany is not Immune to fire. Where you seen Daenerys easily controlling her

Dragons i dont know.

Reading a map really isn't hard, if you sailed you would literally have to sail right around it, the map is in Dance and Victarion and Tyrion both sail right past it.

Dragons i dont know.

From SSM: (a webchat GRRM did in '99)

Granny - Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?

George_RR_Martin - Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.

Revanshe - So she won't be able to do it again?

George_RR_Martin - Probably not.

So typically GRRM to put in a "probably" at the end :drunk:

Why are readers so adamant about Dany jumping through hoops (and shadows) or sailing around the world in wooden ships with a fire breathing dragon? Not to mention, do it all in less than one and a half books. Dany has not shown any real interest in going to Westeros. People are also lying to her about Weserosis yearning for her return while there are people in Essos that actually are waiting for her to come free them. My bet is that Dany never gets to Westeros. Perhaps she would have if GRRM had kept the story short.

Why are readers so adamant about Dany jumping through hoops (and shadows) or sailing around the world in wooden ships with a fire breathing dragon? Not to mention, do it all in less than one and a half books. Dany has not shown any real interest in going to Westeros. People are also lying to her about Weserosis yearning for her return while there are people in Essos that actually are waiting for her to come free them. My bet is that Dany never gets to Westeros. Perhaps she would have if GRRM had kept the story short.

Because the entire series is based around Westeros?

Daenery's part of it, so far, has been a personal journey for her/building up for the climax (ie, her dragons growing).

Now, it is entirely possible that she dies before making it to Westeros. But, if we accept that, the Dragons will still make it. Otherwise, her entire story will have been a waste of time- a way to remove a character from the mainland (such as Tyrion) and keep him going because he is popular. But, nothing GRRM does is because a character is popular or because its going nowhere.

Daenerys WILL get back to Westeros, and she will have at least 1 Dragon with her when she does.

Reading a map really isn't hard, if you sailed you would literally have to sail right around it, the map is in Dance and Victarion and Tyrion both sail right past it.

yes like i said if she sailed she would have to pass

a stretch of water near valyria , still doesnt mean she would pass it coming from vaes Dothrak like u stated earlier or move volantis into its vicinitiy.

@Thebutchercrow The question put to Grrm was are "Targaryens" immune to fire once they are bonded to Dragons. He doesnt reject the idea

that Dany is Immune from fire by being protected by magic at various different points it read to me like he was rejecting the idea that it was a hereditary ability passed down from Targaryen to Targaryen.. wether it is a continuing phenomenon with Dany im sure he didnt want to speculate.

@asadister - Tyrion encountered Aegon in one book, and Aegon managed to get back to Westeros on a ship within that same book, he wasn't as far east as Mereen, but still he travelled quickly. It didn't take Victarion and the Iron Fleet long (in terms of books) to reach Mereen either, as they are there at the beginning of Winds of Winter. Dany has a huge advantage that she has dragons that can fly; so why is it so silly to presume that she is going to return to Westeros?

undeserved scorn. I mean, the dragons are main features of this story. I personally think Dany is a bit, well, goofy. Kinda like many other teenage girls. But I read her chapters for the dragons. They are a force of nature. Aegon the conqueror (which she is not) had a small force and three dragons, and his two sisters, who were also his wives (sister-wives). They melted Harrenhal. He made the king in the north bend the knee, right? He united the seven kingdoms, right? No force could stand against them.

How many people did Drogon kill in that single bout of flame? Was it 214, or 241, or 314? I forgot and am too lazy to go look it up. No matter. Personally, I am looking for Drogon to change Dany into something else, teach her a valuable lesson, which is the nature of a remorseless dragon who eats meat for breakfast lunch and dinner and does not suffer fools easily.

The dragons are part of the main overarching storyline, I hope, and as such are more important than any of the political intrigue, sexual exploits, and religious fervor going on throughout this world. This is really what Dany will learn from Drogon. If this is the case, then I'll happily follow Danys stories until the end of the series wherever she and the dragons go. She and Bran are where the real pull of this story is for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived