Dragonsteel Theory

greygnarl

I am not gonna quote myself. That is wrong.

I didn't like the way the last part read. I think it will be hard finding out what Dragonsteel is. I think knowing where to get some will be easy, once they know what it is. Not that getting it will be easy. I mean if not Throne of Swords, then the bars of Queenscrown, somewhere there will be a large amount of it. It would have been used for something eles. which is why I think that its the Throne.

The Last Hero and Azor Ahai seem to me to be legendary figures based on the same hero that battled the Long Night. The differences in their stories can be attributed to the different regions in which they are told. Each story seems to fit the culture and religion of were it originated.

(Dawn may not be Lightbringer)

So that takes us down a different path...

Dragonbone being used in bows and needles tells us two very important things about its properties.

1) It bends easily

2) It is easily shaped and since they're immune to fire, it had to be done with a blade.

Those are two things you definitely DON'T want a sword made out of. If steel can shape it, steel can cut it in half.

I agree with everything your saying, besides them having to use steel to shape the bone.

They could have shaped it using rock grinders. Start out using a rougher rock, that spins, and you work your way down to smoother ones until you get the shape you want.

Also, just because it was used for bows, that does not neccisarily mean it bends "easily", I think it would just mean that it bends before it would break. Dragonbone bows are said to outdistance all other bows, so that would mean they are pretty hard to bend. So I am guessing that if the bone was thick enough, it would be very hard to bend.

the last hero used dragonsteel

azhor azhai used lightbringer

(Dawn may be lightbringer)

draw your own conclusions

Elio (?) has a video up on Dawn which makes me think dragonsteel is steel made from meteorite iron. It was pale, it could cut through armor, it was ancient, yada yada. Also: meteorites are pretty darn hot = dragon-y

Elio (?) has a video up on Dawn which makes me think dragonsteel is steel made from meteorite iron. It was pale, it could cut through armor, it was ancient, yada yada. Also: meteorites are pretty darn hot = dragon-y

Being "pale" is not the same thing as creating its own light and heat, light that resembled fire mind you, not "milkglass".

Dragonbone being used in bows and needles tells us two very important things about its properties.

1) It bends easily

Those are two things you definitely DON'T want a sword made out of. If steel can shape it, steel can cut it in half.

It bends more easily than some materials. but bows have to be quite stiff if they're going to be effective as weapons.

Assuming that this whole thing has something to do with RL and that fighting others has to do with low temperatures:

Obsidian was called dragonglass. Now why would you do it? How do you conclude that obsidian has something to do with dragons? The answer could be heat. Obsidian is produced when a extremely hot material cools down fast.

But why is it special? Because it can be a extremely sharp weapon, sharper than steel and is still sometimes used as a surgical tool.

Now, what could dragonsteel be? I'm guessing something similar to steel, combined with heat and somehow, improved usage. Meteorites are hot. And some meteorites are nickel-iron in their structure, making them similar to steel, but with a better ductility. This works better when exposed to extremely low temperatures: steel and it's quality drop significantly under -130°C, but copper, nickel and aluminium keep it's quality. So unlike braking when faced with the others, these weapons should behave the same way as in normal conditions.

tl:dr - I'm with the meteorite theory :D

Edit: Also, assuming I'm not really misreading and failing to remember stuff a lot :D

Assuming that this whole thing has something to do with RL and that fighting others has to do with low temperatures:

Obsidian was called dragonglass. Now why would you do it? How do you conclude that obsidian has something to do with dragons? The answer could be heat. Obsidian is produced when a extremely hot material cools down fast.

But why is it special? Because it can be a extremely sharp weapon, sharper than steel and is still sometimes used as a surgical tool.

Now, what could dragonsteel be? I'm guessing something similar to steel, combined with heat and somehow, improved usage. Meteorites are hot. And some meteorites are nickel-iron in their structure, making them similar to steel, but with a better ductility. This works better when exposed to extremely low temperatures: steel and it's quality drop significantly under -130°C, but copper, nickel and aluminium keep it's quality. So unlike braking when faced with the others, these weapons should behave the same way as in normal conditions.

Yet can notch the hell out of a steal sword in a duel as Dawn did to the laughing knight?

I don't agree, but...

The defense for Dawn being pale as 'milkglass', and still being Lightbringer is that a light-bulb looks the same way before you 'flip the switch'.

That might work if Lightbringer was said to shine with white light, but it doesn't, Lightbringer looked alive with the light of fire. A "milkglass lightbulb" would not shine like fire when it's "turned on".

Yet can notch the hell out of a steal sword in a duel as Dawn did to the laughing knight?

Again, a warning: It's been a while since I've had my last physics (or chemistry, for that matter) class:

Theoretically, It could, depending on the way the combination was handled and how both of the swords were forged. Depending on the amount of carbon, still gets harder and stronger and easier to cast (so I'm guessing that's what you want when making a weapon), but it rusts more easily, it's harder to handle and brakes more often than it bends. Now, I'm not saying that the two weapons are completely different, I don't think they would be calling it "Steel" in the first place if they where. But an increased nickle count could make the weapon better: that's what they do in stainless steel nowadays.

And since nickel isn't usually found on earth (it is, but rarely and very deep) but is common for meteorites, that could be the difference.

That might work if Lightbringer was said to shine with white light, but it doesn't, Lightbringer looked alive with the light of fire. A "milkglass lightbulb" would not shine like fire when it's "turned on".

Calls to mind Jaime's fever dream when the swords he and Brienne wielded "caught fire" Maybe they were dragonsteel.

• 1 month later...

Archived